• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recent Arizona shooting - observations

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Now that we have that out of the way, did you know the 45/70 was the perfect Deer rifle?:lol:

May be the perfect round in a deer pistol - 'cause you know that long guns are not the measure here. :lol:.....

Besides if it's done right, shouldn't that be a perfect venison load. :lol:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
May be the perfect round in a deer pistol - 'cause you know that long guns are not the measure here. :lol:.....

Besides if it's done right, shouldn't that be a perfect venison load. :lol:

I kinda like my pistol and rifle to shoot the same thing. Saves space in my pocket.:lol:

little.jpg

All American Nightmare

I doubt you could get one through FOIA. They are clearly marked on the covers and inside they are for "distribution to Law Enforcement Only"...

And I can neither confirm or deny the existence of 4 copies of this report from the mid 1990's in my personal library... ;)
LEA can put any wording they choose. The FBI still has to follow Federal FOIA laws http://www.justice.gov/oip/foia_updates/Vol_XVII_4/page2.htm Anyone know if the feds would try to shine us on?

Last edited:

grylnsmn

Might as well try

I doubt you could get one through FOIA. They are clearly marked on the covers and inside they are for "distribution to Law Enforcement Only"...

And I can neither confirm or deny the existence of 4 copies of this report from the mid 1990's in my personal library... ;)

We won't know until someone tries. I've never done a FOIA request before, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

If you can post (or PM me) the information on the report (name/title, approximate length, etc), I'll use that to submit a request for the most recent 2-3 copies of the report, and then arrange to make it available to everyone else here.

All American Nightmare

We won't know until someone tries. I've never done a FOIA request before, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

If you can post (or PM me) the information on the report (name/title, approximate length, etc), I'll use that to submit a request for the most recent 2-3 copies of the report, and then arrange to make it available to everyone else here.
How far are you willing to push for the info you seek?

grylnsmn

How far are you willing to push for the info you seek?

I'm not sure. I'd have to evaluate that as we go along. If they demanded hundreds of dollars, I'd have to think about it. If it's not excessive, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

According to the FBI's website, they don't charge for a FOIA request under 100 pages that requires less than 2 hours of search time. They would also request consent from me if the search would cost more than $25, and only charge $0.10 per page after the first 100. I don't consider either of those limits excessive.

From reading a bit more on their site, a report on ammunition wouldn't seem to fall under any of the nine exemptions they list, and if Dreamer can give a few more details on the actual report (title, which division issues it, etc), it should be extremely easy for them to find (almost definitely less than 2 hours). By all indications, it should be a relatively straightforward request.

As I said, there's no way to know until we try. I'm willing to at least try to request it. What's the worst that could happen? They say no? Even then, at least we would have more information.

All American Nightmare

I'm not sure. I'd have to evaluate that as we go along. If they demanded hundreds of dollars, I'd have to think about it. If it's not excessive, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

According to the FBI's website, they don't charge for a FOIA request under 100 pages that requires less than 2 hours of search time. They would also request consent from me if the search would cost more than $25, and only charge $0.10 per page after the first 100. I don't consider either of those limits excessive.

From reading a bit more on their site, a report on ammunition wouldn't seem to fall under any of the nine exemptions they list, and if Dreamer can give a few more details on the actual report (title, which division issues it, etc), it should be extremely easy for them to find (almost definitely less than 2 hours). By all indications, it should be a relatively straightforward request.

As I said, there's no way to know until we try. I'm willing to at least try to request it. What's the worst that could happen? They say no? Even then, at least we would have more information.
Money is not going to be the problem. Getting the FBI to release the documents is going to be the problem. You will have to file a complaint or a writ to get them released.Here is the link to fed FOIA website. http://www.rcfp.org/fogg/index.php?index.html

grylnsmn

Money is not going to be the problem. Getting the FBI to release the documents is going to be the problem. You will have to file a complaint or a writ to get them released.Here is the link to fed FOIA website. http://www.rcfp.org/fogg/index.php?index.html

I'm sorry, but it almost seems like you are trying to talk me out of trying to request the ammo/ballistics reports.

I've actually read up on the process a bit since I made my initial offer, and I understand I might need to file an appeal or a complaint. However, all of that is irrelevant if I don't get the information I need to request the specific documents in question. As I've already said, I am willing to make the request if someone can give me the information that will help me target the request (such as the title of the report and the division that issues it).

All American Nightmare

I'm sorry, but it almost seems like you are trying to talk me out of trying to request the ammo/ballistics reports.

I've actually read up on the process a bit since I made my initial offer, and I understand I might need to file an appeal or a complaint. However, all of that is irrelevant if I don't get the information I need to request the specific documents in question. As I've already said, I am willing to make the request if someone can give me the information that will help me target the request (such as the title of the report and the division that issues it).
Not at all. There is a sharp learing curve with FOIA's. If you do not have the name of the report you need FOIA something that could lead you to it.

grylnsmn

Not at all. There is a sharp learing curve with FOIA's. If you do not have the name of the report you need FOIA something that could lead you to it.

Or, we could ask Dreamer, who claimed to have copies of an older version of the report (courtesy of his earlier employment) earlier in this thread. Last I checked, that's what I did. ;)