• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Serpa holster screws...

Wooley

imported post

I LOVE Serpa holsters...however, while changing one over from the paddle to the drop leg platform I had 2 of the 3 screws strip out. It looks like the nuts molded into the holster are also damaged...

Don't start either, I'm not an idiot and I didn't cross thread them!

Anyone else have this trouble?

Wooley

imported post

I meant the actual nuts that are molded into the holster itself...It also seems the screws that go from the paddle to the holster are shorter than what is needed for the dropleg platform...I hate to say it but I'm not liking this product anymore.

HungSquirrel

imported post

Just got my Serpa, and that is one of only two complaints I have with it. (The other is that the paddle is next to impossible to remove without unbuckling your pants, thanks to THREE hooks that dig into your belt and clothing.)

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Wooley wrote:
It also seems the screws that go from the paddle to the holster are shorter than what is needed for the dropleg platform...
I have never had a problem swapping, but you are correct, they are too short.

When I bought my thigh platform, it came with a little baggie with three longer screws in it.

Wooley

imported post

I was thinking mine did also...not sure where when went though.

Sarge, I'm wondering if you've used these in a sandy environment? I had heard that the release gets gummed up...never had that problem personally and wondered if it was true for anyone else?

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

BULLSCHNIT! Lots of officers here in Iraq use SERPAS, and I have never heard of a confirmed malfunction.

Some people claim that if you are really gung ho, you could get a little pebble lodged behind the release button.

There is not enough room between the edge of thebutton and the holster to get a decent sized pebble in there.

Mall ninjas... They worry about everything! :p

ballester

imported post

yes you need to get longer screws from blackhawk....if you can send them the unit that is stripped out...and they should replace it for you....i found out the hard way when i tried to use the single mag holder and use it on the double railed paddle setup...i went through three of them before it was decided that you needed to longer screws..but then the nut thats a part of the holster always would freely turn on its own and would not bite...i finally just got rid of it and moved on...i still like the serpa holster though...

just contact blackhawk and explain the problem and they should make it right for you

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

ballester wrote:
just contact blackhawk and eplain the problem and they should make it right for you

Agreed.

Blackhawk! has fantastic customer service. I broke the paddle for my SERPA, so I called them to get a new one.

I also inquired about two rails to put on my thigh platform to hold the mag pouches.

They sent me the new paddle, two rails, and three sets of long screws all for free! :celebrate

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

HungSquirrel wrote:
Just got my Serpa, and that is one of only two complaints I have with it. (The other is that the paddle is next to impossible to remove without unbuckling your pants, thanks to THREE hooks that dig into your belt and clothing.)
When I was researching my holster purchase, I read many complaints about the hooks making it very difficult to remove the holster.
When I got mine the first thing I did was file off the single inside hook. Now all I do to remove the holster is cup the bottom with my right hand, pull down and out, so the outside hooks clear my belt, and lift up. It slides off easy as you please.

Love mine, full size 1911.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Thats one of my favorite featureson the paddle. Nobody'spulling that off of my belt! :celebrate

In fact, that's probably how I broke my paddle. Repeatedly flexing it to get it off of my pants. :lol:

ballester

imported post

yeah fobus is good..but darn if i didnt pull the whole unit off of my belt trying to draw my pistol.....so im 50/50 on fobus....and i love serpa and i feel like im having an affair with my safariland als paddle..i just think that the holster is alittle nicer...however i still pull the old serpa out to.

HungSquirrel

imported post

flintlock tom wrote:
HungSquirrel wrote:
When I was researching my holster purchase, I read many complaints about the hooks making it very difficult to remove the holster.
When I got mine the first thing I did was file off the single inside hook. Now all I do to remove the holster is cup the bottom with my right hand, pull down and out, so the outside hooks clear my belt, and lift up. It slides off easy as you please.

I just cut off mine and filed it down, after reading your post. A world of difference! Blackhawk should make it a screw-in part if possible.

kurtmax_0

imported post

HungSquirrel wrote:
That's a good thing. You don't want the holster coming off. I don't find it too difficult to remove. You just have to practice flexing the holster correctly as you remove it.

mjones

imported post

flintlock tom wrote:
HungSquirrel wrote:

I have a half-dozen or so of them - the first thing I always do is remove the single hook on the paddle.