• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Roanoke City Circuit Court extralegal demands for CHP

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
This is truely wonderful news, if only because it demonstrates that the system actually works the way it is supposed to -- once it has been goosed a few times to get its attention.

It is not often that the "little" man prevails on his own, but you seem near the home stretch of showing that it can be done.

The offer/suggestion for a victory dinner still stands. I'll have to start figuring out how to save even more to spend on "The Cause". (Strange, but I'm actually happy about that!:D )

stay safe.

Glockster

Had a chance to fully read your petition for rehearing -- I continue to be impressed by what you've done and accomplished as a Pro Se party!

One curiosity -- have you heard from the Clerk since the granting and dismissal orders? You'd think that at this point, having been "outed" for holding back pertinent information from the SC that they'd catch a clue and consider that this could be a really good time to do what they could to persuade you to let this go away.

fishmon

In Awe of This Thread

I acquired my CHP in Roanoke County several months ago and it went very smoothly. My 76 year-old widowed Mother, residing in Roanoke City, had expressed an interest in getting one as well. She has defensive weapons at home but it's not really practical to OC for her. I'm sure it would draw some funny looks though. So we set about getting the required documentation and saw a reference that Roanoke City had "additional requirements." I stumbled upon this thread this past weekend while trying to find out what these additional requirements could possibly be (as well as a few other quirky hoops to jump through in other VA locales). I called the City Clerk's office this morning and was told the fee is $50.00 and when I asked if there was anything to do with the Police Academy I was given a snarky "No." So I went a tad further and asked when the change occurred and was told it was the latter of 2012. I plan to accompany Mom there this week if possible. We shall see.

It is rare, if ever, to find a citizen as principled and tenacious as you sir. That someone would expend the energy you have to stand against a minor but not trivial matter is commendable. When you're right, you're right. It appalls me that even at the lower levels of elected office the servant of the people would allow their ego or political agenda to so blatantly and callously trample and mock the laws they are charged and entrusted to uphold.

I was also struck by the wealth of knowlege and apparent comaraderie of mostly everyone who posted in this thread. My joining the site was for the sole purpose of saluting your unbelievable contribution in holding City Hall accountable in processing these applications. The permit should hereinafter be referred to as an (S)CHP to represent your personal toils.

It appears that you have accomplished what you originally set out to do although I take it that the dust is still not quite settled on other points. Hopefully any additional developements will be added over time. I've found this saga to contain some amazing reading and hope to glean more knowledge as I lurk about the site.

Regards,

Larry

Update: Don't want to hijack this thread hence the update here. Accompanied Mom to Roanoke City Clerk this afternoon. All paperwork was handled in a polite and professional manner. Fee was $50.00 total. Background check goes to the Police Academy but they see to that. Thanks for the links grapeshot. Again thank you to TD for all you have done.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I acquired my CHP in Roanoke County several months ago and it went very smoothly. My 76 year-old widowed Mother, residing in Roanoke City, had expressed an interest in getting one as well. --snip--
Welcome to the crowd Fishmon - you can be whatever you wish here. Hope you stay and enjoy.

Might consider signing up for the free Va-Alerts and keep up with RKBA happenings around the Old Dominion.

Give VCDL(http://www.vcdl.org/) a good look-see - almost all here are members.