• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question for you 1911 carriers

LR Yote 312

McX has also handled my 1911 more than a few times as well.
Enough to know what areas to upgrade.

There is also the G.I. model from Springfield Armory to consider.

Picked mine up for $ 470 something add a set of Hogue grips
and its still well under $600.

.45 ammo has jumped bigtime in prices.
Last time I looked for a 250 rd box it was over $100

ETA: China mart by me hasnt stocked .45 ammo in over 2 years.

LR Yote

Last edited:

polekat

Last time I was at Walmart in Mukwonago (a couple of days ago), they had two 100 round boxes of 45 ACP 230 grain FMJ. For quite some time they had trouble keeping some ammo in stock, but it seems some of the buying pressure is down and they usually have some on the shelf.

The price could be closer to $32.00 per box of 100 than $36.00 per box.

M

McX

thanks guys for all the help and input. my order went out, and i should see it sometime this week. it's a 2 tone gun, never had one of those before. kinda like laundau roofs, back in the day? wonder if it comes with optional curb feelers? heh-heh, now i have to go on the look for a retention holster for it. the guy at the gun shop didnt know if any were avail, since it was an import, but said he would try it in some of the in stock retention holsters to see if one would match it. if not i guess it's the less than stylish but practical nylon holster. it's ok though, i have a shoulder rig all set up for it, for when concealed comes. now i have to name it...........any ideas? i was thinking of just calling it simply: Two Tone, but i'm open for more catchy suggestions. Also, i realy hate to do this, and i'm probably asking for trouble, but can i carry cond. 1 hammer down on this machine? it is a double action. or would all in attendance suggest hammer back, safety on? i do like the "i mean business" look of a hammer back. But i'm concerned while riding around in the holster, could the safety go from on to off? anyone ever have that happen to them? I chased Springfield all over the shop when he came to visit on Saturday, and while i was able to touch it, i couldnt get a firm grip on his 1911, he's pretty spry for an old guy!

Plus i had some other questions: i heard that when carrying condition 1, the bullet in the chamber is compressed into the case a bit. does this affect performance? should i save that round, and always feed that one when i rack into cond. 1? will this repeated rack in and out continue to compress it more? Should i pull the round, after racking out, and set it aside as a range use reject type of thing? then use a fresh round on the next rack in? should i checked racked in and out shells with a dial caliper, and if they are compressed reject them to the range round reject box? How much undersize compression is acceptable? Thousandths wise i mean- like a racked out round might be .005 less than a fresh round- is that the size compression to expect?

Last edited:

LR Yote 312

thanks guys for all the help and input. my order went out, and i should see it sometime this week. . now i have to name it...........any ideas? i was thinking of just calling it simply: Two Tone, but i'm open for more catchy suggestions. Also, i realy hate to do this, and i'm probably asking for trouble, but can i carry cond. 1 hammer down on this machine? it is a double action. or would all in attendance suggest hammer back, safety on? i do like the "i mean business" look of a hammer back. But i'm concerned while riding around in the holster, could the safety go from on to off? anyone ever have that happen to them? I chased Springfield all over the shop when he came to visit on Saturday, and while i was able to touch it, i couldnt get a firm grip on his 1911, he's pretty spry for an old guy!

If your happy with it thats what counts...Like a few others here I would like to have seen ya running something a little higher quality.
But that is just my own personal opinion.
I know how hard ya gotta work for what ya get...and in this time of instability its hard savin coin....especially for something you hope to never use.

2 tone...2 step...Clicky ....Enforcer....Smiley...are just a couple of names I can come up.
I am sure there will be other suggestions.

.45acp...9mm and 380acp along with a few others chamber on the case mouth.
Depending where or how much freebore or jump is in the barrel.....some go a few thousands...
some have ten thou.

Mike a live round for the OAL...then chamber it 3 or 4 times and you should see it become shorter.
After abit I will pull that round from the stack and box it...once I get a few in the box its off to the range to use them up.

Hornady shows max length to be 1.220

Short rounds put a play on the pressure...with a pistol round and its taper crimp the pressure could get higher
because your seating the bullet tighter into the taper crimp.
Becareful playin with short rounds.

LR Yote

Last edited:
M

McX

yeah, i know LR, but i had to move fast, while i still had approval from the government, and i had to abide by government spending guidelines, plus it would break my heart to even put a scratch on a nice 1911, so i can slum around with the new gun, and not feel bad if it ding it. cadillac tastes, and ford wallet. anyone who knows me that's true, as they have all seen what i drive. besides, my hope of you tripping and falling while i'm chasing you for that nice 1911 you carry still remains.

LR Yote 312

yeah, i know LR, but i had to move fast, while i still had approval from the government, and i had to abide by government spending guidelines, plus it would break my heart to even put a scratch on a nice 1911, so i can slum around with the new gun, and not feel bad if it ding it. cadillac tastes, and ford wallet. anyone who knows me that's true, as they have all seen what i drive. besides, my hope of you tripping and falling while i'm chasing you for that nice 1911 you carry still remains.

Best chance of that is after work...or a day at the farm while the limp is at its worst.

I still see a nice 1911 in your future.

Dont worry if ya get one too short...I have a puller and a seater die.
We can fix 'em.

LR Yote

Last edited:

LR Yote 312

capable of removing the fingerprints...............or so i heard.

I was talkin with one guy at the pistol range...He claimed they also made a .30 Carbine version...
I have never seen a .44 Automag live and in person so I dont know if he was full of B.S. or not.
I would still love to have the .44 version ...and "B Co. or A Co." Walker...and a Custer number ranged SAA...as well as a few other things...

LR Yote

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Call it "Fonz"

... i realy hate to do this, and i'm probably asking for trouble, but can i carry cond. 1 hammer down on this machine? it is a double action. or would all in attendance suggest hammer back, safety on? i do like the "i mean business" look of a hammer back. But i'm concerned while riding around in the holster, could the safety go from on to off? anyone ever have that happen to them?....

Plus i had some other questions: i heard that when carrying condition 1, the bullet in the chamber is compressed into the case a bit. does this affect performance?....
Here is the owner's manual for the pistol. It will answer many of your questions.

As far as bullet setback, different brands of cartridges respond differently to being chambered. There is a study somewhere on the internet. My memory is a little hazy, but I do remember that Cor-Bons don't change at all after repeated chambering. Other brands change A LOT. The obvious solution would be to have the Cor-Bons in position in your mags to being chambered first.

The safety has never come off accidentally
on my 1911, but it is rotated up to safe; I believe your new .45 works in the opposite direction. :uhoh:

Last edited:
M

McX

stop it you guys, your adding too many guns to my want to buy list! i looked over the owners manual, and thank you all for your help. i noticed the hand in the pic on the manual is a girl's. i hope i didnt buy a 'girl gun', i'll never live that one down!

LR Yote 312

stop it you guys, your adding too many guns to my want to buy list! i looked over the owners manual, and thank you all for your help. i noticed the hand in the pic on the manual is a girl's. i hope i didnt buy a 'girl gun', i'll never live that one down!

Is it Pink 2 tone ??

LR Yote

M

McX

no pink grips, homey dont play that. but i think i have settled on a name; Chrome Dome, cause the gun is a little light and reflective on the top, like me. wonder if that gun lost all it's color on top when the kids showed up too?

added on edit: yep, i'll call him Chromie for short, like Chromie dont play that.

i can see it now:

dirtbag: old man, give me your money.
me: nah, kid, i dont think so
dirtbag: why not?
me; cause Chromie dont play that.

insert Collateral briefcase scene, and add in as he walks away: Dank yoo come agin.

Chromie joins the rest of the family: Looter shooters- got a few of them, aka; lootarian shootarian devices, Smacky- aka Smack Ye, Disruptor, and ofcourse Precious- who is enjoying the winter off by the way.

Last edited:

polekat

I prefer Safariland holsters. Safariland also features suede lining to help protect the guns sights and finish. Some holsters have no lining and are harder on finishes.

They were on sale at Optics planet. There are IDPA approved models without hoods. And there are some with hoods. They offer mid, high and low ride models. Lots of choices. I have a 6377 for 1911s and they work with 5 inch to 3 inch barrels (paid $29.32). It stays in the holster until the release button is pressed.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/safariland-concealment-holsters.html

Milt Sparks make very nice holsters. I like the Versa Max 2.

Last edited: