• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SD meetup Jan. 15th

hgreen

it would be nice to support long guns also.

We support all carry, constitutional carry. Unfortunately, (not to sound like the calguns folks who sacrifice open carry for concealed carry), carrying a handgun for self-defense makes a lot more sense for close encounters like you would have in an urban setting, and does not give the anti-2a press an easy target to focus in on.

I think if we have a private open carry meet with no chance of press then carrying a long gun would be fine...

But on public outreach missions like this fair, its best to leave the long guns at home.

Joshua Costa

Activist Member
We support all carry, constitutional carry. Unfortunately, (not to sound like the calguns folks who sacrifice open carry for concealed carry), carrying a handgun for self-defense makes a lot more sense for close encounters like you would have in an urban setting, and does not give the anti-2a press an easy target to focus in on.

But on public outreach missions like this fair, its best to leave the long guns at home.

I don't want to derail the purpose of this thread to much, but I respectfully disagree.

Hand guns are becoming more accepted because of the efforts of open carry. Even in an urban setting my go to firearm is a long gun. The only purpose in my eyes for a pistol is the ability to carry it concealed, and as a back up if my main weapon malfunctions.

I do not agree that a hand gun for self defense in an urban setting makes more sense than a long gun. The ability to make well placed shots does. The fact that you can effectively clear buildings through hallways and doorways with an M16 proves this point.

I'm sorry if i'm stirring the pot I just feel more comfortable with a long gun.

Last edited:

xmattedgex

I really want to go to this one. I still have not UOC'd yet and really want to get the experience along with a group. So is there a definitive plan/meet up place yet? I carry a Springfield xd. Can I bring it locked up in it's case and then inside a backpack? That's really all I have. I also have two problems,
1. I currently lack a printer so I can't print out any fliers
2. I also won't have the money for a voice recorder until next pay check. Closest thing I will have is my iPhone.
Can I still come along?

Firemark

I think if we have a private open carry meet with no chance of press then carrying a long gun would be fine...

+1

...I hear you Joshua, you are right, you should be able to carry that which you are familiar with for defense. I nor anyone else can make you do anything other, but those of us who have been working very hard to change the mindset and paradigm of thought in this state and our country realize that we have to be smart and use good judgement, and by degrees, change things so that all of our rights and freedoms can be exercised freely. This may not be what everyone wants to do but we need more allys not more critics especially right now. So the best stratgic activity to keep the movement moving forward is UOC of handguns (for now). But when that day does finally arrive, I will be happy to walk by your side with my rifle over my back and your rifle over yours, when people are more accepting of it

Firemark

I really want to go to this one. I still have not UOC'd yet and really want to get the experience along with a group. So is there a definitive plan/meet up place yet? I carry a Springfield xd. Can I bring it locked up in it's case and then inside a backpack? That's really all I have. I also have two problems,
1. I currently lack a printer so I can't print out any fliers
2. I also won't have the money for a voice recorder until next pay check. Closest thing I will have is my iPhone.
Can I still come along?

Plans are being worked, it will be up soon. you will have the details you need. Try your best to get what you can to UOC, you will get plenty of support. stay tuned

xmattedgex

Plans are being worked, it will be up soon. you will have the details you need. Try your best to get what you can to UOC, you will get plenty of support. stay tuned

Will do, thanks!
So will the case my gun came in locked up in a backpack be ok?

XD5

I'm in for this as well, when you get those plans worked out i'll be sure to try make this. Will be my first open carry event. Just been doing it solo or with my girlfriend as of late.

Firemark

It will help out-of-towners a lot of you set a solid time/place for everyone to meet at prior to heading to the event.

I'll definitely post this on our mailing list for SBOC.

I personally won't be able to make it down there due to my classes starting up again :(

For all those wishing to participate please email myself or hgreen for the initial rendezvous point, appears with recent events, one or more news medias will be present to interview. You will most likely be on the news.

xmattedgex

For all those wishing to participate please email myself or hgreen for the initial rendezvous point, appears with recent events, one or more news medias will be present to interview. You will most likely be on the news.

Hopefully by email you mean pm :)

Firemark

Hopefully by email you mean pm :)

affirm, my bad I got all your PM's.

Also I would like to have a discussion and put out some requests to all attending.

Saturday appears to rapidly be shaping up to an elevated media profile event.And attendence rsvp are growing rapidly, and with the recent events in AZ I have some REQUESTS.

Before anyone gets there panties in a bunch these are request, not demands or requirements just somethings to help the gun rights cause not hurt it. You are not in anyway going to be held to doing any of these.

There is a high likelyhood many will be on camera, which means the LIBERAL GUN FEARING NEWS is going to try to paint us poorly, dont give them any help, Refrain from shirts with lots of gun pictures or with sarcastic intent on them. Positive gentle messages please, not in your face attitude. Try to look like a normal average looking citizen, not one with an agenda. (a shirt saying "From my cold dead hands" combined with camoflouge pants and combat boots is the negative image we dont want the liberal media, vpc, or Bradys to use in their propoganda campaign.) Not saying you have to wear a button down and a tie, you can if you want to, but just dont go to the extreme on the otherside.

If you have children bring them, show the people watching the news responsible americans teaching their children responsible gun ownership.

The media is a powerful tool to influence many people at once, if we are smart and wear, do, and say the right things, we can make powerful strides forward in the 2A movement.

Just my opinion, Im open to comments

Joshua Costa

Activist Member
I plan on having a fun day with my 2 year old daughter. I hear their are lots of fun activities for her and I'm looking forward to trying out some good food :)

Ruiner.NIN

I agree, the more the people can identify with us the more likely they will be open to listening to what we have to say.

In other words, the more they think we are like them the more approachable we will be.

Joshua Costa

Activist Member
I agree, the more the people can identify with us the more likely they will be open to listening to what we have to say.

In other words, the more they know we are like them the more approachable we will be.

fixed, we are just like every other red blooded American.

xmattedgex

Last edited:

Firemark

Uh, that sucks! Good thing you found that so we don't all get arrested!!!
although, that kinda seems farther than 1000 feet

Just called and confirmed they do have classes there in the shopping mall, I will go down and scout the property and determine with range finder 1000 ft. stay tuned.

Firemark

And just FYI I called the Childrens Museum they do NOT have any k-12 charter school there. and I called Bright Horizins on 475 W Broadway, it is PRE Kindergarten.

Everyone keep doing searches and help out make calls more fingers make safer experience.