• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Self defense shooting in Manassas

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It seems to me that after 4 pages of speculation, it might just be about time for one of you guys who claims to have a reliable source on this storyto step up to the plate and find out what your source is talking about.

Some of us have checked all of our sources in local LE and found nothing. Some of us have checked our sources in the FD and found nothing. Now we have the press asking US what happened, so obviously the local news has no idea.

In my view this is a non-event. A double defensive shooting would be a very big story here, and it was not.

Regards

TFred

imported post

It is a quandry. I am really starting to think there are Feds involved somehow, and the whole incident "never really happened"... even though it did.

Maybe I watch too much TV. Or maybe the rest of us don't watch enough! :shock:

Living in this area, I don't think it is too hard to believe that there are scenarios where this could happen, and there be no publicly available evidence whatsoever. Whether or not this is such a case remains to be seen, if ever.

If it is a clean-up, then the only thing left to happen is for the original sources to recant their story as a mistake, or misunderstanding. I don't think Feds would leave loose ends.

We need to find a private person who records scanner traffic in the area!

TFred

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Holy .... Ok, trust me there are no "X" files. Moulder and Sculley would have been fired the moment they started to look at each other in any way except as two Agents assigned to work together.

Regards

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
It seems to me that after 4 pages of speculation, it might just be about time for one of you guys who claims to have a reliable source on this story to step up to the plate and find out what your source is talking about.

Some of us have checked all of our sources in local LE and found nothing.  Some of us have checked our sources in the FD and found nothing.  Now we have the press asking US what happened, so obviously the local news has no idea.

In my view this is a non-event.  A double defensive shooting would be a very big story here, and it was not.

Regards
I heard from the OP source today, it is just as frustrating to him that there is nothing to confirm his story but he is sticking to it. If gotm4 hadn't posted anything even I would have doubts. However he heard a similar story so I'm inclined to think there is fire to go with the smoke.

Why hasn't this been reported? That is a very good question. The local paper hasn't heard about it but you could fill several books with the crime that they don't report.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

[align=center]LOCALACTIVIST SAYS DEFENSIVE SHOOTINGS ARE CRIMES[/align]
[align=left]NorthernVirginiaUnintelligencer Journalog
[/align]
[align=left]Our ace reporter,Data (Snoopy) Diggs, isinvestigating reports of a defensive shooting in the Manassas area. Local sources--police,fire, and Ouija boards--are coming up dry even though Manassas andPrince Williamare not.[/align]
[align=left]However, our ace reporter stumbled onto something elsein the course of his investigation. A local 2nd Amendment activist was quoted as saying defensive shootings are crimes: "Why hasn't this been reported? That is a very good question. The local paper hasn't heard about it but you could fill several books with the crime that they don't report."[/align]
[align=left]Asked for comment, the local chapter president of Yappy Moms Against Guns spluttered and said, "Of course! Mere possession of a gun, even for self-protection, is a violation of my right to feel safe. Do you hear me? My right!" Our reporter was unable to finish the interview.[/align]
[align=left]Doctor Frybrains, local psychiatrist, when asked to comment on theapparent contradiction of a gun-rights advocate being opposed to defensive gun usage, responded, "Well, we all know gunsand violence are linked. And sex and violence are linked. And that gun owners aresubconsciously trying to compensate. So, since he's compensating in the other direction, it tellsme he has a large gun. I hear he's a big guy, too. And, his usernameis Longwatch. Yes, I'm sure my diagnosis is correct. He's compensating in the other direction because he has a large gun. Do you know how I can contact him? I'd really like to get him on my couch. Ahem. To double-check, of course. My diagnosis, that is."[/align]
[align=left]When askedif the advocate's commentcould be just a slip of the tongue, Dr. Friedbrain's dreamy-eyed reply was not appropriate for a family newspaper.[/align]
[align=left]Compiled from staff reports[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left](Satire. Any resemblence to living or dead people or newspapers is unintentional.)[/align]
[align=left]Sorry.Couldn't help myself.[/align]
[align=left]:D[/align]

longwatch

imported post

Very funny.

But seriously they aren't reporting a crime. Two criminals were robbing a man, when they were stopped in the act.

By gunshots to the head.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

longwatch wrote:
Very funny.

But seriously they aren't reporting a crime. Two criminals were robbing a man, when they were stopped in act.

By gunshots to the head.

I knew you meant that. I just couldn't resist taking advantage of the ambiguity.

Didn't mean to offend. I apologize.

longwatch

imported post

I thought it was funny, if I was offended I would have told a story about women and long arms.

dyver1

imported post

If Longwatch is citing the source that I think he is, thenhe runs at 508, YVFD.

The source should have access to the run logs at the station and should easily be able to get an incident number, since every run is logged and assigned an incident number and the logs are normally kept right in the station office, open for any running member to access (at tleast that is how itwas when I ran at 511 and 421 a few years back).

At a minimum, he can provide a speciifc date and time which will allow the interested members of this board to file an FOIA request to the appropriate authorities including copies of tapes etc.

Having only met this young man once, but spending some time interacting with him, I have no reason to doubt his veracity, but think it is time for him to take the initiative to help out the entire firearm owning community who carry regularly for self defense bolster our case.

Longwatch, do you think you can prod him a little to be more interactive on this?

Be Careful Out There!

Paul

VAopencarry

imported post

. Yes dyver, that's him, 508. He said the area was actually Stonewalls. I talked to friend who runs with Stonewall(volunteer) and is paid Manassas rescue squad and he said he hasn't heard of it. My head is starting to hurt......might do a FOIA.

dyver1

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
. Yes dyver, that's him, 508. He said the area was actually Stonewalls. I talked to friend who runs with Stonewall(volunteer) and is paid Manassas rescue squad and he said he hasn't heard of it. My head is starting to hurt......might do a FOIA.

To do an effective FOIA, you will need something for them to work from like a date/time, specific location or an incident number, otherwise they can easily come back and say nothing found.

Must have been a busy night in PW County to have 508 all the way over in 511's area. But I do recall a few of those type nights when I was active at 511 quite a few years ago. I spent a few nights in 508's area, but usually only for fire calls, rarely for Ambulance calls unless it was as a MEDIC unit, when they were fewer and farther between. Don't know if 508 is running an active MEDIC these days, that may have been the reason they were over there since they might have been the only available MEDIC on that end of the county.

Again, I stand by my statement that he should easily be able to back up his claim with an incident number, which any member should have access to.

Now if he just responded on his own because he was in the area and operating a scanner, which I have done myself on more than one occasion, he would have a more difficult time getting the information, but he should at least be able to tell us date/time, approximate location and who was "officially" on the scene. That way an FOIA becomes easy.

Be Careful Out There!

Paul

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

You do not need a time and date to do a FOIA. Just ask for all information related to a single incident, involving two persons, who were shot in the last month.

Now along with what you get you will also have information about the Dale City murders that are currently still headline news, but you would get anything relevant to the incident in the OP as well.

Regards

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
You do not need a time and date to do a FOIA. Just ask for all information related to a single incident, involving two persons, who were shot in the last month.

Now along with what you get you will also have information about the Dale City murders that are currently still headline news, but you would get anything relevant to the incident in the OP as well.

Regards

One can narrow the search window just a little bit by selecting dates, "Calls for service between date x and date y.

My question is whether a volunteer FD is subject to FOIA.

Of course, police would have gotten the same call. Rather, I think they would have. So maybe a FOIA to the police would be effective.