• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shoreline schools were on lockdown for reports of man with a gun

utbagpiper

Banned
Heller is the start all right. The start down the road of leaving the right to bear arms to restrictions, negating it as a right.

Things could certainly go that way.

But if we look across other areas of jurisprudence we see that a limited, narrow ruling is a common foundation on which future progress is made. Lawrence didn't eliminate federal DOMA nor force States to grant full marriage benefits to homosexual couples. But it sure set things up nicely for Windsor overturning DOMA and that has now been used by several federal district court to force States to grant marriage benefits with only one district upholding State limits on marriage as one man and one woman.

Heller did not apply to the States. But McDonald extended it. Heller did not recognize a right to carry outside the home, but the 7th circuit used the reasoning in Heller and McDonald to determine that such a right is part of the 2nd amendment. And so on.

Heller is an excellent decision. That it was 5-4 is the terrifying part. Indeed, that slim 5-5 majority may indicate why it was as narrow as it was.

I, for one, will happily take winning a little, over losing a lot any day.

Charles

utbagpiper

Banned
An exellent decision is one where they don't leave the state and themselves wiggle room to "interpret" the constitution.

And a crappy decision is where they flat out get it wrong.

We got a solid ruling that the 2nd amendment is an individual right not connected to militia service. EXCELLENT.

We got told that like all other rights, the 2nd amendment is not without limits. Not unexpected. Every right has been treated exactly the same way over the last 200+ years.

DC got ordered to change their permit process for ownership to shall issue. Small step in right direction.

On top of Heller we now have McDonald and a district court ruling that individual RKBA does extend to public spaces.

It is as good a decision as we could have hoped for, and gives us plenty of room to continue going in the right direction. It was not perfect. We still have some work to do. It was good to excellent.

I'll leave you to quibble over qualitative wording as you see fit.

Charles

mikeyb

Heller is an average decision. That it was 5-4 is the terrifying part. Indeed, that slim 5-5 majority may indicate why it was as narrow as it was.

ftfy

This commentary was not needed:
2. Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose: For example, concealed weapons prohibitions have been upheld under the Amendment or state analogues. The Court’s opinion should not be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms. Miller’s holding that the sorts of weapons protected are those “in common use at the time” finds support in the historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of dangerous and unusual weapons. Pp. 54–56.

And

Assuming he is not disqualified from exercising Second Amendment rights, the District must permit Heller to register his handgun and must issue him a license to carry it in the home

1245A Defender

Wowwie!!!

Some guys would complain if they were hung with a new rope.

Well duh! They are still getting hung!

Nice catch Rob!!!
It is not the age of the rope that would make a guy complain!

Hanged.
http://grammarist.com/usage/hanged-hung/

Being hung by the chimney with care is not the same as hanged by the chimney, should you care :)

I wasnt going to reiterate Robs post,,, until you got all grammar Nazi about some indifferent difference
between the two words in the posts that didnt matter.

Not to the guy that was hung/hanged with the rope that was new/old!!!! Cause he is DEAD!!!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Nice catch Rob!!!

I wasnt going to reiterate Robs post,,, until you got all grammar Nazi about some indifferent difference

Not to the guy that was hung/hanged with the rope that was new/old!!!! Cause he is DEAD!!!
Grammer Nazi - really? IMO it is a worthwhile attempt to use the language correctly - especially on a public forum where that is where and how others will see us.

I did lighten the message with an appropriate emoticon.

twoskinsonemanns

Nice catch Rob!!!

the same word being used incorrectly twice in a row? Doesn't seem to be grammar nazi to correct it. It's not like he's picking posts apart.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Grammer Nazi - really? IMO it is a worthwhile attempt to use the language correctly - especially on a public forum where that is where and how others will see us.

I did lighten the message with an appropriate emoticon.

OK.... so ,, not a grammar Nazi.... or are you??:rolleyes:

I should have used some emoticons too,,, or should I...:p

I try to avoid Writing anything on this forum, unless I think it is serious.
Maybe I am just getting too Serious!:D

OTOH,,, whats with this idea of using the language correctly???
It is a mess!! I never learned it in school, I cant spell,,, I dont punctuate Rightly,,, I dont want too!!

But, really, did you reference to the difference between hung or hanged
help Robs Point of old verses new rope?
add to the discourse.

Really, Rob/SVG blew a Gigantic hole in Utahbagpippers twin edged
accusation about the age of rope and the"" hunging"" it was used for!!:D

sudden valley gunner

Hanged.
http://grammarist.com/usage/hanged-hung/

Being hung by the chimney with care is not the same as hanged by the chimney, should you care :)

Thank you for the correction. I feel I am tremendously better than when I first posted and it has been because of good constructive criticisms. After all I am just a lowly carpenter with very little schooling.

sudden valley gunner

Nice catch Rob!!!

Thanks brother.

Don't be too hard on Grape, I don't mind the corrections especially since he kept the post it was replied to and wasn't using grammar as a tool to win an argument.

Dave_pro2a

School 'lock downs' (like TSA checkpoints and a myriad of other encroachments on liberty) could be seen as simply a tool to train compliance and dependance into our youth.

Oh, that's what public school itself is... Well then, a continuation or escalation of the effort.