• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SENATE STAFFER BUSTED FOR CARRYING WEBB'S LOADED GUN

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

SENATOR WEBB COMES OUT SWINGING IN SUPPORT OF THE SECOND AMENDMENT!

Gun arrest gives Webb political opening

Virginia Democrat uses incident with aide to proclaim right of self-defense

By Tom Curry
National affairs writer
MSNBC

Updated: 5:34 p.m. CT March 27, 2007

WASHINGTON - Sen. Jim Webb turned an awkward episode — the arrest of one of his aides for carrying a gun into one of the Senate office buildings — into a political opportunity Tuesday, giving a spirited defense of his and other Americans’ right to carry firearms to defend themselves.

While Webb, D-Va., did not specifically say he’d support a change in the law in the District of Columbia that bans most residents and visitors from carrying or even possessing guns, he did defend the right of people to use guns in self-defense.

“I’m a strong supporter of the Second Amendment; I have had a permit to carry a weapon in Virginia for a long time; I believe that it’s important; it’s important to me personally and to a lot of people in the situation that I’m in to be able to defend myself and my family,” he said.

Since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, he said, “it’s a more dangerous time” for those serving in government. “I’m not going to comment with great specificity about how I defend myself, but I do feel I have that right,” he added.

Webb, a Marine veteran of the Vietnam War and former secretary of the Navy, said members of Congress did not have the high level of protection that the president and executive branch officials have. As a result, he said, “We are required to defend ourselves.”

Not specific on how he defends himself
When a reporter asked Webb if he considered himself “above Washington D.C.’s gun law,” the Virginian replied that he would not comment on “how I provide for my own security.”

When asked if he thought the D.C. law should be changed to allow law-abiding people in Washington to carry weapons, Webb stressed his support for the Second Amendment and added, “I believe the Virginia law is a fair law. I believe that wherever you see laws that allow people to carry (weapons), generally the violence goes down.”

Webb, who won by only four-tenths of one percent last November over Sen. George Allen, has made a point of differing with liberal Democrats on the gun issue.

Webb argued in his 2004 book “Born Fighting” that 2000 Democratic presidential nominee Al Gore’s “position on gun control cost him the election, not in Florida but in the Scots-Irish redoubts of Tennessee and West Virginia, both of which through history and logic should have been slam-dunk electoral votes in his favor.”

Virginia law allows citizens to get a permit to carry a concealed weapon, as long as they are not felons nor have been convicted of a violent misdemeanor.

Carrying loaded pistol
Webb aide Phillip Thompson was arraigned Tuesday for violating D.C. law. “He completely inadvertently took the weapon into the Senate yesterday,” Webb said.

Capitol police said that Thompson had a loaded pistol with two additional fully loaded magazines when he entered the Russell Senate Office building Monday.

He was charged with carrying a pistol without a license and having an unregistered firearm and unregistered ammunition.

The arrest came only a few days after the gun issue forced Democratic leaders were to avert a House vote on giving the District of Columbia a voting representative in the House. Rep. Lamar Smith, R-Texas, used a parliamentary tactic to try to force a vote on his proposal to overturn the D.C. gun ban.

Rather than allow that vote, Democratic leaders temporarily shunted aside the entire D.C. representation bill. They have pledged to bring the legislation back after the Easter recess, and the Republican sponsor of the bill, Rep. Tom Davis of Virginia, said Tuesday that Democratic leaders could find a parliamentary method of ruling Smith’s gun measure non-germane.

Republican amused at Webb comments
Smiling with amusement at Webb’s defense of gun owners’ rights, Smith jokingly wondered if Webb would send a letter to House Democrats urging them to support his effort to scrap the district’s gun ban.

“We’ve heard for so long how strong the Democrats felt about voting rights for D.C. residents, and yet they were willing to kill the bill rather than allow D.C. residents to have firearms to protect themselves against criminals,” Smith said.

He supports retro-ceding most D.C. territory back to Maryland and thus giving all people now residing in the district representation by Maryland’s members of the House.

Last week when Smith unveiled his gun provisions, D.C. delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton denounced the move as “disgusting” and said, “All that they got was a nuisance delay, but we will get our bill any day now.”

Some House Democrats would vote for Smith’s gun proposal if it were on the floor. One of them, Rep. Collin Peterson, D-Minn. said Tuesday, “I just don’t believe gun control laws work. What we see is that communities where they have strict gun control laws actually have more problems with crime than communities that don’t.”

He said crime in Washington, D.C., itself was evidence of that: “That proves the point."

He added that "people that know how to handle guns, there should be no prohibition against them having a gun.”

Democrat keeps guns in his office
Peterson said his constituents in his mostly rural Minnesota district are aware of the D.C. gun ban. “They ask me questions about what I do with my guns. The answer is they’re in my (Capitol) office because it’s legal,” Peterson said.

Asked how he gets his guns from his residence to his office, Peterson said, “It’s not very far to the Virginia line.”

Federal law allows members of Congress “or their agents” to transport unloaded and securely wrapped firearms to and from the Capitol grounds.

On March 9, a three-judge panel of the federal appeals court in the District of Columbia overturned part of the district’s gun ban. District of Columbia Mayor Adrian Fenty has pledged to fight that ruling, possibly by appealing to the Supreme Court.

While the city moves to petition the full Court of Appeals for rehearing, the gun law remains in effect.

© 2007 MSNBC Interactive© 2007 MSNBC Interactive
var url=location.href;var i=url.indexOf('/did/') + 1;if(i==0){i=url.indexOf('/print/1/') + 1;}if(i==0){i=url.indexOf('&print=1');}if(i>0){url = url.substring(0,i);document.write('URL: '+url+'
');if(window.print){window.print()}else{alert('To print his page press Ctrl-P on your keyboard nor choose print from your browser or device after clicking OK');}}

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
swatpro911 wrote:
do you really have to register your ammunations in VA?

No, but you do in DC.
One of these days when I am really bored, I am going to figure out just how the hell they do this in DC. Ammo is pretty much just ammo. It is not serially numbered. Lot number cover a LOT of boxes. When you think about it, this is a charge that they could get anyone with a cartridge on. How would you be able to prove it was registered, and how would they be able to prove it wasn't?

That law is dumber than their gun law if that is possible.

Regards

Anubis

imported post

SicSemperTyrannis wrote:
On March 9, a three-judge panel of the federal appeals court in the District of Columbia overturned part of the district’s gun ban. District of Columbia Mayor Adrian Fenty has pledged to fight that ruling, possibly by appealing to the Supreme Court.

While the city moves to petition the full Court of Appeals for rehearing, the gun law remains in effect.

(a) A court decision overturned the DC gun ban.

(b) The DC gun law remains in effect.

Maybe I am too feeble-minded to comprehend legal fine points, butlogically either (a) or (b) didn't happen. Both statements can't be true.

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

This is common in court cases. Both a and b are true, actually. Regardless of who wins, if a subject raises serious constitutional questions, the decision is stayed pending appeal. We''ll just have to wait to see what the entire court (en banc) says, or else the Supreme Court. Meanwhile, the decisions stands as is, but it is not enforceable pending appeal.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
rlh2005 wrote:
swatpro911 wrote:

No, but you do in DC.
One of these days when I am really bored, I am going to figure out just how the hell they do this in DC. Ammo is pretty much just ammo. It is not serially numbered. Lot number cover a LOT of boxes. When you think about it, this is a charge that they could get anyone with a cartridge on. How would you be able to prove it was registered, and how would they be able to prove it wasn't?

Regards
Hawk, I'm not sure how true this is, but I heard that it was illegal in DC to even have a spent shell case. Can anyone confirm that one?

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BobCav wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
rlh2005 wrote:
swatpro911 wrote:

No, but you do in DC.

Regards
Hawk, I'm not sure how true this is, but I heard that it was illegal in DC to even have a spent shell case.  Can anyone confirm that one?

Yes. it is an ammunition component.

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HankT wrote:
Uh-oh for Phillip Thompson...

Webb says he did not give aide his gun

By Jeremy Jacobs

March 27, 2007

Sen. Jim Webb (D-Va.) said Tuesday that he did not give staffer Phillip Thompson the pistol whose possession got the aide arrested Monday when he tried to enter the Russell Senate office building.
“I have never carried a gun in the Capitol complex and I did not give the weapon to Phillip Thompson, and that’s all that I think I’ll say,” Webb told reporters.

“I think this is one of those very unfortunate situations where, completely inadvertently, he took the weapon into the Senate yesterday,” Webb added. The senator noted that he was in New Orleans from Friday until Monday. He speculated that the incident happened because three of his cars were moved because of the trip.

Webb also pointed out that he could not go into too many specifics because Thompson is being arraigned Tuesday.

However, the senator made some broad points related to the incident, including his support for gun rights.

“Everyone here knows that I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment, that I have had a permit to carry a weapon in Virginia for a long time, and I believe that it’s important — it’s important for me, personally, and for a lot of people in the situation that I’m in, to be able to defend myself and my family.”

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/webb-says-he-did-not-give-aide-his-gun-2007-03-27.html
Notice the comment from Webb!!!
Spoken like a true Commie; you need to be in his "situation" to have a need to defend yourself and family. He is a strong supporter of the 2A because it was inserted into the CONUS to apply to the nobility members of the country.

Democrats... not worth the flesh their printed on

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I was just watching the local news (wavy tv 10)and they interviewed senator ken stolle of virginia beach. He refered to us as a gun nut state and thought this would not hurt webb with gunowners because all the good old boys would think it's great he was carrying because it was his right. Stolle wasn't backing us, he was talking down to us as if we were a bunch of backwood hillbilly idiots.
I think I'll fire off an email to the elitist idiot.:cuss:

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

kimbercarrier wrote:
I was just watching the local news (wavy tv 10)and they interviewed senator ken stolle of virginia beach. He refered to us as a gun nut state and thought this would not hurt webb with gunowners because all the good old boys would think it's great he was carrying because it was his right. Stolle wasn't backing us, he was talking down to us as if we were a bunch of backwood hillbilly idiots.
I think I'll fire off an email to the elitist idiot.:cuss:
Looks like you folks down state have some work to do in the next election.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Dr. John R. Lott, Jr. says on his blog http://johnrlott.tripod.com/ in

Senator Webb on Carrying a Gun For Personal Protection
I have read this discussion a couple of times and it is not clear to me what the answer is. From the quote itself, it appears that Senator Webb does carry a gun around the Senate or at least wants to give others that impression.

Referring to FoxNews' late coverage at http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,261583,00.html that includes,
Virginia Sen. Jim Webb said Tuesday he did not give aide Phillip Thompson the gun that led to his arrest in a Senate office building. Webb did not say whether it was his gun.
and
"The defendant stated that he was in possession of a pistol and two magazines belonging to Senator Jim Webb.

Speaking now for myself and referring to others' assertion of 'Webb is pro-2A,'
Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth.
I'll bet the NRA gave Webb an A+, thus my disdain for the NRA and its NRA$$-parrots that won't apparently think for themselves.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_story/0,3566,261800,00.html

So we have this interesting situation in which an aide to Sen. Jim Webb of Virginia is arrested carrying a gun into the Capitol building. The initial story is that the senator asked the aide to take his bag which contained the gun to Webb's home, but didn't mention the gun, and the aide decided to drop by the office first. That's where he got caught going through security.
Now Webb is a Second Amendment supporter, and he is licensed to carry a gun in Virginia but not in D.C. But Webb's news conference about what happened today leaves me scratching my head. Here's a key part of what Webb said:
"I have never carried a gun in the Capitol complex and I did not give the weapon to Phillip Thompson, and that's all that I think I'll say."
Webb's aide was being arraigned at almost that exact moment, so Webb thought he should refrain from saying more. But here's my problem: The senator is largely getting a pass on this, as I think he probably should. But let's just suppose a slightly different set of circumstances.
Suppose there was a hardcore Republican senator who opposed a war policy of a Democrat president. I know, you have to imagine a Democrat going to war, but let's say it's possible. And let's just say this Republican senator had a son in the military and upon meeting the president picked a fight with him and was later quoted as saying he was thinking about punching the Democrat president over the war policy and perceived rudeness. That's exactly the situation that describes Sen. Webb, except the political affiliations are reversed.
Now let's just imagine that particular Republican senator had an aide who was caught carrying the senator's loaded pistol around, revealing the fact that the senator routinely packs a gun. Couldn't I expect a great hue and cry about this senator who is so paranoid and demented he thinks he needs to carry an automatic pistol and two extra clips because he's going to need to fight his way out of, what, the Senate cloakroom?
The reason I devise this comparison is that I think Webb is right to carry a gun, and he also has a right to do so. But I think there would be far more made of this issue if the political affiliation were reversed.
That's My Word.
Watch John Gibson weekdays at 5 p.m. ET on "The Big Story" and send your comments to: myword@foxnews.com

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

The gun. Who owns the gun?

If the gun is Webb's, under exactly what circumstances did it come into the possessionof Thompson? And for exactly what purpose?

It's not that complicated of a case. The news media, for some reason, is bordering on incompetence in reporting it while the lawyers in the CPD, Thompson and Webb camps brew their legal potions.

Who owns the gun?

If Webb's, why did Thompson have it? How long did he have it?

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

(Said with extreme sarcasm...from behind cover.)

The anti's will argue with a nasaly whine:"If it was registered, we'd already KNOW who owned the gun!"

(Duck, fall back, rapid withdrawal and retreat to higher ground.......)

INCOMING!!!

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

WVCDL wrote:
I was disappointed to see that Senator Webb is not among the cosponsors of S.1001, the Senate version of the DC handgun ban repeal. :lol:

On a related note, President Bush thanked Senator Webb for providing the security at the Radio & TV correspondents dinner tonight.
And exactly why would you have expected to see Webb support S.1001. His boss... Pelosi the Commie from Callie would not allow him to. Webb only supported the rights of us regular Americans up to the point that he won the election. You know because you are not in the same "situation as me" the 2nd Amendment doen't apply to you. At least that is what i got out of his recent comments.