• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ranges that allows guests without a permit

mark9073

imported post

no anger management needed.. when you are old enough to have the responsibility of weapons handling then you also have enough knowledge to know that most shooting ranges have rules and regulations in place to protect your'e safety as well as those of guests. along with this, most ranges will allow guests under supervision of those that have experience as well as proper training, experience is usually aquired with time. proof is required ex. permit holder for at least one year,proof ofadvanced training etc. not just "i have a permit so i know everything attitude". I personally visit wolf's with unpermitted guests and have never had a problem, why, because i have experience and can prove knowledge.

00 Buck

imported post

Not trying to bump up an old thread, but as someone who isn't from CT but whose better half does have family there and do visit every once in a while (its a long drive from NC)......

What kind of permit are we talking about? an actual carry permit or like a range safety card?

Most public ranges around here (NC) make you take a short saftey quiz (20 minutes or so) to prove you know the difference between a muzzle, chamber, grip etc.

Have never heard of anyone needing anything from the state to shoot at a public range

LKB3rd

imported post

The permit being referred to is a CT carry permit. It is required in CT to buy handguns, or transport them anywhere outside your house.

00 Buck wrote:
Not trying to bump up an old thread, but as someone who isn't from CT but whose better half does have family there and do visit every once in a while (its a long drive from NC)......

What kind of permit are we talking about? an actual carry permit or like a range safety card?

Most public ranges around here (NC) make you take a short saftey quiz (20 minutes or so) to prove you know the difference between a muzzle, chamber, grip etc.

Have never heard of anyone needing anything from the state to shoot at a public range

GoldCoaster

imported post

It's a Connecticut Permit to carry Pistols and Revolvers - most people call it a concealed carry permit but it doesn't say squat about concealment.

In order to buy one or travel with one intra-state you need this bit of plastic.

GunOwnerJoe

imported post

dbernor wrote:
The Indoor Range in Monroe on Rt 25 does NOT allow non-permittees in the range at all.
I shot there when I did not have my permit BUT you can only shoot a .22 Guys are very informative and helpful. it's where I took my class, purchased my first pistol and have been going to for over a year or so.

Hope this helps.

-Joe

smash29

imported post

wolfsemployee wrote:
if you dont have your permit for 1 yr with one years experience... then you cant bring guests. guests with out a permit cannot use rentals.the policy is there for yours and our safety.
I really wish they would apply the rules of my birth state, Connecticut,to the ranges of my adopted state, Georgia. With all the"non-permit" visitorsand new (<1 year experience)shooters at the ranges here the mayhem and carnage must be seen to be believed!

:quirky

sdrct

imported post

Smash29- lots of people complain about those rules, you kind of validate the reason whysome of themexist.

Lots of fun to see your avatar, it's been a while. One of the highlights of my young life was to meet and spend a pretty fair amount of time with Gordie Howein the mid and late Sixties, during his glory days with the Red Wings (he was a close friend of friends of the family whenI was growing up in the Detroit area). The Whalers are still missed in this area by some pretty die hard fans.

smash29

imported post

sdrct wrote:
Smash29- lots of people complain about those rules, you kind of validate the reason why some of them exist.

Lots of fun to see your avatar, it's been a while. One of the highlights of my young life was to meet and spend a pretty fair amount of time with Gordie Howe in the mid and late Sixties, during his glory days with the Red Wings (he was a close friend of friends of the family when I was growing up in the Detroit area). The Whalers are still missed in this area by some pretty die hard fans.

I was actually being sarcastic with my comment. Despite what many of the "non-initiated" may think, people are not shooting themselves, each other, or the building/ceiling/roof of the ranges all that often down here and those that are would likely do it no matter how much supervision they receive or what rules the range may implement. CTs gun laws and the attitudes of the people I've encountered in my CT gun shop experiences make me very happy that I don't live there anymore. Down here most everyone I've met at gun shops and shows has been very friendly and a great ambassador (sp?) for the firearms hobby/interest/passion. The same cannot be said for those I've met up there. I know I shouldn't paint with such a broad brush, but that's been my experience.

Now as for Gordie Howe (IMHO the greatest all around hockey player ever), yeah, he was and is still a great guy! I met him so many times in and around Hartford when I was growing up that it became a non-event after a while. He was always very accessible and very friendly and I used to badger my Dad into buying me a new NHL pennant every time we went to "The Mall" for a game just so I could get him to autograph it. I sometimes have to imagine what it would be like to run into old #99 on a weekly basis to understand how awesome it was to grow up seeing Gordie so often. Good times, and I'm still just as bitter now as I was in April 1997 when Karmanos and Bettman killed that joy for me forever. Or at least until I become a bazillionaire, buy the Hurricanes, move them back to Hartford.
:celebrate

Covert1911

imported post

I take My Girlfriend to Wolfs all the time, (She is now in the process of getting Her permit), but the big guy at the counter just let Me know I was responsible for Her actions. I don't believe they will rent out a gun to a non-permit holder, but You should be able to bring a friend to shoot Your guns without a problem.