• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rights vs Priviledges, how do we convey the difference to people?

Logan 5

The best example is, as always, your 2A stops at my property line. I may extend the privilege of allowing you to exercise your 2A on my property, or not and then you can decline to come onto my property if your 2A and the exercising thereof is important to you. The state has a vested interest in assisting me in my attempts to gain redress if you violate the terms and conditions for entry onto my property. Beyond that, the gaining redress part, the state needs to keep their big fat nose out of my business, out of your business, and out of our business.
WHOA! You mean to tell me that I am not the ONLY person that feels this way? Nearly unheard of here at Open Carry! Wow!

stealthyeliminator

WHOA! You mean to tell me that I am not the ONLY person that feels this way? Nearly unheard of here at Open Carry! Wow!

Well... To be technical, his right to keep and bear arms doesn't stop anywhere, he stops at the property line because he has no right to enter without permission of the owner, who can make whatever crazy rules he likes as conditions for entry, with a few exceptions related to travel (you don't have the right to imprison someone on their own property by purchasing all property surrounding them, for example)

OC for ME

Well... To be technical, his right to keep and bear arms doesn't stop anywhere, he stops at the property line because he has no right to enter without permission of the owner, who can make whatever crazy rules he likes as conditions for entry, with a few exceptions related to travel (you don't have the right to imprison someone on their own property by purchasing all property surrounding them, for example)
I hate technicalities.;)