• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Role Playing

Springfield Smitty

OKC, OK (Heading back to MI very soon - thank good
imported post

I think this shouldcertainly bea focusat picnics and any other OC gathering. I also think that perhaps monthly meetings dedicated specificallyto the rehearsals would be advantagous.

Of course,we need to guard against it turninginto something that is just a fun and games type of thing, at which point the effectiveness would be greatly diminished. Not to mention, it would make OCers look like a bunch of fools, and deservedly so.

The rehearsals should be handled as seriously as range time, as an OCer is probably more likely to come into contact with a LEO than they are to have to have a defensive encounter.

Of course, maybe I just take myself (and everything in life) way too seriously...thoughts?

Radioman

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
My wife's contribution.:D
I had her a tshirt made in Nashville on our honeymoon....many, many years ago....
"Sticks and stones may break my bones but...whips and chains excite me!" She loved that shirt.:cry:

You are a sick sick puppy ... Cool shirt idea.

Radioman

Michigander

imported post

LFB wrote:
We could put this into practice at the OC Picnics! Especially when new carriers are trying their hand at OC'ing.
I think I'd personally not want to do "dry runs" at picnics. If it isn't the focus of an event, I don't know how serious it could be.

packinheatmiinoh

imported post

I agree with Springfield Smitty

I believe the role playing could be important, this needs to be done separate, Maybe have some OC FAQ meetings that you do some role playing.

I also think it is getting easier to OC, I have been an avid Ocer almost a year and have not had a negative experience to speak of.

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

That's exactly what we are going to do. The future meet at Gander Mtn. will be a "winter time" event or at least when the weather starts getting colder. I am planning an OC seminar, the role playing would be a great feature.

Again, great idea with the role play!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

A couple little pointers for role playing/practicing.

If the history here is any guide, no two role players will agree on the extent to which they will exercise their rights or how much to cooperate with the police. (exaggeration)

I recommend, at least initially, just letting each "detainee" decide where to draw the line for himself and roll with it. If the "detainee" does or says something that would definitely increase his legal jeopardy in a serious way, then maybe explain it to him. But otherwise, at least initially, let each fella practice his own game plan.

Another option might be to have everyone agree to automatically practice theactions given in the Busted video regardless of his own game plan. Then everybody is practicing 1)more or less the same thing 2) thefinal non-physicalposition.

The more I think about it, the moreI think this latter option might be the way to go. Then everybody gets practiced on sayingthe phrases and so forth. After they get that nailed down, then they can expand into more complexityif they want to.

autosurgeon

imported post

Citizen wrote:
A couple little pointers for role playing/practicing.

If the history here is any guide, no two role players will agree on the extent to which they will exercise their rights or how much to cooperate with the police. (exaggeration)

I recommend, at least initially, just letting each "detainee" decide where to draw the line for himself and roll with it. If the "detainee" does or says something that would definitely increase his legal jeopardy in a serious way, then maybe explain it to him. But otherwise, at least initially, let each fella practice his own game plan.

Another option might be to have everyone agree to automatically practice theactions given in the Busted video regardless of his own game plan. Then everybody is practicing 1)more or less the same thing 2) thefinal non-physicalposition.

The more I think about it, the moreI think this latter option might be the way to go. Then everybody gets practiced on sayingthe phrases and so forth. After they get that nailed down, then they can expand into more complexityif they want to.
I too think this would be the best course of action! A curriculum so to speak based on the training video Busted!

johnnyd74

imported post

im a newbee and i think it should be part of every meeting picnic!!

should be the first thig we do as a group!!

idk but it seems to me, the more you practice,the better you get!

SpringerXDacp

imported post

johnnyd74 wrote:
im a newbee and i think it should be part of every meeting picnic!!

should be the first thig we do as a group!!

idk but it seems to me, the more you practice,the better you get!
Welcome to OCDO Johnnyd74. Please add Michigan (Warren, Michigan) to your Profile.