• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Retaliation against CT Legislators who voted in favor of gun registration

Primus

The creation of these dumb laws is entirely the fault of the antis. You can't blame someone standing up for their Rights as the reason those Rights are being curtailed by an ever-increasing government bureaucracy.
If anything, another Revolution would be better in the long run: without any single example of a free republic on this Earth, people may forget what Freedom and Liberty once meant.

On a related note: the antis might not know how to use guns right now, but they've shown an incredible talent for being submissive to groupthink opinions, and carrying out "orders" unquestioningly.

One last bit: if I am able to quote you in one year, two years, or five years, I would be glad the infrastructure for doing so remained in place (maybe).

Add.:
Not advocating violence, far from it. As a matter of fact, I wish I could go my entire life without ever having to defend myself from someone wishing to do harm to my loved ones or I. I would love to be known as "crazy gun owner who thought the government wouldn't go back to protecting the people's Rights and Freedoms". But there is one saying that I believe applies to all gun owners who remember the primary reason for owning guns in the first place:
"I train, in earnest, to do what I hope, in earnest, I never have to do."

Here's the problem. Your equating this issue to the Revolution.

This is more akin to the civil war. This is half the population calls for gun legislation and half doesn't. Its all internal of the country.

You would figure that after the civil war people would be wary to ever engage in conflict that again, but it seems some are all too willing to do it again, but this time with the spin of its for the constitution.

I still doubt it will go that route, but again there are those who are begging for it to happen.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Rusty Young Man

Here's the problem. Your equating this issue to the Revolution.

This is more akin to the civil war. This is half the population calls for gun legislation and half doesn't. Its all internal of the country.

You would figure that after the civil war people would be wary to ever engage in conflict that again, but it seems some are all too willing to do it again, but this time with the spin of its for the constitution.

I still doubt it will go that route, but again there are those who are begging for it to happen.

A government which no longer represents the interests of the governed...
A government that wishes to impose its will on the governed...
Vocal support for the government from some...
Small percentage of individuals in the thick of it, doing the actual fighting...

One could argue the American Civil War was a (failed) Revolution for Southern independence.

I've pretty much given up on the possibility of things being fixed at this point. I still hope for it, but I'm not willing to bet on it.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

If it was 50 50 you might be close to being right trouble is its more like 75 pro 22 unsure 3 percent with a large push by the antis and the MSM making it look a like a lot more are for gun control.

Primus

If it was 50 50 you might be close to being right trouble is its more like 75 pro 22 unsure 3 percent with a large push by the antis and the MSM making it look a like a lot more are for gun control.

I was talking very broad "control" like background checks. If I remember correctly overwhelming majority said they'd be ok or in favor of background checks.

The stricter you get the less are in favor. So I agree very few are for the total ban of certain guns, but I think my previous use still stands about gun regulation if you will.

Rusty Young Man

I was talking very broad "control" like background checks. If I remember correctly overwhelming majority said they'd be ok or in favor of background checks.

The stricter you get the less are in favor. So I agree very few are for the total ban of certain guns, but I think my previous use still stands about gun regulation if you will.

The way you word a question makes all the difference:

"A recent study shows that as many as 7 out of 10 husbands beat their spouses. Knowing this, do you agree to stop beating your wife?" - Some Made Up Poll
If you were to answer "yes", you just admitted to having committed assault and battery. If you answer "no", you still admit to wrongdoing, but you also show callousness because you'll continue to beat your wife.

Here's the "90% support background checks" distortion that inspired the above Made Up Poll:
http://www.ammoland.com/2013/04/gun...-support-for-background-checks/#axzz2urfXwVru

Ammoland article said:
Lets look at two differently worded examples of the same question. We will use the Expanded or “Universal Background Checks” issue as the subject for obvious reasons.
Here’s how the question is worded when the poll is paid for by a particular anti rights group or even media outlet that commissions the polling company to produce the results they seek.

1) In order to prevent criminals, terrorists and the mentally deranged from easily obtaining firearms, do you support or oppose Legislation that requires background checks be completed on every person that attempts to acquire a firearm?

Worded that way it should be no surprise, and its not at all newsworthy that the answers would be overwhelmingly in support of such a law, perhaps even the 90 % range of support the President, Anti-Gun Groups and their shills in the media have been claiming.
Because even those that fall squarely on the side of support for Gun Rights, as well as the “fence sitters” and “FUDS” that are really ambivalent about the topic still want to keep bad people from doing bad things.

But lets look at the same question, worded differently, and in such a way that is actually representative of what the defeated Manchin-Toomey Amendment would have made law.

1) In an effort to make it more difficult for criminals, the mentally ill and possibly terrorists from obtaining weapons, do you support or oppose Legislation that would require mandatory background checks for every person attempting to acquire a firearm , even during private sales, trades or transfers amongst people that are well known to each other, such as co-workers, distant relatives, long time neighbors and or friends, even though numerous studies have shown that criminals most often obtain their weapons from black market sales and from theft then any other source ?

Worded that way, chances are better than good that you would see support for such a law plummet. For understandable reasons. Its instinctive to immediately recognize how ridiculous it would be to require that people submit to such a law, particularly when they have long established connections with the prospective purchaser or transferee, especially in light of the fact that criminals already acquire their weapons from sources that “universal background checks” would never apply to anyway.

By the way, the industry jargon for the careful wording of poll questions to get the desired answers to support a pre-ordained, paid for result*is known as “push polling”.
That is why polls such as those paid for and marketed (really a self congratulatory circle jerk) by Anti Gun Groups like MAIG (Mayors Against Illegal Guns), a poll that claimed that 2/3rds majority of NRA Members supported Universal Background Checks are so suspect.
Selection Bias.
The NRA doesn’t publish or release the membership information, so how can MAIG be reasonably certain that those polled actually were in fact NRA Members ? They CANT!

And here's the "politifact" version:
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...giffords-says-americans-overwhelmingly-suppo/

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned

BR checks do little or nothing. I was a dealer for 20+yrs .... I only stopped one sale from going through because of the "straw"purchase rule...never on a BR chk. Felons don't buy from ffls. And it was this way before BR were started.

Primus

BR checks do little or nothing. I was a dealer for 20+yrs .... I only stopped one sale from going through because of the "straw"purchase rule...never on a BR chk. Felons don't buy from ffls. And it was this way before BR were started.

Agreed, wasn't trying to imply I'm for or against BR, was just trying to give some example to watt I was saying.

Rusty Young Man

Agreed, wasn't trying to imply I'm for or against BR, was just trying to give some example to watt I was saying.

Got it. A better analogy may be the percentage of people that mobilize on an issue (to varying degrees, mind you) vs the ones that don't mobilize or care either way:
For example, say that for a given pro-RKBA/Freedom issue about 30% of people don't mobilize or care, 25% half-heartedly* mobilize in support of it, 25% half-sheepedly* mobilize against it, and the remaining 20% of people are split roughly 50:50 into the red-blooded supporters and good-sheep opposition, respectively.:lol:

Either way, the percentage of people that will actively participate in the Connecticut Gun Control Conundrum (*crosses fingers, hoping this name sticks*) will be small.

Also, I'm more than willing to acknowledge that the best possible outcome would be for the "representatives" to see the folly of their ways, repent, and become born-again Freedom lovers. But I'm not about to bet on it.

NOTE: by "half-heartedly", I mean the casual supporters that sign some online petition or may mention the issue, but don't really support it when faced with in-person opposition.
By "sheepedly", you know what I mean.:lol:

@Primus: please understand that my "black&blue brotherhood" line from the other thread was intended as a tongue-in-cheek remark. Somehow, the smiley with its tongue sticking out didn't make it on after I clicked it. Wouldn't be the first time I've had smiley or astrisk problems, but it seems these problems occur only when I use my iPad.

Primus

Got it. A better analogy may be the percentage of people that mobilize on an issue (to varying degrees, mind you) vs the ones that don't mobilize or care either way:
For example, say that for a given pro-RKBA/Freedom issue about 30% of people don't mobilize or care, 25% half-heartedly* mobilize in support of it, 25% half-sheepedly* mobilize against it, and the remaining 20% of people are split roughly 50:50 into the red-blooded supporters and good-sheep opposition, respectively.:lol:

Either way, the percentage of people that will actively participate in the Connecticut Gun Control Conundrum (*crosses fingers, hoping this name sticks*) will be small.

Also, I'm more than willing to acknowledge that the best possible outcome would be for the "representatives" to see the folly of their ways, repent, and become born-again Freedom lovers. But I'm not about to bet on it.

NOTE: by "half-heartedly", I mean the casual supporters that sign some online petition or may mention the issue, but don't really support it when faced with in-person opposition.
By "sheepedly", you know what I mean.:lol:

@Primus: please understand that my "black&blue brotherhood" line from the other thread was intended as a tongue-in-cheek remark. Somehow, the smiley with its tongue sticking out didn't make it on after I clicked it. Wouldn't be the first time I've had smiley or astrisk problems, but it seems these problems occur only when I use my iPad.

You nailed it and said it much better then me with the examples and percentages. That's exactly what I'm talking about. I obviously have no idea what the numbers are, I don't think ANYONE knows the numbers. But you've explained the idea well.

And no hard feelings about the black and blue, I can usually tell when something is in good hearted jest and when its malicious in nature. Your still good in my book.