• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB358 - An Act Concerning Prohibiting The Transfer Of Assault Weapons Or Machine Guns To Minors

PatMcCotter

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Being new to CT legislative process I just found this little wordsmithing in the SB358 committee bill that imposes a fine/jail sentence on anyone who possesses a machine gun.

Ostensibly the bill is a reaction to the accidental shooting of the 8-year-old CT boy at a MA gun shoot, but the wording in Section 2 of this bill changes 53-202 (c) from:

"Any person who possesses or uses a machine gun for an offensive or aggressive purpose..."

to

" Any person who (1) possessesa machine gun, (2) uses a machine gun for an offensive or aggressive purpose, or (3)..."

That removes the "offensive or aggressive" clause from the "possesses" part of the statement and makes possession of a machine gun a crime without exception for lawful owners of machine guns.

Yes, I know public hearing is done on this bill but... where does it go from here?

Pat

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2009/TOB/S/2009SB-00358-R01-SB.htm

PatMcCotter

Opt-Out Members
imported post

My Rep here in Meriden set this reply to my email. I also sent it to Rep Coutu who seems to be a gun-friendly legislator.

=======================================================
Pat,

Thank you for your input. I will keep it in mind as this issue comes
before me.

Welcome to Meriden!

Best,

Christopher G. Donovan
Speaker of the House

> -----Original Message-----
> From: <email redacted>
> Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 6:18 AM
> To: Rep. Donovan, Christopher; zRepresentative Christopher Coutu
> Subject: SB358
>
>
> Having moved to CT last summer - from NH - I am still not up
> to speed on how the CT legislature works so I am a bit behind
> the curve on this specific issue.
>
> Since it will be on its way to the House in the future,
> though, I thought I would give you a heads up on wording in
> SB358 that would criminalize possession of a machine gun in
> CT by anyone.
>
> Section 2 of SB358 changes 53-202(c) from:
>
> "Any person who possesses or uses a machine gun for an
> offensive or aggressive purpose..."
>
> to
>
> " Any person who (1) possesses a machine gun, (2) uses a
> machine gun for an offensive or aggressive purpose, or (3)..."
>
> That removes the "offensive or aggressive" clause from the
> "possesses" part of the statement and makes possession of a
> machine gun a crime without exception for lawful owners of
> machine guns.
>
> Thank you,
> Pat <last name redacted>
> Meriden, CT
>

PatMcCotter

Opt-Out Members
imported post

It looks like my finding of this on April 14 crossed paths with the update of the bill tracking on the legislative web site. The bill was changed as of April 1st to restore the original phrasing.

"Any person who (1) possesses or uses a machine gun for an offensive or aggressive purpose, or (2)..."