• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

RIA 1911s

Xader

imported post

Abno, all handguns are still pretty pricey after the election.

$359 is very reasonable for an A1. My RIA Tactical FS was about $420, and that was still a very fair price.

FWIW, I think RIAs are the best deal in 1911s available. They're not fancy, but theyre not supposed to be. They're a functional gun, and I have no reservations about using mine as an EDC.

Also, I prefer Golden Sabres for it as they are the closest in shape to the FMJ the 1911 was designed for. No FTFs to date.

TexasShooter

imported post

I have the 5" tacticle RIA. I carried it for about six months until I got my Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor. I love my Rocky and plan on using it as a project gun. I have scratches all over it from half year I carried it, so the finish does leave a little to be desired. At 50 yards it shoots center mass all day long. You really can't ask for much more from a 45 that costs less than 500 bones. BTW their customer service is fantastic. I bought it used from a friend of mine who told me after about 100 rds the front sight fell off. He called the boys in Nevada and they saidsend it back. He did and they fixed it lickedy split and sent it back with a reliability job for his hassle. Iam going to drop abouta grand into it next year. I will post on it's progress.

Xader

imported post

Tex, I'm looking forward to that update!!

I love seeing what people have done with their Rocks

AbNo

imported post

TexasShooter wrote:
I have the 5" tacticle RIA.

BTW their customer service is fantastic.

Yep. I called Armscor on Tuesday, got ahold of someone, said "Hi, I need some new grip screws for your RIA 1911."

They guy said "Is that all you need?"

"Yep!"

"All right well, gimme your address, and I'll get them out to you."

They just came in today. :celebrate

Goliath

imported post

I bought one a couple of years ago. I paid $349 when I bought mine. IT has been a great gun for the money. It took a while of shooting ball before it would feed hollow points. I carry mine every day. The finish started to wear because of the Fobus holster. I did change the grips out and put Hogue grips on mine. I recommend the gun.

Arondos

imported post

I won a tactical 5". Had some problems with FTF when it was new. Sent back under warranty for an extractor tuning and some polishing and it has been flawless since.

Bagman

imported post

I have the RI Compact. Excellent gun. Basically you could by any of their models, have a smith replace the trigger, drop in a beavertail saftey 9if it didn't come with one) and have it Dura-coated and still have saved hundreds over the very pricey Kimbers, Springfields, Colts, etc.

Johnny Koonce

imported post

I bought a RIA 1911A1 tactical in Dec. 09. In the first 100 rounds I had three failures to return to battery and one stove pipe. I tuned the extractor myself and cleaned the gun, lubed it. I've gone to the range several times since and have 850 rounds through it total, no hickups in the last 750 rounds, runs like a clock. I shoot 1" groups at 7 yards, 2.5" to 3" groups at 15 yards and about 4.5" to 5" groups at 25 yards.
I've had less problems with this gun than I have with my Kimber or my Colt and it shoots just as accurate.
I would recommend it and would buy another one any time!

Bagman

imported post

Are you using the RIA mags or did you replace them with a different brand? I had a few problems in the beginning and read more than a few threads that said to switch to Wilson Combat's and your trouble will go away - I did and they did..:cool:

Johnny Koonce

imported post

I use the stock magazine and the gun runs great with it. I also have a Kimber mag that I've used and it runs well, but has failed to lock back the slide on the last round 3 or 4 times. The stock ACT mags are great magazines, easy to disassemble and clean and reassemble. I will be buying a few more in the next couple of weeks, ACT mags are also sold under the NOVAK name and Logo.

poothrowingape

imported post

I am also loking to buy a 1911.

I went to a gun dealer a few days ago and held a RIA A1. It seemedpretty heavy. Is that just the gun or are all 1911's heavy? The guy at the counter said its heavier because They Rock Island doesnt use any aluminum in constructing their guns.

RebelHell

imported post

I think you will find that most full size 1911's aren't made with aluminum. Some of the high end models like those from Kimber have aluminum frames however. The extra weight is a good thing in my opinion. It drastically reduces percieved recoil, especially when shooting those hot +P+ loads. The 1911 is an excellent weapon and if you run out of ammo you can always use it as a club. I just recently purchased a Para P7 .45 1911 for myself and I love it.