• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reply from my newly-elected State Representative

baseballguy2001

Lone Star Veteran
Look, what's the goal here? In my mind, the goal is self-protection for me and my family from the less than model citizens in this society if I'm out and about, or in my own home. I have a CHL in Texas, and I welcome and support the OC folks. The Libs in this country have successfully planted the idea that guns are bad. We have a substantial repair job to do and screaming between ourselves doesn't help. The incremental approach is the way to go I think. Licensed OC IS a step forward. Folks walking around with Glocks openly makes the sheeple nervous. If, on the other hand, the public knew an open carrier has shown he/she is a trustworthy, honest, responsible, non-criminal member of Texas, that would go a long way to getting the sheeple used to seeing guns being carried openly. OK, where am I wrong?

CliffH

.... The incremental approach is the way to go I think. Licensed OC IS a step forward. Folks walking around with Glocks openly makes the sheeple nervous. If, on the other hand, the public knew an open carrier has shown he/she is a trustworthy, honest, responsible, non-criminal member of Texas, that would go a long way to getting the sheeple used to seeing guns being carried openly. OK, where am I wrong?

I believe it will take the general population the same amount of time to get used to seeing armed people whether the OC'ers are licensed or not.

They may accept the fact of OC without resorting to phoning 911 every time they see it if licenses are required, but I doubt it. People who're going to call aren't normally the kind who will educate themselves on gun laws.

Licenses cost individuals money. Some can't afford licenses, thus they can't carry.

B.D. WALKER

Look, what's the goal here? In my mind, the goal is self-protection for me and my family from the less than model citizens in this society if I'm out and about, or in my own home. I have a CHL in Texas, and I welcome and support the OC folks. The Libs in this country have successfully planted the idea that guns are bad. We have a substantial repair job to do and screaming between ourselves doesn't help. The incremental approach is the way to go I think. Licensed OC IS a step forward. Folks walking around with Glocks openly makes the sheeple nervous. If, on the other hand, the public knew an open carrier has shown he/she is a trustworthy, honest, responsible, non-criminal member of Texas, that would go a long way to getting the sheeple used to seeing guns being carried openly. OK, where am I wrong?

Personally I am cool with licensed OC as a first step for Texans to have a legal means to carry in the open. But I don't think that would educate the unarmed people or make the sheeple any less sheepish. This is because license or no license these individuals would not even bother to ask the person for it before calling 911.

I believe the education such quick 911 dialer need is to simply see law abiding armed citizens walk among them day and night with OC and see for themselves that they are not breaking the law, harming other or them self.

I don't know if most would agree with me, but the general public are so skeptical about guns because they do not know about it. The out of sight out of mind attitude is really harming us. They think just a hand full of citizens are armed and that everyone else is a criminal; now if they knew that over 400,000 Texans alone are armed with at least one gun (but lets be honest who has just one gun in their house?), this might push our cause since the streets are not running red with blood right now should it matter how one carries their firearm.

I think OC in Texas would do lots more than just give us our rights back and a different option for carrying; but also help in educating the unarmed people and hopefully suede them to our side.

Last edited:

rushcreek2

Guns are very dangerous tools that are universally considered to be weapons.
I overhead a D.A. recently in the courtroom make the assertion to the jury that "Handguns have only one purpose -and that is to kill people."

That was a gross over generalization intended to demonize the defendent on trial for murder for actually owning a handgun - and a bit hypocritical - since I am absolutely certain that same prosecutor carries a concealed handgun for his own protection.

This is the sort of attitude that exists in our society. If you carry a handgun -AND IT IS IN PLAIN VIEW - "Why do you want to kill people?" I know several people who have expressed interest in obtaining a CHL for years - but still have not taken that step. Even my own current 24/7 armed condition is the result of a journey of many years, and remains a work in progress.

People in the first stages of this process are not likely to jump right into "Open Carry" whether they obtain a CCW or not. Much thought and mental conditioning should proceed the decision to "OC". I personally believe that good windows of opportunity exist for BRIEF DURATIONS of "OC". In Southern Japan, or maybe Oregon where it rains nearly 300 days out of the year - you will see lots of umbrellas. Not so many in Texas or Colorado - but some Coloradoans and Texans do keep umbrellas handy - just in case.

It's logical to assume that a mandate to conceal will be attached to any successful concealed campus carry bill in Texas. That is the main reason that many are concerned that the "open carry clammer" looms as a "spectre of doom" for CCC, and could very well weaken efforts to relax other CONCEALED restrictions. I personally feel that the CONSTITUTIONAL CONFLICT associated with 46.02 and 46.035 in Texas trumps ANY other legislative issue on the menu of importance. Whether to be a sheep or a CONCEALED sheepdog in any public venue is a no-brainer for me personally because I take my self-defense right very seriously.

Fisherman

Speaking of education, LSCDL will be focusing on that and we're looking for some volunteers that are experienced in marketing (need an experienced marketing director), one or two writers, etc. We need help putting together some of the educational materials and getting them to people all over Texas. Since we all have our day jobs, it'll be easier to do all of this stuff if we can divide it up.

If you have experience and want to volunteer your time, just go to http://www.lonestarcdl.org/about.html and click on the e-mail form for Secretary and let me know what kind of experience you have. Be sure and include your phone number and I'll give you a call. We have some great things going on in the background but we need people to help us "push that big rock over the hill".

Education is key to this whole thing! It'll be hard (a lot of sheeple out there) but if we work together, we can do it.

I have to get back to work but I just wanted to say, thanks for the great response. We will be e-mailing the members with more info very soon.

baseballguy2001

Lone Star Veteran
I agree with Walker -- compared to the general population, 400,000 gun owners out of 24,000,000 Texans, we sheep dogs, are a tiny minority. If Texas were to get legal Open Carry, (licensed or no) it would be BIG news and the education of the sheeple begins there. The media will not be on our side that's for sure, but coverage is coverage. Some LEO's won't be with us either, you know the old saying: you may beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride. However, education begins not with the sheeple, but with our reps and senators in the Legislature.

B.D. WALKER

It is true that the very first set of people that need to be enlightened are our state reps and senate members. We cant get anything passed if these people are not willing to vote in favor of the OC bill.

There are lots of people that are thinking of arming themselves to protect their family, home and of course them self. These people are most likely not going to jump straight OCing but go on a gradual process. I like most worked my way to my present state of mind regarding firearms and newly armed citizens would be no different.

But once it is known that OC is just an option not a replacement to CC it should put their mi9nds at ease. Like wise to the unarmed citizens, they need not live in fear. Once OC can get passed, the media would help with the rest (whether with their positive or negative remarks). No matter what the media says then, eventually the true would be seen; at least the same thing happened when CC was passed in Texas and OC in other state. Now the media is forced to eat their words.

OC is a win, win situation the way I see it, all we need to do is get it to pass by talking to the pro-gun group, our state reps and state senate people...

jordanmills

I'm hearing nothing but dead air from incumbents Pete Olson and Randy Weber. Weber's office has been responsive in the past though.

rickc1962

If you are right about the fear people would have about seeing you or me open carrying, then explain to us why then the non gun carrying public is not running for the hills in Az., N.M., Nv., Id., Wy., Mt., Vt., Va., Ky.,Ak., Nc. and any other state I fegot that is friendly to open carry.

Fisherman

If you are right about the fear people would have about seeing you or me open carrying, then explain to us why then the non gun carrying public is not running for the hills in AZ, NM, NV, ID, WY, MT, VT, VA, KY, AK, NC and any other state I forgot that is friendly to open carry.

I would like to know this as well.

billv

MR Redenck

If you are right about the fear people would have about seeing you or me open carrying, then explain to us why then the non gun carrying public is not running for the hills in Az., N.M., Nv., Id., Wy., Mt., Vt., Va., Ky.,Ak., Nc. and any other state I fegot that is friendly to open carry.

The stupidity of Licensed Open Carry is to argue the " Fear Factor"! :lol:
Guns on a persons hip would be the same gun on the same person with or without a license!
People who fear the sight of a firearm will fear them with or without a license.
License to carry is noting more than a preventative measure that would only allow the " ELITIST" to carry. Elitist dont want poor people carrying guns because poor people shouldnt have the same rights as the Elitist! " Not what I believe in" !!!

If you dont believe me, then check out the TexasCHLforum attitude! See below...........

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your CHL.

It is an elite club...make us proud and be safe..
Kimber Pro Carry II - Smith & Wesson 642

USA1

• Website

B.D. WALKER

Thatz the million dollar question that non of the stubborn CCers at TexasCHLForum and anti-gun individuals can ever answer.

MR Redenck

Thatz the million dollar question that non of the stubborn CCers at TexasCHLForum and anti-gun individuals can ever answer.

Because their Elitist. Do you think their going to admit it? NO!
I have asked that question more times than I can remember, never got an answer.
I even made the argument as to why Constitutional Carry works in other states, and why Texans cant be trusted with the same. Nobody has been smart enough to debate that topic with me yet.
I even question people why would other states trust me to carry firearms without a license, but my home state of Texas doesnt! Nobody will debate that subject either.

Licensing in Texas is just a career builder for those who mooch off the working mans rights.

rickc1962

I used to live in Wy. off and on for last 10 years, my no. 1 argument with others gun owners that lived there was about open carry, I heard "no ones stoping you from having a rifle, keep a pistol in your house if you like, if you want to carry just get a permit, the 2nd Amendment is so we can hunt, open carry if you want but its foolish and you will scare people," and my favorite would have to be "this is Wyoming thay will never take our guns away." I know very few gun owners that were friendly with open carry, and thats sad to think that Wy. is like that. I was a member of the Cody Gunfighters for two years where we did reenactments and even the other gunfighters would not carry openly outside the gunfights, the ones that did carry got a permission slip from the state and hid there firearms. I would tell them that England, Germany, Australia and Canada used to say the same thing and you see who that worked out! Thay did not see my piont. It is said there are 90,000,000 gun owners in the U.S. and there are maby 1,000,000 people that open carry, so that leaves 89,000,000 people whos mindset we need to change, how thats done I don`t know, but if the OCers, CCers, Hunters, Sportsmen, Collectors and anyone else who owns guns would stand togather we would see National Open Carry, Constitutional Carry, Restaurant Carry and any other way of Carry you would want, and no more would any state tell us we need to get permission to exercize a God given right protected by the Constitution.

Last edited:

Ravendove

I'm going to jump in here with my first post on this forum. First, hello. Thanks for fighting the good fight and I look forward to getting to know all of you.

Second, I'll be contacting my rep and sen just as soon as I put together a well worded letter. I'll let you guys know how that goes if and when I get a response.

I actually moved here from Tennessee several months ago and, due to the nature of the firearms legislation environment there, I think I bring some useful information and points of view to the table. Tennessee is an open-carry state where a permit holder has the choice of concealing or open-carrying based on their own personal preference. I've done both. I've been stopped by people, both civilian and police, and asked about my handgun and why I carry it. Yes, it is true that most of those people were very nervous just seeing it. Some of them stayed that way and some of them walked away with the new-found knowledge that not everyone who carries a gun is a criminal or a crazy person. The point is, those here who express concerns over people's fear of visible firearms have a valid reason to have that concern. I choose to see that as an opportunity rather than a hindrance, but the fact is there nonetheless.

I also don't see what's being accomplished through insults or belittlement of other pro-second amendment groups. Sure, things have been said and things have been done. But perpetuating that will lead to nothing productive. Look at Korea for an example. I'm not saying some of those people aren't out of their minds, but they've been fighting for a very long time and I don't see much progress. It's just back and forth. They started it. No, they started it. They don't listen to reason. No, they don't listen to reason. On and on and on. Start a new chapter. Sometimes, to accomplish a goal, you have to work with people you don't like. That's just the way of the world. People on the other forum aren't offering to help. Ok, but what's stopping you from asking for it? That's what I'm going to do and if all I can get is one or two people to cross the barrier and join the cause, I'll call that a victory.

Again, thanks for being here and working toward securing our rights. I'm looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish.