• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Restoring The Republic

Gil223

Oh, please. A personal view or opinion is not beyond being wrong. You can have the opinion that you can float and fly with no gadgets or technology, but that doesn't change the fact that you would be wrong nor change the fact that gravity would impart a great and deadly energy should you try to jump off a tall building and fly.

An "opinion" does not have to be followed by an action. As a "personal view" it will always be correct for the individual holding that particular view, until it has been proven wrong to that particular individual's satisfaction. If anarchists acted upon their personal opinions (views) there would be far fewer politicians in this world. (Which, come to think of it, may not be a bad thing!)

As a child, did you get participation awards or some other "everyone is right/a winner" bs?

No, that was probably a concept of your generation. When I attended public schools, you were judged/graded upon your ability to retain and regurgitate the "facts" as they were presented by the teacher. Apparently,Pluto was no more a "planet" back then than it is today - but it was taught as a fact. Establishing "facts" seems to be where the "experts" are occasionally exposed to the "Oh, SH*T factor". (A strong and widely-held belief doesn't always make a "fact" a truth, even if you can enlist the support of other "experts" in that belief.) When I attended public schools, there was no acceptance of other ideas about any subject. There was, however, the now unknown concept of failure, which was readily dispensed if you didn't satisfy the required minimum standard of achievement. If you attended public schools, you too were probably a victim of the 'cookie cutter' mentality. The cookie cutter itself has changed shapes in recent years, because some of the cookies had "less dough" than the others. The prevailing wisdom is now. "If some students can't make the grade, then let's lower the standard" and the amazingly stupid No Child Left Behind policy. (Some children don't have the mental horsepower to keep pace with the rest of the pack, and should be left behind.) I don't want to wander tangetially off into the manifest failures of our education system though, so suffice it to say that when I attended U.S. public schools, independent thought was greatly discouraged, creativity was just barely accepted (and then, only in art classes), and you were only recognized as being "right" if you could spew forth the facts as taught. However, college was a breath of fresh air.

And why would I claim a theory wrong when it is the logical extension of prior well proven work, has easily proven mathematical models and has been shown to fit reality very well through experimentation and observation?

Lacking your omniscience, I have no idea why you would claim anything, nor would I care to guess. However, you do have the right to claim whatever you wish. I also recognize that your opinions (which you have previously claimed not to have) are yours, and that they are at least partially based upon "the facts" as we know them to be today. I do not disagree with you on the "Laws of Thermodynamics" - I do question whether they are complete and all-encompassing. And, I further question that there is no possibility that some day there may be more incorporated into those laws.

Don't you think the entire conformist/nonconformist paradigm a bit pubescent?

Had I known in advance that you, in your omniscience, would have difficulty comprehending it, I would have endeavored to make it pre-pubescent. It was only a parenthetical expression, not a major idea. As I said before, "Conformity of thought is the final refuge of the unimaginative mind". Die gedanken sind frei! Pax... :banghead:

Daylen

No, that was probably a concept of your generation. When I attended public schools, you were judged/graded upon your ability to retain and regurgitate the "facts" as they were presented by the teacher...
Lacking your omniscience, I have no idea why you would claim anything, nor would I care to guess....

Again, wrong. The conformist/nonconformist paradigm was a concept of the early Anglican Church, making it older than The Republic.
Since your learning is limited to rote memorization instead of experimentation, observation and application of mathematics I'll stop replying as such would be useless. As a parting rhetorical note: Why would you make a statement about my knowledge of physics or acceptance of Einstein's models if you have no idea what I have knowledge or skills at deducing (physics) where it comes to applying math models to the physical world. I hope you have rigorously (mathematically) derived Einstein's models before accepting them, assuming you even know what his models are much less their implications, I know I sure did.

Gil223

Again, wrong. The conformist/nonconformist paradigm was a concept of the early Anglican Church, making it older than The Republic.
Since your learning is limited to rote memorization instead of experimentation, observation and application of mathematics I'll stop replying as such would be useless. As a parting rhetorical note: Why would you make a statement about my knowledge of physics or acceptance of Einstein's models if you have no idea what I have knowledge or skills at deducing (physics) where it comes to applying math models to the physical world. I hope you have rigorously (mathematically) derived Einstein's models before accepting them, assuming you even know what his models are much less their implications, I know I sure did.

Thank you, Grand Omniscient one! I am gratified to be consitstently wrong (in the opinion which you claim not to have) in the eyes of the closed-minded, and those who can see no validity in philosophies other than their own. You learned your lessons well, Grasshopper... but you're probably not much fun at a party. Pax... :p

Gil223

Not everything is known to science -
[URL="http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/thinking-tech/10-year-old-student-accidentally-discovers-explosive-new-molecule/10221?tag=nl.e660"[/URL]

and...

[URL="http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/science-scope/17-year-old-devises-potential-cure-for-cancer/12152?tag=content;siu-container"[/URL]

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy..." (my thanks to Will Shakespeare) Pax...;)