• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Richmond Sheriff seizes guns of citizen with no criminal record & without legal cause

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

swatpro911 wrote:
well with all that weapons in residence and the rent is being overdue, smells fishy to me. As a fugitive Investigator, I would say he had other thoughts beside just getting those weapons to do his practice shooting. 38 rifles and 20 handguns can make a small squad of terrorist, extremist group that can do harm if gone unnoticed. Unless he can prove that he was taking them to the gun shop for repairs or owns a shooting place or is a collector.
I do believe you have that backwards....he doesn't have to prove why he has them...you would have to prove that he was up to no good. The burdon of proof rests with the State; at least that is how they do it in America from what I hear but I haven't been there yet.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If this guy is a Terrorist, then I must be a Warlord...

That argument makes no sense. One guy can only shoot so many guns at the same time. Usually, ONE. If it were a 'terrorist cell,' don't you think he'd pay his damn rent to keep eyebrows from being raised? Why keep all the terrorist-useless weapons in one place? Why not each man in this huge sleeper cell keep his own weapons, so as not to arrouse suspicion? If anything smeels funny, it's your dead and rotting mind, seemingly incapable of noting all of this that makes no sense at all.

Terrorists aren't stupid, just evil. Sadly, you seem to think that we are stupid enough to fall for YOUR terrorism... Perhaps we need our weapons, to respond to people like YOU, more than we think......

Get Bent, Freedom Hater.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Toad wrote:
...SNIP
The burdon of proof rests with the State; at least that is how they do it in America from what I hear but I haven't been there yet.

Very Good! like it. It is hilarious:lol: .... Wait just a minute... thats not funny, it's true.:banghead:

+1

ProtectMd

imported post

That is true, that the burden to prove that he is doing something illegal with the firearms rests with the state. Especially the fact that he has no prior offenses and assuming from the post that he has not demonstrated a propensity for random or planned acts of violence against the public.

What if he owns them so that in the event of a disaster he may arm other good citizens like himself? Is there anything wrong with that? I don't think so. I saw what happened in New Orleans firsthand so... when the police quit their jobs, the gunstores are robbed clean as a whistle, I think it will come down to Harry Homeowner to defend his property and his neighborhood against looters and hardened criminals. You can depend on FEMA, but you may have to wait a few days.... The laws of man are only there because theres people there to enforce them and there are those who follow them. The ones who do not follow laws that society has set forth could be considered criminal in nature. In New Orleans there was the basics... The need for food, water, shelter, clothing, and self defense...

The reason I said catagory 6 is because of the fact that there will probably come a time in the future where hurricanes are upgraded to catagory 6 and 7's due to the damage they inflict.... and their sheer power. I know the NOAA discussed making a new rating last year for such hurricanes.

If I see that a person has an "arsenal" "cache" or weapons "collection" that includes, pistols, rifles, shotguns, and machineguns that are fully legal because that person has followed the law to the T, I do not see a problem with that no matter what his intention is with that amount of weapons. Maybe he's a member of the Montana militia, or the minutemen project. So what. So what if he's muslim. So what if he's african American. Do these things in conjuction with him owning weapons make him a terrorist? Some may say yes, some may say no.

And if it does make him a terrorist for the sheer number and types of guns he owns, then where is the line drawn? Will it get to the point to where as agencies and forms of government will dictate what type of weapons you may and may not own?

I do understand the need to secure the weapons from being pilfered into the community, and can understand that the sheriffs department has somewhat of an obligation to public safety to do so. I also don't want this process to turn into a chance to search through peoples property and find things to use against them... Perhaps the policy should be looked at... Perhaps a letter to the editor of the newspaper might change their views on trying to criminalize the public through mass media for legal gun ownership, and legal ownership of ammunition.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ProtectMd wrote:
That is true, that the burden to prove that he is doing something illegal with the firearms rests with the state. Especially the fact that he has no prior offenses and assuming from the post that he has not demonstrated a propensity for random or planned acts of violence against the public.

What if he owns them so that in the event of a disaster he may arm other good citizens like himself? Is there anything wrong with that? I don't think so. I saw what happened in New Orleans firsthand so... when the police quit their jobs, the gunstores are robbed clean as a whistle, I think it will come down to Harry Homeowner to defend his property and his neighborhood against looters and hardened criminals. You can depend on FEMA, but you may have to wait a few days.... The laws of man are only there because theres people there to enforce them and there are those who follow them. The ones who do not follow laws that society has set forth could be considered criminal in nature. In New Orleans there was the basics... The need for food, water, shelter, clothing, and self defense...

The reason I said catagory 6 is because of the fact that there will probably come a time in the future where hurricanes are upgraded to catagory 6 and 7's due to the damage they inflict.... and their sheer power. I know the NOAA discussed making a new rating last year for such hurricanes.

If I see that a person has an "arsenal" "cache" or weapons "collection" that includes, pistols, rifles, shotguns, and machineguns that are fully legal because that person has followed the law to the T, I do not see a problem with that no matter what his intention is with that amount of weapons. Maybe he's a member of the Montana militia, or the minutemen project. So what. So what if he's muslim. So what if he's african American. Do these things in conjuction with him owning weapons make him a terrorist? Some may say yes, some may say no.

And if it does make him a terrorist for the sheer number and types of guns he owns, then where is the line drawn? Will it get to the point to where as agencies and forms of government will dictate what type of weapons you may and may not own?

I do understand the need to secure the weapons from being pilfered into the community, and can understand that the sheriffs department has somewhat of an obligation to public safety to do so. I also don't want this process to turn into a chance to search through peoples property and find things to use against them... Perhaps the policy should be looked at... Perhaps a letter to the editor of the newspaper might change their views on trying to criminalize the public through mass media for legal gun ownership, and legal ownership of ammunition.
I agree with everything you have said. In fact I think people have forgotten that guy in the Virgin islands a few years back that all alone with a single rifle was defending about 50 local citizens from looters and muggers after a hurricane. He did so for about 4 days until order was restored.

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that we simply do not have sufficient fact in this case to know what happened. The fact that what we do know is from the press makes it even more certain that we do not have the facts.

One thing IS certain. Most police departments have an SOP that dictates that ANY firearm that they receive sill have the serial number run to check that it is not listed as stolen. This is just a normal thing and it does not represent a presumption of guilt, it is just part off the process of weapons intake.

Regards

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

ProtectMd wrote in part:

If I see that a person has an "arsenal" "cache" or weapons "collection" that includes, pistols, rifles, shotguns, and machineguns that are fully legal because that person has followed the law to the T, I do not see a problem with that no matter what his intention is with that amount of weapons.
A great point, 'the failure of standards.' I have had similar thoughts and that these new, more eXtreme epithets will be driven by the MSM's need to whip up hysteria.

"Cat 6 hurricanes, scoped sniper rifles, domestic terrorists," all guaranteed to grab Granny by the balls of her feet and buy a newspaper, mag-rag or watch the doobie-tube.