• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting in VA - Suspect surrenders

buster81

imported post

So, I checked in over at the Roanoke Times to see what you-know-who has to say on this, and read through the comments. I don't even bother to read what he writes any more because the back and forth between the 2A supporters and the RT anti-gun minions is the funniest part. I found a quote from one of the biggest gun haters after she quoted a bunch of nonsense numbers, that I found particularly funny.

"Hey, they are my stats and I will make them up as I please. :)"

Comment by Sandi Saunders — January 22, 2010 @ 11:24 am

http://blogs.roanoke.com/rtblogs/dancasey/2010/01/20/death-by-concealed-carry-125-and-counting-since-2007/#comment-20711

wylde007

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
VA became a "shall issue" state in 1988 but many judges didn't follow the state law, or added additional requirements, so VA was de facto a "May Issue" state. Va strengthened the shall-issue language in 1992 (because some judges were refusing to renew valid permits when they came up for renewal).
Which is why my original application was denied in '96, right?:X

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

peter nap wrote:
DrMark wrote:
TFred wrote:
When did we switch from may-issue to shall-issue, and did the may-issue process require character references? I haven't been paying attention that long.
Life-long VA resident here...

I first got my permit in 1991.

I had to provide a written statement of need and two character reference letters. I also had to meet with the judge.
Me too Mark, and had to list every gun I had. I had to go through that every year until they changed the law. You had to re apply every year.

I got mine in 78.
What? Stop the presses! Peter Nap had a CWP!!!!!!! File an FOIA !!!!!

And yes it was a Concealed Weapons Permit - did not limit to gun only and you could CC in establishments that served alcohol. That was before preemption also.

Had to list every gun that I wanted to CC too. Chesterfield Lt that did the initial interview wanted to know just how many I intended to carry at one time.

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
peter nap wrote:
DrMark wrote:
TFred wrote:
When did we switch from may-issue to shall-issue, and did the may-issue process require character references? I haven't been paying attention that long.
Life-long VA resident here...

I first got my permit in 1991.

I had to provide a written statement of need and two character reference letters. I also had to meet with the judge.
Me too Mark, and had to list every gun I had. I had to go through that every year until they changed the law. You had to re apply every year.

I got mine in 78.
What? Stop the presses! Peter Nap had a CWP!!!!!!! File an FOIA !!!!!

And yes it was a Concealed Weapons Permit - did not limit to gun only and you could CC in establishments that served alcohol. That was before preemption also.

Had to list every gun that I wanted to CC too. Chesterfield Lt that did the initial interview wanted to know just how many I intended to carry at one time.

Yata hey
I didn't let it expire until Perks started getting passed out Grape. Yes, I had a CWP then a CHP and I even carried an Auto (S&W 39 then a 59):shock: We all get smarter as we get older.
Now to really shatter your faith in mankind, I was even member in the NRA until they canceled their appearance because of Columbine.
I was even in the PTA once upon a time....and wore a suit everyday:shock::shock:

wylde007

imported post

peter nap wrote:
We all get smarter as we get older.
I sure wish that was true...

I used to say "If we learn from our mistakes, then I'm the smartest person I know!"

My mom (God bless her) would counter with "You're not any smarter, just more learn-ed.":D

kennys

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
peter nap wrote:
We all get smarter as we get older.
I sure wish that was true...

I used to say "If we learn from our mistakes, then I'm the smartest person I know!"

My mom (God bless her) would counter with "You're not any smarter, just more learn-ed.":D
That was back when we could make our own mistakes, and had accountability for our own actions as it shoud be. Now it seems they want to child proof/idiot proof everything.

wylde007

imported post

kennys wrote:
That was back when we could make our own mistakes, and had accountability for our own actions as it should be. Now it seems they want to child proof/idiot proof everything.
They'll find they have a much higher success rate with the former than the latter, I'm afraid.:D

kennys

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
kennys wrote:
That was back when we could make our own mistakes, and had accountability for our own actions as it should be. Now it seems they want to child proof/idiot proof everything.
They'll find they have a much higher success rate with the former than the latter, I'm afraid.:D
It is much easier for people in power to retain and control of those of less experiance or knowledge. I believe this is why things are going the way they are.

wylde007

imported post

kennys wrote:
It is much easier for people in power to retain and control of those of less experience or knowledge. I believe this is why things are going the way they are.
It is certainly a prime contributing factor, that's for sure.

kennys

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
kennys wrote:
It is much easier for people in power to retain and control of those of less experience or knowledge. I believe this is why things are going the way they are.
It is certainly a prime contributing factor, that's for sure.

Think about this, who right now do you really feel is in control of the country? Not theWhite House.

Only reason I could figure for them to allow the lack of___________fill in the blanks in that position.

Their only flaw is We the people for the most part are smarter than that, we learn to quick for their like.

Repeater

imported post

buster81 wrote:
So, I checked in over at the Roanoke Times to see what you-know-who has to say on this, and read through the comments. I don't even bother to read what he writes any more because the back and forth between the 2A supporters and the RT anti-gun minions is the funniest part. I found a quote from one of the biggest gun haters after she quoted a bunch of nonsense numbers, that I found particularly funny.

http://blogs.roanoke.com/rtblogs/dancasey/2010/01/20/death-by-concealed-carry-125-and-counting-since-2007/#comment-20711
Dan Casey breaks the law, seeks mercy:

A morning in the traffic-court melting pot

I was guilty, no question about it.

On Nov. 18, at 9:10 a.m., Roanoke County police officer E. J. Chidester caught me driving 46 mph on a stretch of Grandin Road Extended where the posted speed limit is 25.

Not only that, I wasn’t wearing a seat belt.

So last week I went to pay those tickets in the clerk’s office at the Roanoke County Courthouse in Salem and got some ticket-sticker shock.

Do you know what it costs to have a lead foot these days?

The speeding citation was $166! And 6 points on my license, the clerk told me. The seat belt violation added another $25.

So I thought I'd go to court Wednesday and see if the judge would have a little mercy.

I wasn't the only one.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Repeater wrote:
buster81 wrote:

Dan Casey breaks the law, seeks mercy:

A morning in the traffic-court melting pot

I was guilty, no question about it.

On Nov. 18, at 9:10 a.m., Roanoke County police officer E. J. Chidester caught me driving 46 mph on a stretch of Grandin Road Extended where the posted speed limit is 25.

Not only that, I wasn’t wearing a seat belt.

So last week I went to pay those tickets in the clerk’s office at the Roanoke County Courthouse in Salem and got some ticket-sticker shock.

Do you know what it costs to have a lead foot these days?

The speeding citation was $166! And 6 points on my license, the clerk told me. The seat belt violation added another $25.

So I thought I'd go to court Wednesday and see if the judge would have a little mercy.

I wasn't the only one.
Poor Dan Casey hopefully will be in for another shock - Traffic judges frequently charge the max + higher costs. Normally you save a little money by paying it early.

Guess Dan doesn't think his time is worth much - course neither do I. :D

Yata hey

PT111

imported post

kennys wrote:
wylde007 wrote:
kennys wrote:
It is much easier for people in power to retain and control of those of less experiance or knowledge. I believe this is why things are going the way they are.
You may not actually realize how accurate with that statement. Some groups (will not call names but often gets confused with NCAA) are very good a keeping their followers in the dark. During the dark ages it was the church that practiced that exact process and later during slavery in the US. Don't worry about the government doing it as there are too many factions performing that function for them.