• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Saline / Ann Arbor This Weekend

Zukirider

imported post

I may or may not make it just found out that i have a funeral in the morning in dearborn, its at 10 and im just not sure how long its going to take so if i have the time i will be there otherwise like i have posted before a soldiers funeral is my number one priorty. however i will try to make it

TylerJ87

imported post

I think I would like to attend although I am not sure I am ready to OC in Ann Arbor yet. Since I still have to be around for a few more years to finish school I don't want to make any enemies with the campus police.

EM87

imported post

Zukirider wrote:
I may or may not make it just found out that i have a funeral in the morning in dearborn, its at 10 and im just not sure how long its going to take so if i have the time i will be there otherwise like i have posted before a soldiers funeral  is my number one priorty. however i will try to make it

Completely understandable.

TylerJ87 wrote:
I think I would like to attend although I am not sure I am ready to OC in Ann Arbor yet.  Since I still have to be around for a few more years to finish school I don't want to make any enemies with the campus police.

Show up anyway! OC or not, we'd love to have you.

EM87

imported post

For those last minute posters/readers who didn't see this before, I'll be the guy in the black and blue striped hoodie and the black glasses OCing a GLOCK. I shouldn't be hard to find.

Hombre

Banned
imported post

mikestilly wrote:
EM87 wrote:
We had four! It was a good time.

did the infamous Hombre show up?

Couldn't make it. I wanted to be there so people could see I am real AND that I am not opposed to OC. However, now that this PAT person keeps threatening me and wanting to know what agency I work for (probably to try to get me into some problems) I think I'll just keep to myself.

He's doing wonders for your relationship with law enforcement, fellas.

B

Bikenut

imported post

Hombre1 wrote:
mikestilly wrote:
EM87 wrote:

Couldn't make it. I wanted to be there so people could see I am real AND that I am not opposed to OC. However, now that this PAT person keeps threatening me and wanting to know what agency I work for (probably to try to get me into some problems) I think I'll just keep to myself.

The point that always seems to be missed is...........

There is no reason for open carriers to have anything resembling a "relationship" with law enforcement............. fella.

Hombre

Banned
imported post

Bikenut wrote:
Hombre1 wrote:
mikestilly wrote:
EM87 wrote:

Couldn't make it.  I wanted to be there so people could see I am real AND that I am not opposed to OC.  However, now that this PAT person keeps threatening me and wanting to know what agency I work for (probably to try to get me into some problems) I think I'll just keep to myself.

There is no reason for open carriers to have anything resembling a "relationship" with law enforcement............. fella.
Well, if you want to live in fantasy land go ahead.:lol:

B

Bikenut

imported post

Hombre1 wrote:
Bikenut wrote:
Hombre1 wrote:
mikestilly wrote:
EM87 wrote:

Well, if you want to live in fantasy land go ahead.:lol:
That is the problem... you see Sir, as long as I am engaged in a legal activity, regardless of what that legal activity is, there should be no reason for any interaction with LE since... I am not doing anything illegal.

Now if that is "fantasy land" as you put it then there isn't a problem with folks engaging in legal activities... there is a problem with LE.

You see... in a world where LE understands their job a MWAG call on a legal open carrier would result in the officer educating the dolt who wasted LE's time and resources by placing the call on the legality of a MWAG.... instead of going "fishing" in the open carrier's pond hoping to at least catch a minnow.

Now... to be fair OC is a somewhat new to LE legal activity in urban areas and because a citizen with a gun is looked upon through eyes that see entirely too many crooks with guns LE tends to lump all citizens with guns into the "crook" grab bag until proven otherwise (guilty until proven innocent?).... and proceed accordingly. This is rapidly changing even over some LE's protestations. And it should because LE is charged with enforcing the law... not enforcing what they personally think about the manner in which someone is engaging in a lawful activity.

About that "eyes that see entirely too many crooks" part.... that is why I understand the tough job LE has. But tough or not... enforcing the law... and only enforcing the law... is the job.... not pushing personal attitudes.

I'll go out on a limb and express a personal opinion:

I believe the entire problem that LE, government agencies, gun control groups, have with open carry has nothing to do with the law but has everything to do with control. With concealed carry the "authorities" have control over who gets the privilege of carrying a gun... and only those who fit the standards set by the "authorities" will get that privilege... and those who mess up will lose that privilege... not to mention there is a data base of just who has that privilege. And the possibility of losing that privilege ensures co operation with LE adding a measure of control to the encounter.

But with open carry anyone can carry a gun without first "measuring up" or "being known" or "having control over with threat of losing the privilege".

Without some kind of "control" the 2nd Amendment right to "keep and bear arms" would result in anyone and everyone carrying a gun.... making everyone equal in their ability to resist "control"... and, by golly, how would those in authority control everybody then? Freedom, true freedom, is poison to those who desire control.

And aren't LEOs trained to "take control" of every situation? How does an officer "control" an open carrier who doesn't even have to show ID? Must be very frustrating.... and cause some resentment.

Most LEOs are very well trained in how to deal with bad guys... and most do that very very well. Perhaps what has been lacking is training in how to deal with the good guys? `