• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS!!!

Batousaii

imported post

that kind of guy wrote:
..._______is not a public access type business like a restaurant or a shopping mall.
I think this might be the key they function on. whether or not it is open to the general public "as they come", or if they have some aspect that limits the type of entry, I.E. Microsoft as an office building (employees only), or something like COSTCO that has membership requirements, compare to Safeway or a Mall that is simply open to anyone. My point was not if i agree or not, simply as an analysis of the mechanics that maybe employed to either allow or circumvent any given rights (guns, free speech, clothing,etc.) or induce a given environmental control, such as guns orclothing.I admit i fully understand both sides of the argument here. private property rights, and our gun rights too.It is something that will require a bit legal debate,court ruling and time to sort out where it will stand. And of course, not everyone will agree with, or be happy about the final answer, and others will rejoice in it. I admit i'd like to be able to carry without always wondering if this store or that allows it, however, i also sympathise with the Private prop owner/manager positions on being able to set their own rules. It will be an interesting one to sort out.

Gogodawgs is correct to point out the contradictory conflicts that could be brought up, and if we are focusing strictly on "open to the public" then probably (just my guess here) the Gun rights will trumpthe private-open-property rightsif it gets called a "natural right" by SCOTUS. It will be interesting to follow the debates, and to see where it all takes us.

Popcorn anyone ?