• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB93 for dummies

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Permit part of SB 93 converting Pro-gun Elite

As it stands now, I agree with you. You are not missing anything unless I am as well.

In a conversation with a good freind of mine in Wisconsin, who has an in with the "elite" of Wisconsin gun culture, I learned that the "elite" which has been consistantly for a permit and training, is becomeing pro- SB 93 when they learn that it includes a permit and does not make it legal for non-permitees to carry within 1000 feet of a school. Once it is explained that the school zones prevent people from generally carrying in Milwaukee, without a permit, they nod, and say "Oh, that is OK, then.

These are the people that we have to convert to pass SB 93. I think it is probable that it will pass, if we can make this argument understood by the "elite" pro-gunners.

By "elite", I mean those who are high up in the competitive circles, who are the backbone of gun clubs, those who train shooters for the olympics.

This is good news, because not only do we get SB 93 passed, but it puts us in an excellent philosophical position to incrementally improve this legislation in the future.

oak1971

We need to learn from the liberal left. Incrimentalism is how you get things done, a little here, a little there until you end up where you want to be with no one realizing how it happened.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Ok, SB93 was reffered to the joint comitee on finance using rule 41(1)(e)

http://legis.wisconsin.gov/2011/data/SB93hst.html

Senate Rule 41. Rereference in order; withdrawing from committee. (1) (a) Any bill, resolution or other matter may be rereferred at any time previous to its passage, except that in no case shall a motion to withdraw from committee take effect prior to a committee hearing if such has been scheduled when the motion to withdraw is made during the week in which the bill, resolution or other matter is scheduled for a public hearing.

(b) A motion to rerefer or withdraw shall be in order, but the question shall be divisible, and the senate having once refused to rerefer or withdraw a bill, resolution or other matter from committee, any subsequent motion to rerefer or withdraw shall require a suspension of the rules.

(c) A motion to withdraw a matter from the committee on senate organization shall, if approved, place the matter on the calendar. A motion to withdraw a matter from any other committee shall, if approved, place the matter in the committee on senate organization unless the senate rerefers the matter to a different committee.

(d) Whenever a bill is introduced in the senate or assembly under section 227.19 (5) (e) or 227.26 (2) (f) of the statutes, the bill shall be considered reported without recommendation and shall be placed before the committee on senate organization if no report is received from the standing committee within 30 days of the date of referral. This paragraph does not apply if the bill is introduced within 30 days of the time at which no further proposals may be introduced in the regular session under joint rule 83 (2).

(e) During any interim period between regularly scheduled floorperiods, if the committee on senate organization receives a standing committee's report on a bill that by statute requires review by the joint committee on finance before being passed, the committee on senate organization may, on any day of the interim, rerefer that bill to the joint committee on finance and, in that case, shall direct the chief clerk to record the rereferral by an appropriate entry in the journal.

(2) In no case shall reference to committee be in order after a bill or resolution has been passed or indefinitely postponed or finally disposed of by any action equivalent thereto. Questions of reconsideration, concurrence in amendments of the other house or executive vetoes may be placed on the table but shall in no case be referred to any committee.

(3) The legislative council shall not be deemed to be a legislative committee within the meaning of this rule and reference of bills or resolutions thereto for recommendation as in the case of standing or special committees shall not be in order.

[(1)(d) cr. 1981 S.Res. 2]
[(1)(c) and (d) am. 1987 S.Res. 2, 1993 S.Res. 3]
[(1)(e) cr. 1997 S.Res. 2]

I'm not sure if this is good or bad.

M

McX

we should all be very proud of our efforts, and constant vigilance; i am hearing from many, in many venues, that the topic(s) of the coming gun laws are being discussed, and on the mind(s) daily of citizens who have no interest, nor affiliation. These people are surprisingly coming out in support of our efforts. Let us not forget the 'hunters' as well; i hear that overwhelmingly this 'group' supports Constitutional no permit, nothing, carry. we are the drop in the ocean, that has built to a tidal wave. be proud!

paul@paul-fisher.com

we should all be very proud of our efforts, and constant vigilance; i am hearing from many, in many venues, that the topic(s) of the coming gun laws are being discussed, and on the mind(s) daily of citizens who have no interest, nor affiliation. These people are surprisingly coming out in support of our efforts. Let us not forget the 'hunters' as well; i hear that overwhelmingly this 'group' supports Constitutional no permit, nothing, carry. we are the drop in the ocean, that has built to a tidal wave. be proud!

The key is, don't give up! Talk to anyone who will listen, ask them to contact their representative. If we keep spreading the word and asking for support, it will happen.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
SB93 is very much in play.

Ok, SB93 was reffered to the joint comitee on finance using rule 41(1)(e)

http://legis.wisconsin.gov/2011/data/SB93hst.html

I'm not sure if this is good or bad.
Since all 5 members voted to do this, I'm going to guess it is a good/necessary step.
Review of Other Fiscal Bills

The Committee's fiscal oversight duties include
the review of all other (non-budget) revenue or
spending bills. This responsibility emanates from a
statutory requirement [s. 13.093(1)] which specifies
that, "All bills introduced in either house of the legis-
lature for the appropriation of money, providing
for revenue or relating to taxation shall be referred
to the joint committee on finance before being
passed."
The Joint Committee on Finance is a statutory, 16-member standing committee of the Wisconsin Legislature. The Committee's primary responsibility is to serve as the principal legislative committee charged with the review of all state appropriations and revenues. The map indicates the home of each of the Committee's members.

Informational Paper #78, entitled Joint Committee on Finance is a detailed summary, prepared by the Wisconsin Legislative Fiscal Bureau, that describes the Committee's responsibilities. This file requires Adobe Acrobat.

The Legislative Fiscal Bureau prepares a variety of papers to assist the Joint Committee on Finance during its deliberations on the state’s budget, other legislation that the Committee addresses and requests under s. 13.10 of the statutes. Click here to go to the Legislative Fiscal Bureau web page.

If you wish to receive Joint Committee on Finance meeting notices by E-mail, please visit the Wisconsin Legislative Notification Service at: http://notify.legis.state.wi.us/Home.aspx
Committee Members
Senate Members....................................................Assembly Members

Senator Alberta Darling, Co-Chair...........................Representative Robin Vos, Co-Chair
Senator Luther Olsen ...........................................Representative Dan Meyer
Senator Sheila Harsdorf .......................................Representative Dan LeMahieu
Senator Joe Leibham ...........................................Representative John Nygren
Senator Glenn Grothman ......................................Representative Pat Strachota
Senator Randy Hopper .........................................Representative Joel Kleefisch
Senator Lena Taylor ............................................Representative Tamara Grigsby
Senator Robert Jauch ..........................................Representative Jennifer Shilling

Committee Clerk:
Joe Malkasian
Room 305 East, State Capitol
Madison, WI 53702
(608) 264-8314
Any correspondence to the Committee should be sent directly to each Joint Committee on Finance member’s office individually, including Co-Chair Darling and Co-Chair Vos, by U.S. Mail or E-mail. Member’s address information can be found by clicking on each of their names above.
I'd say that SB93 was very much in play. :banana:

Last edited: