• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reviewing my new Hi Point .40SW handgun

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

hp-hobo wrote:
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the manufacturer knows more about their gun than some reviewer... But that's just me. So you can decide which is a better source. Hi-Point Firearms or Paul Scarlata.

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/manuals/C-9_CF380.pdf

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/manuals/40sw.pdf

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/manuals/45acp.pdf

Read the first sentence after the CAUTION in each manual.
moz-screenshot-9.png
moz-screenshot-10.png
Snipped from these manuals:
"....we strongly recommend that you not store or handle this, or any other firearm with a cartridge in the barrel...."

Appears to be a position statement for liability purposes rather than a specific warning on these pistols. If I were to take this literally, then High Point is recommending that my 1911s not be carried in condition 1.

Therefore no cigar on your cites. Are you suggesting that they know these pistols will/can/have drop fired?

Any pistol not capable of being carried locked and loaded is IMO not suitable for defensive carry. ymmv

It is interesting that only the C9 and CF380 High Points are on California's list of approved pistols. Probably because the manufacturer did not submit them for inclusion. http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

Yata hey

moz-screenshot-7.png
moz-screenshot-8.png

cscitney87

imported post

KansasMustang wrote:
I've never owned a High point never fired one but I have a Taurus PT140 like the one you pictured. I'm about the same size fella as you, however I have rather large hands. The Taurus is a little small in my hand and almost makes me want to put my index finger along the slide and fire it middle fingered, reckon I can flip the bad guy the bird at the same time I'm bustin' em inna ass.:lol:
The grip just barely fits my hand completely. I ALWAYS feel like putting my index finger on the frame and using my middle finger. I haven't done it for safety reasons- I feel like I'll get a tip lobbed off. When I shoot at the range, I use gloves with that tiny .45. The recoil is a friggin BLAST

RebelHell

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
Thanks for the kind words. I know about the "flame" issue and figured I needed not bring it up. The first place I called for the pistol told me they "don't carry guns that don't fire." I also took note of the grand warrenty. Personally I got the Hi Point only because of the warrenty. My used Taurus came without warrenty. That's fine but I also had to cover my bases, so to speak. About the magazine- I spent time at the above mentioned Hi Point forum and indeed the springs are very tight NIB.
Correct me if I am wrong, doesn't Taurus have a lifetime warranty as well?

cscitney87

imported post

I'm not the original purchaser of the Taurus. I thought I had to be. I cannot believe I never checked this before but it appears that my Taurus DOES have a lifetime warranty on the weapon itself.

"The Taurus Unlimited Lifetime Repair Policy™ is just that. The lifetime of the gun...not the buyer. This is the first warranty of its type in the industry. No other manufacturer has the confidence to extend this kind of offer. Except us. We know how good our guns are, and we are not afraid to stand behind them...for a lifetime.

Our Unlimited Lifetime Repair Policy extends to all Taurus firearms imported or manufactured by Taurus International Manufacturing, Inc. "

Wow RebelHell, Thanks a bunch. I'm going to go ahead and call Taurus up on the phone @ 305-624-1115 Customer Service. Very glad I got the Hi Point anyway- to protect me while my Taurus may be in the shop. Hope that never happens obviously.

RebelHell

imported post

No problem. I have a Taurus 24/7 and have been happy with it. My experience with Taurus' customer support has been a good one. If you catch them duringhunting season however turn around on repairs are a little slow. Not that I blame them much for that.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
I'm not the original purchaser of the Taurus. I thought I had to be. I cannot believe I never checked this before but it appears that my Taurus DOES have a lifetime warranty on the weapon itself.

"The Taurus Unlimited Lifetime Repair Policy™ is just that. The lifetime of the gun...not the buyer. This is the first warranty of its type in the industry. No other manufacturer has the confidence to extend this kind of offer. Except us. We know how good our guns are, and we are not afraid to stand behind them...for a lifetime.

Our Unlimited Lifetime Repair Policy extends to all Taurus firearms imported or manufactured by Taurus International Manufacturing, Inc. "

Wow RebelHell, Thanks a bunch. I'm going to go ahead and call Taurus up on the phone @ 305-624-1115 Customer Service. Very glad I got the Hi Point anyway- to protect me while my Taurus may be in the shop. Hope that never happens obviously.
See you recovered the cost of your membership dues here already. :lol:

Yata hey

The Wolfhound

imported post

There has been a post on the BersaTalk site regarding the High Points. It is universally decried as UGLY and clunkybut at the same timeequally praised for reliability, warranty and cost point.If it hits where you point and goes "BANG" when you ask it to, what more do you really need in a firearm?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

The Wolfhound wrote:
There has been a post on the BersaTalk site regarding the High Points. It is universally decried as UGLY and clunkybut at the same timeequally praised for reliability, warranty and cost point.If it hits where you point and goes "BANG" when you ask it to, what more do you really need in a firearm?
Depends on how much value you place on BBQ points. :D

Yata hey

spikedawg

imported post

i just bought my first hi point (45jhp) about 3 weeks ago. i've put about 300 rounds through it so for. zero problems. it's not gonna win any beauty contest but what a shooter. i paid 179.99 for it and 34.00 for a box of 100 fmj.

cscitney87

imported post

spikedawg wrote:
i just bought my first hi point (45jhp) about 3 weeks ago. i've put about 300 rounds through it so for. zero problems. it's not gonna win any beauty contest but what a shooter. i paid 179.99 for it and 34.00 for a box of 100 fmj.
Congrats! I have no fear carrying my .40 while my Taurus .45 ACP is being repaired under warranty. It's going to be a month or so. What holster do you use?

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Anthony_I_Am wrote:
I'd rather get shot with a Sig than have to carry a hi-point.

Since you carry openly (presumably), you've already espoused the approval of the "normal" folk.

What matter the color/shape/beauty of your generally disapproved accessory?

A tool is a tool (yes this has more than one meaning). :lol:

AbNo

imported post

hp-hobo wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Cite to source, please.

The manufacturer and reviews would seem to disagree. If the sear is blocked, the striker will not function - correct?
Read the first sentence after the CAUTION in each manual.
You mean the one that stinks of anti-litigation wording? ;)

The Wolfhound wrote:
I wouldn't have my 995 any other way. :D

jahwarrior

imported post

i'm gonna throw in another good word about Hi Points. my brother has owned two in .45ACP, an older one, marked 'Haskell', and one of the more recent models, with the polymer grips. they don't cycle JHPs too well, but they performed flawlessly with ball ammo. he paid $100 for the older one, and $150 for the newer one. they may not be ideal for carry, due to their size and heft, but are absolutely perfct for home defense, or to keep in your vehicle, or as a camp gun. i plan on buying a few in 9mm and stash them around my apartment, just in case.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Words of wit, whimsy and wisdom - the intractable, incorrigible, invisible HaaaankTee!

Joisey's gift to OCDO- humorist, satirist, eye poking, true believer.

_
VCD
posts - that's 5400 to you non-Latin scholars.
_
+50 more posts HankT and you'll have VCDL post count

You'll have to come to Va. to claim your prize though.

You know, it's funny. I've gotten sooooo many invitationsfrom OCDO membersto visit the great Commonwealth of Virginia.

Nakedshoplifter....Reverend73...Hawkflyer...Danbus....etc.

Very clever, though, GS, about the VCDL. :)

Heyyyy, you're getting awfully close to a posting milestone yerself, GS.

The BIG 9K is looming......

When you get it, it'll have been reached by only you and Doug. And Doug.

M

McX

imported post

love my hi point .40. with me every day, takes alot of abuse. my 'closest' friend.:cool: