• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Round in the chamber?

M1911a1lvr

imported post

thebigsd wrote:
I think keeping a round in the chamber is a necessity for defensive firearm carry. Your first instinct in a fight would be to draw, aim and fire. Why make it more complicated than that? Racking the slide could take away valuable seconds that could be the difference between life and death.
the Israeli method is an older method, But still effective as a skill that you should maintain in your Tool box of skills. I wouldn't go and dismiss it out right. it is still effective as a skill. Remember,not all states allow round in the chamber carry or even loaded magazine in the gun like california.

oldkim

imported post

I think that most people get the point that it really depends on your particular situation on how to carry. Some may be bound by legal laws, comfort of the carrier and "other restraints."

If you read through most of the post it boils down to whatever method you choose or have to choose - Practice and become proficient in that carry method. From how you carry (concealed or open- hip, back or front or ankle or whatever to what holster you use - has a retention device or snap or not) practice with it!

We have seen the full gamut from carrying a round in the chamber to other methods on this thread.

Practice how you carry! If you carry one round in the chamber or not. Practice that method. If you are fortunate enough to be able to practice using your holster then practice as most are not.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

nate5ks wrote:
I'm new here and was thrilled to find out there are multiple states I can carry openly in during my frequent trips between Maryland and Florida. I carry either a M&P .40 or a Ruger P90 .45 and was wondering if it's a good idea to keep a round in the chamber. The .40 has a trigger safety, and while I've never heard about or experienced a malfunction with these I'm not entirely sure if keeping a round racked is the best thing to do. I was wondering what some of your opinions were.

I always carry chambered in a Glock and SW 1911. However, I don't condemn those who choose not to, especially folks new to carry (OC or CC). When I first started carrying, I carried a 1911 in Condition 3: i.e. A full mag in well and hammer down on an empty chamber for probably a month or more before going to Condition 1.

Edit: Spelling

lx_1537

I use to carry my glock19 none on the chambered until one day, there was a stray black dog in my backyard as me and my wife and kids was getting out of the house. before I realized it the dog was about 7-8 feet away looking at us. I pulled out my glock and pointed at the dog but then I realized that there was NO round in the chamber.....rack the slide to chambered one in and I started yelling at the dog...few seconds later it took off...just imagine the dog charged at us and there was no round in the chambered..no point of having a gun if you can't defend your family....from now on there's always one in the chambered...

Last edited: