• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Saw this on my bus today... New WCF ad campaign?

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
What transit company was this??

Per the King county Metro Advertising policies here: http://metro.kingcounty.gov/am/advertising/pdf/tran_adv_policy_011212_001.pdf

Well, the WA Cease fire ad is all about the USE of the firearm.... How is that NOT violating the policy?

I would also say
6.2.4 False or misleading
and
6.2.8 Demeaning or disparaging

Perhaps a flood of emails requesting there removal due to violations would help... or not. Could always try, assuming these are King County Transit buses.

Metalhead47

Superlite27

Wow, that's a little bit tin hat. They just mean if you see a bomb or suspicious package, tell someone.

How do you extrapolate "bomb or suspicious package" from the phrase "See something, say something"? At no point whatsoever do I see the terms, "bomb", "suspicious", or "package" anywhere at all within this phrase. After close examination, you seem to have 1) observed something 2) interpreted its meaning for yourself 3) assumed you interpreted it correctly 4) assumed that other's interpretations were wrong 5) assumed that you could correct their wrongful interpretations.

Pretty good work providing that you are able to provide direct evidence that "they" are indeed referring to bombs or suspicious packages. However, I seem to have missed the memo from "them" which references this specific information.

All I am left to base MY individual interpretation on is an extremely vague catch phrase which, to me, seems very open to interpretation from anyone who reads it. Joe Snuffy sitting next to me on the bus might interpret it as "If you see someone who appears to be Muslim, tell the authorities." Susie Creamcheese sitting in the next row might interpret it as, "If you see someone with a duffle bag, report it to the authorities." Klanny McCrossburner in the next car might disagree with all of the above and interpret it to mean, "If you see an African American in a hoodie, tell the authorities." Libby McGunhater, staring daggers at my Springfield Armory shirt and NRA hat while rooting through her purse for her cell phone might interpret it as, "If you see someone who could possibly be armed, tell the authorities."

I don't think its too "tinfoil hat" to look at such a vaguely worded and unspecific soundbite and wonder......"What could "they" want by posting such a fuzzy directive for all to see?"

If you refuse to see the probablity that everyone will choose their own interpretation and rat, snitch, inform, or downright sell their own mother to "them" if it meets whatever vague definition of "threatening" they personally choose, you're one of the people convinced of their own specific interpretation to the exclusion of anyone who differs.

Now, comparing it to the Gesthapo and the Nazi informant process is a little "tinfoil hat"......but even so, it bares a very strong resemblance to the basic process of 1) incite a general sense of fear 2) designate "undesirables" 3) provide a means of "acceptance" at the expense of the "undesirables" 4) watch people attempt to gain "acceptance" in order to differentiate themselves from those "undesirables" by POINTING "THEM" OUT.

The insidious thing about this entire "See something, say something" program isn't that it horrifically singles out a specific "undesirable".....

.....It's that it leaves the interpretation open, knowing full well that the general public will focus on whatever "boogeyman" they choose, leaving "them" free to "investigate" any damned one they want under the blanket excuse of "well, we received a report, and you know "See something, say something", we better trample your due process rights, your 4th Amendment rights, illegally detain you, (Well, not anymore since we now have probable cause!) and any number of indignities......

...after all, it's for safety. Can't argue with safety, right? Just doing our jobs. Keeping Americans safe from that undefined "something". Isn't that nice?

Last edited:

Metalhead47

How do you extrapolate "bomb or suspicious package" from the phrase "See something, say something"? At no point whatsoever do I see the terms, "bomb", "suspicious", or "package" anywhere at all within this phrase. After close examination, you seem to have 1) observed something 2) interpreted its meaning for yourself 3) assumed you interpreted it correctly 4) assumed that other's interpretations were wrong 5) assumed that you could correct their wrongful interpretations.

Pretty good work providing that you are able to provide direct evidence that "they" are indeed referring to bombs or suspicious packages. However, I seem to have missed the memo from "them" which references this specific information.

All I am left to base MY individual interpretation on is an extremely vague catch phrase which, to me, seems very open to interpretation from anyone who reads it. Joe Snuffy sitting next to me on the bus might interpret it as "If you see someone who appears to be Muslim, tell the authorities." Susie Creamcheese sitting in the next row might interpret it as, "If you see someone with a duffle bag, report it to the authorities." Klanny McCrossburner in the next car might disagree with all of the above and interpret it to mean, "If you see an African American in a hoodie, tell the authorities." Libby McGunhater, staring daggers at my Springfield Armory shirt and NRA hat while rooting through her purse for her cell phone might interpret it as, "If you see someone who could possibly be armed, tell the authorities."

I don't think its too "tinfoil hat" to look at such a vaguely worded and unspecific soundbite and wonder......"What could "they" want by posting such a fuzzy directive for all to see?"

If you refuse to see the probablity that everyone will choose their own interpretation and rat, snitch, inform, or downright sell their own mother to "them" if it meets whatever vague definition of "threatening" they personally choose, you're one of the people convinced of their own specific interpretation to the exclusion of anyone who differs.

Now, comparing it to the Gesthapo and the Nazi informant process is a little "tinfoil hat"......but even so, it bares a very strong resemblance to the basic process of 1) incite a general sense of fear 2) designate "undesirables" 3) provide a means of "acceptance" at the expense of the "undesirables" 4) watch people attempt to gain "acceptance" in order to differentiate themselves from those "undesirables" by POINTING "THEM" OUT.

The insidious thing about this entire "See something, say something" program isn't that it horrifically singles out a specific "undesirable".....

.....It's that it leaves the interpretation open, knowing full well that the general public will focus on whatever "boogeyman" they choose, leaving "them" free to "investigate" any damned one they want under the blanket excuse of "well, we received a report, and you know "See something, say something", we better trample your due process rights, your 4th Amendment rights, illegally detain you, (Well, not anymore since we now have probable cause!) and any number of indignities......

...after all, it's for safety. Can't argue with safety, right? Just doing our jobs. Keeping Americans safe from that undefined "something". Isn't that nice?

:rolleyes:

You must not have this ad campaign in MO (that's funny, I thought it was nation-wide). The literature and images that generally appear right next to the phrase make it pretty clear "they" are advising people to look out for bombs & suspicious packages, since the images are usually of, well, things that look like bombs & suspicious packages. :p

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran

Superlite27,

Your post is interesting to say the least :banghead:

Since you are posting in the WA forum, I have to assume you are intimately familiar with the Ads here on the WA state ferries, which have been running for a bit now.

I have to assume, since you are posting in the WA forum, that you are familiar with the Coast Guard gunboats that accompany the Ferries on their routes routinely.

I have to assume, since you are posting in the WA forum, that you are familiar with the signs on the Ferries stating to Not leave unattended backpacks/ purses/ packages on the Ferries.

I have to assume, since you are posting in the WA forum, that you are familiar with the BOMB sniffing dogs that are routinely used by the WSP in the Ferry lines.

And I have to assume you are familiar with this campaign:
http://www.wsp.wa.gov/information/releases/2011_archive/mr090111b.htm

This, Superlite27, is how we, as you so kindly put it,
extrapolate "bomb or suspicious package" from the phrase "See something, say something"

PistolPackingMomma

Fascitelli doesn`t argue the right to have a gun in the house -- he argues the wisdom and encourages people to know the facts before they buy. "More times you`re going to be just as good with a baseball bat or yelling at them or calling the police," he said.

I'd laugh if the stupidity weren't so pervasive and profound...

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Last edited: