• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Roanoke cop shoots and kills dogs

Marco

Central Park in NYC large dog attacked my dog

I would have stopped and kicked the crap out of the dogs to end the attack but honestly, I've never had to deal with flesh eating dogs, maybe sometimes, you have to shoot them.

The worst dog related thing that ever happened to me was walking my dog in Central Park in NYC, another large dog off leash came over and attacked mine for no reason at all.

I gave it a huge kick in the chest but not with the point of my foot 'cause I didn't want to kill it. Damn right it went away.

Playing Internet commando and "Monday" morning QB'ing, woulda coulda shoulda.

Apples and oranges!!!!!!

In NYC the option to use a firearm isn't there, even if a Law abiding citizen had no other choice, as guns are basically outlawed.

Other factors to consider number of animals attacking, type/strength, size of the attacking animal and what the animal is attacking.
A dog attacking your/a dog isn't quite the same as a dog attacking you or another person.

More epic fail on your part!!!!

doug23838

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/...ficer-shoots-kills-2-pit-bulls-bi-ar-1559756/

Would you have stopped and shot the dogs if you were driving by?

I'm not sure we wouldn't be charged for some crime in addition to being liable to the dog's owner.

It depends on who the dogs are biting and how good of a job they're doing. I can name a few folks that if I saw a pack of crazed dogs getting the better of, I'd probably walk on or get some good video of the action.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
It depends on who the dogs are biting and how good of a job they're doing. I can name a few folks that if I saw a pack of crazed dogs getting the better of, I'd probably walk on or get some good video of the action.
+1000,00000

wrightme

I've been on this forum for four years. In that time I've noticed a shift in the old folks towards the "grumpy old man" syndrome. But I guess this may only be the result of being tired of seeing the "Been there, done that, seen the results" paradigm :^). (you will notice my old school smiley instead of using the icon smiley)
Each year, they are older. Thus, grumpier! :lol:

:banana:

Last edited:

taurusfan

Playing Internet commando and "Monday" morning QB'ing, woulda coulda shoulda.

Apples and oranges!!!!!!

In NYC the option to use a firearm isn't there, even if a Law abiding citizen had no other choice, as guns are basically outlawed.

Other factors to consider number of animals attacking, type/strength, size of the attacking animal and what the animal is attacking.
A dog attacking your/a dog isn't quite the same as a dog attacking you or another person.

NYC sucks. I never could understand how people elected Bloomberg?

I'm not gonna roll up on a dog attack and immediately think of killing I'll try to give it a beating first.

Motofixxer

I'd probably watch and video from a short distance. Then when interviewed by the media asking why I didn't step in. I would reply, I feared the legal backlash from the city.

GreatDaneMan

The article is kind of bland...

Let me just say first I am a HUGE animal lover and work with great dane rescue, and occasionally others, I know play biting/attacks vs serious "mal-intent" attacks. . If I came upon an attack mentioned in the article, I am probably drawing and shooting. If it is not too bad I would rather kick them off, but would have no problems putting them down. Shame it was pit-bulls.. I love the breed.

Last edited:

Steeler-gal

The article is kind of bland...

Let me just say first I am a HUGE animal lover and work with great dane rescue, and occasionally others, I know play biting/attacks vs serious "mal-intent" attacks. . If I came upon an attack mentioned in the article, I am probably drawing and shooting. If it is not too bad I would rather kick them off, but would have no problems putting them down. Shame it was pit-bulls.. I love the breed.

Agreed

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Come on Peter, at least try to spell 100,000,000 correctly :^).
Musta bump fired those zero's:banghead: Besides...Doug's Avatar makes it difficult to concentrate:uhoh:

image.php

Last edited:

cb5300

As you wish. I grant you that my words were chosen poorly. Should have said "county" as opposed to claiming VA as a whole. Good catch.

Roanoke County Code of Ordinances
Sec. 5-28. - Running at large—Prohibited.

(a) It shall be unlawful for the owner of any domestic or feral dog, exotic or poisonous animal or exotic bird or poultry to permit such domestic or feral dog, exotic or poisonous animal or exotic bird or poultry to run at large in the county at any time during any month of the year.
(b) This section shall not apply to a companion animal engaged in lawful hunting in open season or when being trained or exercised and accompanied by its owner or custodian or under the immediate control of its owner or custodian.

Definitions:
To run at large: A domestic or feral dog, exotic or poisonous animal or exotic bird or poultry shall be deemed to run at large while roaming, running or self-hunting off the property of its owner or custodian and not under its owner's or custodian's immediate control.

Companion animal: Any domestic or feral dog, domestic or feral cat, nonhuman primate, guinea pig, hamster, rabbit not raised for human food or fiber, exotic or native animal, reptile, exotic or native bird, or any feral animal or any animal under the care, custody, or ownership of a person or any animal that is bought, sold, traded, or bartered by any person. Agricultural animals, game species, or any animals regulated under federal law as research animals shall not be considered companion animals for the purposes of this chapter.

Wasn't this in Roanoke City and not the County? Of course Roanoke City also has a leash law.

Last edited:

Sesrun

Wasn't this in Roanoke City and not the County? Of course Roanoke City also has a leash law.

If the article is accurate regarding the street name where the incident took place then yes it would be Roanoke City (on US 460 between SR 419 and I-581). That roadway (US 460) has 6 names between Salem and Blueridge (W./E. Main Street, Melrose Ave, Orange Ave, Challenger Ave, and Blueridge Blvd).

Pertinent Roanoke City laws may be found under the titles "Division 1 - Generally" and "Division 3 - Dangerous and Vicious Dogs" in the link below.
http://library.municode.com/HTML/11474/level3/COCI_CH6ANFO_ARTIIDOGE.html#TOPTITLE