• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Relocating to Henderson

Turbod'1

Mike, I'll offer some of my experiences since moving to Henderson last August. Keep in mind that I live in one of the nicer parts of Henderson where crime isn't all that much of an issue, if that matters.

After being here for around 30 days [after becoming a Nevada Resident], I knew I only had 60 days to register, so I went to the station located about 1.5 miles away on Green Valley Parkway. I initially went in without my firearm and told the Desk Sgt what I was there to do; he just said to make sure it was unloaded. I brought in in in a case with a barrel lock.

No issues whatsoever. I did ask about open carry and he said "I wouldn't recommend that." -- not in a hostile way, just like a canned response.

Since last August I've been to [and to keep it related -- ONLY in Henderson and off the top of my head)

Smiths
Food For Less
MANY gas stations/ convenience stores
Walgreens
Walmart
2 Barbershops (can't remember the names)
Cheveron
Subway
Gamestop
McDonalds
Multiple Smoke Shops
Barnes and Nobles Book store
Target
Several Gun stores
KFC
Pet Smart
Office Depot

...you know what, I suppose it's not that relevant as I could go on and on. Been to many of them dozens of times to boot.

Not only have I NEVER been asked to leave ANY establishment, it seems that most people either don't notice [Glock 23 in a Blackhawk holster (not entirely subtle)], don't care or just demonstrate casual curiosity/friendly excitement. At least 2 people thought I was either Police or security. I educated them in a friendly manner as I tend to do.

You'll be fine here. :)

Last edited:

MikeLovell

Mike, I'll offer some of my experiences since moving to Henderson last August. Keep in mind that I live in one of the nicer parts of Henderson where crime isn't all that much of an issue, if that matters.

Out of interest, the nicer parts of Henderson are where? Is there some kind of North/South or East/West divide in terms of crime?

After being here for around 30 days [after becoming a Nevada Resident], I knew I only had 60 days to register, so I went to the station located about 1.5 miles away on Green Valley Parkway. I initially went in without my firearm and told the Desk Sgt what I was there to do; he just said to make sure it was unloaded. I brought in in in a case with a barrel lock.

Okay, so he didn't say it needed to be in a case?

No issues whatsoever. I did ask about open carry and he said "I wouldn't recommend that." -- not in a hostile way, just like a canned response.

Since last August I've been to [and to keep it related -- ONLY in Henderson and off the top of my head)

I guess they get a lot of calls for open carry, so he was trying to discourage you. But then that's what the movement is about.

Gaining acceptance and desensitizing people, so seeing a gun isn't so sensational to them.

Smiths
Food For Less
MANY gas stations/ convenience stores
Walgreens
Walmart
2 Barbershops (can't remember the names)
Cheveron
Subway
Gamestop
McDonalds
Multiple Smoke Shops
Barnes and Nobles Book store
Target
Several Gun stores
KFC
Pet Smart
Office Depot

...you know what, I suppose it's not that relevant as I could go on and on. Been to many of them dozens of times to boot.

Not only have I NEVER been asked to leave ANY establishment, it seems that most people either don't notice [Glock 23 in a Blackhawk holster (not entirely subtle)], don't care or just demonstrate casual curiosity/friendly excitement. At least 2 people thought I was either Police or security. I educated them in a friendly manner as I tend to do.

You'll be fine here. :)

That's what I can imagine happening, as I tend to dress smart, they might make the assumption. My guns are all in a black finish in a black holster, which is usually what you see on LEO.

I'm not to familiar with Glock's, but I have a Sig P226 MK25 and a P229. Both are pretty big, but the P226 you'd definitely not miss, it's a pretty big boy.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Okay, so he didn't say it needed to be in a case?...

...I guess they get a lot of calls for open carry, so he was trying to discourage you. ...

I've been yelled at for bringing it in in a case. Other times, they politely tell me they prefer it in a case. There is no way to predict what they want. I bring in with action open, uncased, and held in my hands in a non-firing hold.

They do not get a lot of calls about open carry, despite more and more people doing it. He was just giving you his personal, uneducated, superior-sounding opinion, as they are wont to do.

MikeLovell

I've been yelled at for bringing it in in a case. Other times, they politely tell me they prefer it in a case. There is no way to predict what they want. I bring in with action open, uncased, and held in my hands in a non-firing hold.

So a bit of a lottery then. I guess if you also used a chamber safety flag as well, surely would be no way they could complain about that.

They do not get a lot of calls about open carry, despite more and more people doing it. He was just giving you his personal, uneducated, superior-sounding opinion, as they are wont to do.

Fair enough. I do sometimes listen to police dispatch, never done that for Henderson. That would probably be a way to see what's going on, and who is reporting what.

z28power

Out of interest, the nicer parts of Henderson are where? Is there some kind of North/South or East/West divide in terms of crime?

Downtown henderson is typically going to be higher crime, as is the case in most cities. If you are looking for broad strokes:
http://www.billsmithlv.com/zipcodemap.htm

89052, 89074, 89012, are generally higher priced homes because they are in "nicer areas". However you sometimes need to get down to smaller segments, of town, as there are nicer areas at the suburbs/outskirts of some of the far east henderson (closer to Lake Las Vegas) and the southwestern portions.

I don't make any recommendation of realtors, that link was simply the first one I found of MLS Area Codes with a map. :)

Here's a crime map that you can interact with: http://sellstatedeluxe.com/2013/07/28/las-vegas-crime-map/

Turbod'1

Downtown henderson is typically going to be higher crime, as is the case in most cities. If you are looking for broad strokes:

89052, 89074, 89012, are generally higher priced homes because they are in "nicer areas". However you sometimes need to get down to smaller segments, of town, as there are nicer areas at the suburbs/outskirts of some of the far east henderson (closer to Lake Las Vegas) and the southwestern portions.

I don't make any recommendation of realtors, that link was simply the first one I found of MLS Area Codes with a map. :)

Here's a crime map that you can interact with: http://sellstatedeluxe.com/2013/07/28/las-vegas-crime-map/

89074 here so, yes... higher prices, less crime it seems. That said, I would have expected to attract the anti's/fearful... just hasn't happened. I believe that as long as you don't come off as threatening, the yuppies around here won't even notice.

MikeLovell

Aha, thank you.

89074 here so, yes... higher prices, less crime it seems. That said, I would have expected to attract the anti's/fearful... just hasn't happened. I believe that as long as you don't come off as threatening, the yuppies around here won't even notice.

I don't want people jumping out of their skin! :)