• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shots Fired at National Holocaust Museum in D.C.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

He was 88 years old. Senility + insanity.... not something that will combine to produce the right decisions about anything... including choice of weapons or tactical applications. I figure he attempted suicide by cop and it didn't happen as he possibly envisioned it would. Who knows what he envisioned in his deranged state of mind. The man had been warped for a long time. Crazy people do crazy things.

autosurgeon

imported post

Most fruitcakes while they may be very articulate and seem intelligent will make foolish errors. His was a tactical error thank goodness. Although it is possible that due to him being a felon the only gun he was able to get his hands on at short notice was the .22 rifle...

As was also mentioned at 88 dementia could have played a part in what he did.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Points taken in advance, but 'on short notice?' You're telling me an 88 year-old racist hasn't owned a gun before? Clearly, hating Jews isn't something he just suddenly started to do. No handgun, no AK-47? I'm sure he had racist pals who would gladly sell/lend him anything he wanted so long as it eliminated a few Jews, no? It just seems odd to me that he hadn't already owned many a firearm more capable. The Black Market doesn't do background checks. The idea that he was somehow unable to obtain something 'better' is laughable. The "he was senile and old" argument just doesn't add up for me. You may as well argue for an upper age limit on gun ownership...

All points that may be considered, but I still think there's something more to it. The man just wasn't that illogical. Just hateful.

I think the more probable explanation is that he was 88, already lived his life, and decided to go out with a bang doing something he dreamed of for a long time. But the choice of weapon and tactic still doesn't add up. There's something missing.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ixtow wrote:
Points taken in advance, but 'on short notice?' You're telling me an 88 year-old racist hasn't owned a gun before? Clearly, hating Jews isn't something he just suddenly started to do. No handgun, no AK-47? I'm sure he had racist pals who would gladly sell/lend him anything he wanted so long as it eliminated a few Jews, no? It just seems odd to me that he hadn't already owned many a firearm more capable. The Black Market doesn't do background checks. The idea that he was somehow unable to obtain something 'better' is laughable. The "he was senile and old" argument just doesn't add up for me. You may as well argue for an upper age limit on gun ownership...

All points that may be considered, but I still think there's something more to it. The man just wasn't that illogical. Just hateful.

I think the more probable explanation is that he was 88, already lived his life, and decided to go out with a bang doing something he dreamed of for a long time. But the choice of weapon and tactic still doesn't add up. There's something missing.

I was thinking it was a suicide mission.

You don't mass-murder with a .22. You don't engage armed security with a .22.

While dementia, insanity, etc. can certainly be part of the picture, I'm thinkinghe didn't intend to survive the attack. Sort of a suicide-by-cop.

I wonder if we'll also find a recent medical diagnosis for something terminal. Or the end of his money, about to lose the house, that sort of thing.

N00blet45

imported post

Maybe he just didn't know ballistics like one would assume? Perhaps he was too frail to handle the recoil of an AK? And to be fair the .22 killed at least one person.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

N00blet45 wrote:
Maybe he just didn't know ballistics like one would assume? Perhaps he was too frail to handle the recoil of an AK? And to be fair the .22 killed at least one person.
You got a point there.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'm inclined to believe the 'end of the rope' scenario. But I doubt desperation or blame/revenge is the motive. More of a 'last hurrah' type of thing. He's 88, I can see him rationalizing that he's already lived his life, so what the hey? At worst, what can be taken from him? What's to prevent ANY old person from doing that? Hating Jews really isn't a contributing factor to the act, it merely dictated the target he chose.

And if you have no intention of 'coming home,' is recoil a factor? I find it hard to imagine a person who can't handle the recoil of an AK-47. It's pretty wimpy.

N00blet45

imported post

Well it's also pretty wimpy to attempt to gun down unarmed people. Him running into armed security probably wasn't expected. I doubt the guy had ever been to a holocaust museum before.

Perhaps he grabbed the wrong gun, or maybe he thought any gun would do the trick? He was probably suicidal and figured a .22 would get the cops to shoot at you just as well as a .50. Or maybe the .22 was the scariest looking gun he had?

Alexcabbie

imported post

Whatever his motives, the Washington Post is playing it thusly, maybe because they are smart enough to know they ccould be accused of using the tragedy for political purposes, they don't say anything connected with "common sense gun control" in their editorials (yet) but rather print letters to the editor and (today) a statement from some lib/anti churchlady; and these all have the same tone: "We will never get rid of haters, but we CAN impede their access to deadly firearms".

Well, Moslem extremists have no monopoly on nutty suicide attackers, and IMO that's pretty much what VonBrunn was. As several people have mentioned elsewhere, and I have noted; explosives can be very easily made with common and impossible to regulate materials, and some very nasty bombs can be constructed. Von Brunn, had he not been able to get his mitts on a firearm, might very well have decided to make some black powder or fertilizer explosive, wired himself as a human Claymore, and gotten as far in as possible by inking and aging a "tattooed number" on his forearm then detonated himself. Quite possibly the last thing anyone would have thought woul have been "oh that poor old Holocaust sur...BLAM!"

The antis who are and are gonna try to milk this thing cant see all this though, because; as I and others have said they are not really interested in anyone's safety. All they can see is the gun, which should in their opinion be outlawed so we can all learn to love each other. What bosh. And also, how irresponsible.

N00blet45

imported post

He could also use a truck to run people over or he could have made a few molotov cocktails and tossed them into the building. There are a number of things he could have done besides shooting that would have still inflicted casualties.