• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sheeple at the hardware store

Decoligny

imported post

Kriegsammler wrote:
Thank you for proving my point.

You resort to attacking me.. instead of successfully attacking my argument.. which really wasn't an "argument" per se.. just an alternate POV.

We can have those in this country last I checked.

Go ahead.. have the last word if you must..

-Adam

Word have specific meanings.

Words when properly arranged into sentences cause those sentences to have specific meanings.

He posted "whether IT is A, B or C, I will send a bullet in ITS (A, B or Cs) direction."

That is how the English language is used to convey meaning.

When read as English is intended to be read, his meaning is clear as crystal and can only be taken to mean exactly what was written.

Any other interpretation simply displays a lack of understanding of the proper rules of English grammer by the reader.

Hendu024

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
Diocoles wrote:
I've had german shepards and dobies run at me, I've pulled my weapon and I swear I have never heard a dog owner tell them down as fast as those times.

If they had not, they would have had dead animals. I agree, the leash laws are important for both the animal and the humans involved.

I love animals, but if they are acting agressive and running at me, I'll shoot first and ask questions later.
Bingo.
[line]
And for you, Virginian, I didn't say ANY dog. I said Pit, Husky, or Lab. In other words, a large canine. Would I shoot a little Mexican yippie dog? Nope. Would I shoot a mini poodle? No. Would I shoot a lap dog, incapable of killing a human? No.

You know what I'm talking about and you still asked "Any" dog. I would not shoot Any dog. I would shoot a large dog. Huskies will rip your throat out. Labs are nice but can be SUPER big and heavy, easily capable of causing severe injury. A pit bull is strong enough to pin you down and rip your neck out as well. A large enough boxer would easily be strong enough to latch onto you and not let go until shot.
Bingo. "Acting aggressively and running towards me" is a lot different than "if it's unleashed and coming towards me". I apologize if I misinterpreted your statement, but your wording made it sound like any (big) dog who walked towards you would 'get a bullet in it's direction'. Hence my statement about the unlawful discharge.

P.S. what does my location have anything to do with the reply? Or did you just feel the need to point out that my location is Virginia?

zach

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
Posting on this OCDO forum is like a broken record. Constantly the same conversations and points to make to different, separate people.. but always the same @#$%. Dogs.. open vs conceal.. long guns...family members that dont like guns... getting kicked out of places..etc

It's never new.. it's the same old issues. Ugh. Broken record.
Dude,

That's every forum, regardless of the subject matter.

BTW, My .02, it better be a rather large dog for me to feel threatened enough to fear for my life.

Kriegsammler

imported post

Hendu024 wrote:
Bingo. "Acting aggressively and running towards me" is a lot different than "if it's unleashed and coming towards me". I apologize if I misinterpreted your statement, but your wording made it sound like any (big) dog who walked towards you would 'get a bullet in it's direction'. Hence my statement about the unlawful discharge.

And that's all *I* was saying when the grammar snob.. now snobs plural.. got their skirts in a bunch.

Mountain? Waaaait a sec.. Weren't you a molehill yesterday?

-Adam

bomber

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
I don't care if it's a pit or a husky or a lab. If it's unleashed and comes towards me- I'm putting a bullet in it's direction. Leash laws exist for a reason- to protect humans And the pet itself.

I don't want to be in your mother's situation. I wish her the best and am sorry to hear she was hurt.

thats what i'm saying, the breed shouldn't matter, there is an animal living with people and that animal has the ability to maim and kill. i don't understand why anyone would ever think it was ok to let a dog wander around off his leash.

i have had to defend myself against my neighbors dog once when i was a teenager. the dog came at me growling and bearing teeth. i punched the dog in the nose and he never bothered me again. man i hated that dog.

zach

imported post

bomber wrote
i have had to defend myself against my neighbors dog once when i was a teenager. the dog came at me growling and bearing teeth. i punched the dog in the nose and he never bothered me again. man i hated that dog.
So as a teen you were able to control the situation with your fist?:idea:

To me it just seems a little over the top to have to draw down on a dog.

bomber

imported post

zach wrote:
bomber wrote
So as a teen you were able to control the situation with your fist?:idea:

To me it just seems a little over the top to have to draw down on a dog.

sometimes minimal force will handle it, other times not. i think you just have to assess the situation when it happens.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mahkagari wrote:
But this guys's astoundment that I would even need to contemplate such a thing blew me away.
Should have asked him less than half-way through that exchange, "Well what do you use it for? Salad dressing?" If he persisted, I'd have commented, "It's backup, only, in case my firearm jams."

oscar615

cscitney87 wrote: So you would 'put a bullet in it's direction' if any dog was unleashed and walking towards you? That sounds like an unlawful discharge charge against you waiting to happen. I'm glad you don't live in my neighborhood.

Well, I found this out through personal experience recently, It is legal to shoot at a dog if the dog is off of your property and The person feels threatened.

A few weeks back the battery in my dogs collar went out and he went into the street to greet someone. That person was "feeling" afraid and put a bullet into the street near my dog to scare him off. He was not bitten or anything by my dog, he was just feeling threatened. It worked. Anyway, My Wife called the sheriff. Not because he shot towards the dog but because my children and their friends were outside and she did not feel it was appropriate for this person to do that. The kids were upset by the situation.

So after the sherrif talking to us and the man who popped the shot into the street, it was determined that we were in in the wrong, our dog was running free, and the other person was in the right since it is legal to protect yourself. ANd this person would have been legally justified if he had shot and killed the dog instead of the street.

oscar615

Diocoles wrote:
Bingo.
[line]

You know what I'm talking about and you still asked "Any" dog. I would not shoot Any dog. I would shoot a large dog. Huskies will rip your throat out. Labs are nice but can be SUPER big and heavy, easily capable of causing severe injury. A pit bull is strong enough to pin you down and rip your neck out as well. A large enough boxer would easily be strong enough to latch onto you and not let go until shot.

FYI: What dog statistically most often bites humans? A female lab. The ones that most people think are the nicest dogs. They are not as nice as most would believe. Just something to ponder.

Kingfish

FYI: What dog statistically most often bites humans? A female lab. The ones that most people think are the nicest dogs. They are not as nice as most would believe. Just something to ponder.

Not even close. Try this..."German shepherds were identified as the breed involved in 44% of all bite cases..."

Then there is this (fatalities by breed-Purebred only)...
Pit bull-type 37% Rottweiler 22% German Shepherd 9% Husky-type 8% Malamute 7% Doberman 5% Chow Chow 4% Great Dane 4% Saint Bernard 4%

Ref:
http://www.dog-bite-law-center.com/pgs/stats.html
http://www.dogbitelaw.com/breeds-causing-DBRFs.pdf

zach

Well, I found this out through personal experience recently, It is legal to shoot at a dog if the dog is off of your property and The person feels threatened.

A few weeks back the battery in my dogs collar went out and he went into the street to greet someone. That person was "feeling" afraid and put a bullet into the street near my dog to scare him off. He was not bitten or anything by my dog, he was just feeling threatened. It worked. Anyway, My Wife called the sheriff. Not because he shot towards the dog but because my children and their friends were outside and she did not feel it was appropriate for this person to do that. The kids were upset by the situation.

So after the sherrif talking to us and the man who popped the shot into the street, it was determined that we were in in the wrong, our dog was running free, and the other person was in the right since it is legal to protect yourself. ANd this person would have been legally justified if he had shot and killed the dog instead of the street.

Reference? Link?

since9

Campaign Veteran
I don't care if it's a pit or a husky or a lab. If it's unleashed and comes towards me- I'm putting a bullet in it's direction.

:confused: I think I'll give the dog's demeanor a glance before I opt to put it down, as there are a lot of friendly dogs out there who'll innocently approach strangers. I'd hate to smear the name of those of us who faithfully exercise our 2A rights (or risk any diminishment of those rights) by slaying a tail-wagging pooch known by family, friends, and neighbors as "the nicest dog in the neighborhood" simply because it's unleashed and comes towards me.

For the same reason, I don't shoot every bear I've encountered in the wild (5). In fact, I've never shot a bear I've encountered in the wild, though I have drawn on one who came closer than 50 feet.

A few bangs on a lound pan sent him packing.

Last edited: