• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rogue Deputy Sheriff ?

agentX

imported post

para_org wrote:
Well that is a different thought from what I got out of your first message.

Let me clarify; The deputy in question was clearly not an imposter as I could see his badge. And if he could "fake" a badge, he could also easily fake an "id". More to the point, it was clear to me that he really was a deputy from demeanor, his badge, his demonstrated attitude, and from the follow-up on my part after the encounter.

But you have an interesting point about their having to show ID. Is the clearly visable badge suffcient for a court of law when I ask for their "card" ?

BCLS is absolutely correct when he states the deputy has an ID card; on it it will have his photo and wording to the effect that the named person is acting under(in the mame of)the authority(power) of the Sheriff. I know this to be fact as it is an identical ID we carried while serving on the Sheriff's Posse(not in your area); the only difference is that our's read, "Posse', and the green shirt's reads, "Certified".

Your situation is actually a pradox: A paradox because the deputy was deamdning of you an "permit' which under law does not exist; one cannot display/offer up something which does not exist. Perhaps you may wish to consider thsi; if and when a situation such as thsi were to occur again, submit to the LEO that in so far as you are aware there is not "statutory" requirement for a permit to OC, I'm unable to show/give you what the law, as I understand it,does not require of me; therefore would you please cite for me the specific "statute"that requires such a permit. You've now placed the onus on him to qaulify, legally/lawfully his contact with you. Will this make him go away, perhaps not; they do not like to lose a dog fight to the dumb citizen. However, in this phrasing, your request to him/her you've been polite(always be polite), and are requesting, respectfully, for him/her to cite the law to you. When you speak there language one generally will gain a bit more of their attention, and hopefully they'll stand down a bit and become less of a "belligerent" and a bit more civil. They are to accustomed to the willing, complacent citizen.

On a side note, everyone speaks about "probable cause"; many stops/contacts with LEOs' now take place under "probable suspicion", thats their new excuse to harass. Were this deputy dragged into court the defending county counsel would ask him, on the witness stand, why he dealt with you, and his response would relate to some gobbly-gook probable suspicion....guy's got a gun...most folks don't carry guns around in a civilzed society..., ect., and so I felt compelled to check him out, AND, most juries will buy that line; you lose; go home; and have spent a lot of money on an attorney for nothing, UNLESS one is competent enough as a pro-se to deal with it by one's self.

However if one does file a civil suit, the sheriff must also be named, in addition to the deputy, because the deputy acts ONLY under and in the name of the sheriff; the deputy is his, sheriff's, agent. This is what is referred to in alw as the "principle and agent"; the priciple, sheriff, is responsible(laible) for the act(s) of his agent(deputy). The deputy does not hold or exercise a constitutional office, only the sheriff does.

para_org

imported post

I was quite clear about the OC, as I indicated that I knew this was legal activity.

Anyways, the interesting (to me) situation is that while this deputy said he did not care about the "rules" when he was on duty. Further his superior was quite clear that he did NOT agree with my accessment that the deputy was NOT within RAS guidelines to have detained me. This deputy's superior felt it was sufficent RAS because the deputy was not use to seeing someone OCing. He was quite clear about that. And you are quite correct that this **IS** exactly wherein the ENTIRE issue rests. Of course, as we have already discussed in this thread, this begs the issue itself of whether a constitutional right remains a right if it is subject to either police approval or inspection. More especially because a municipality may not create an ordinance restricting this protection of the right to keep and bear arms (while engaged in OC) as specifically worded in Art. 2 Sec. 6 of the NM State Constitution. (2007 printing)

The jury stuff is interesting, but I would imagine a decent lawyer could make a mess of any RAS suppositions in this case based on an appeal to common sense and proper exposition of the NM State Constitution. (I also reject the idea that a sheriff's deputy would ever stoop so low as to lie in court, so I will not bring up such an occurance as it relates to making up some RAS that was not really there.)

I *am* curious about the filing of a restraining order with the DA against this particular deputy. The earlier message that ventured this idea was both ironic AND an intriguing thought.

agentX

imported post

para_org wrote:
I was quite clear about the OC, as I indicated that I knew this was legal activity.

Anyways, the interesting (to me) situation is that while this deputy said he did not care about the "rules" when he was on duty. Further his superior was quite clear that he did NOT agree with my accessment that the deputy was NOT within RAS guidelines to have detained me. This deputy's superior felt it was sufficent RAS because the deputy was not use to seeing someone OCing. He was quite clear about that. And you are quite correct that this **IS** exactly wherein the ENTIRE issue rests. Of course, as we have already discussed in this thread, this begs the issue itself of whether a constitutional right remains a right if it is subject to either police approval or inspection. More especially because a municipality may not create an ordinance restricting this protection of the right to keep and bear arms (while engaged in OC) as specifically worded in Art. 2 Sec. 6 of the NM State Constitution. (2007 printing)

The jury stuff is interesting, but I would imagine a decent lawyer could make a mess of any RAS suppositions in this case based on an appeal to common sense and proper exposition of the NM State Constitution. (I also reject the idea that a sheriff's deputy would ever stoop so low as to lie in court, so I will not bring up such an occurance as it relates to making up some RAS that was not really there.)

I *am* curious about the filing of a restraining order with the DA against this particular deputy. The earlier message that ventured this idea was both ironic AND an intriguing thought.
para_org;

A decent attorney might, and again he/she might not be able to make a good case here: When I say a good case I'm not referring to the facts as you know them, but what can be presented to a jury. having said that, let us address the issue of someone suggesting you file a restraining order. Such an order is filed with and through the court; I seriously doubt a judge would permit the order, at least not under the circumstances as you describe them; the judge will very likely side with the deputy and view it, the incident, as nothing mre than the deputy doing his job. Were you sleighted, yes; might you have cause that at some future time you may encounter this deputy again, yes; do you feel that perahps any future encounter with him might be less pleasant, yes; but a restraining order against another suggests that one is in probable and/or clear fear of his/her person and injury to same by the party so restrained. under the specific circumstances you describe the court would not view/perceive you as being in iminent danger. I would draft and file an Affidavit of Fact; have done so myself, not against a LEO, but a private citizen who threatened me..nothing came of it(the threat). Will not go into specifics here on such a document, to detailed to begin with; however if you wish to contact me off-site feel free to do so at rwtast1@yahoo.com.; however, you may want to give this some serious thoguht before even doing that; there are otehr mehods by which you can deal with this. In closing I offer you one fianl thought; always make any communiques' you ahve with anyone in government in real paper; not even email.

Best regards

Jizzzle

imported post

ya, there are many many cases that clearly outline what constitutes a leagal stop/questioning/detainment.terry vs ohio is the main one. you shoud probably read it and see what you think.