• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shots fired by two drunk idiots with CPLs...

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PT111 wrote:
compmanio365 wrote:
Our justice system is supposed to punish ACTIONS that HARM others, not arbitrary numbers that you have happened to cross.  A society where you constantly have to measure everything to make sure you are in compliance with arbitrary regulations is not a free society.  A society where you are free to do as you will, so long as you cause no harm to others, IS.
Shouldn't our justice system also protect our citizens from being harmed?  If we only punish actions that harm others then there would be no need for such laws as attempted murder or assault.  If you were to shoot at someone and miss then that would be OK, only if you hit them would there be a problem.
Not true. Attempted murder (and assault) is an act of aggression, an act of violence, and thus inherently "harmful".

And that's forgetting emotinal distress such an act causes.

Edit: Sorry, two posts in a row. HankT, see the last post on the previos page.

compmanio365

imported post

Our justice system can't "protect" anyone, being a purely reactionary device. The only thing that can protect you is you. Usually by being armed and willing to defend yourself. This is the flaw in many people's thinking nowadays. Thinking that government should protect the people. The government can't protect the people, and usually ends up overstepping their bounds in the attempt to do so. Hence our current state of affairs regarding governmental use of power.

grishnav

imported post

PT111 wrote:
compmanio365 wrote:
Our justice system is supposed to punish ACTIONS that HARM others, not arbitrary numbers that you have happened to cross. A society where you constantly have to measure everything to make sure you are in compliance with arbitrary regulations is not a free society. A society where you are free to do as you will, so long as you cause no harm to others, IS.
Shouldn't our justice system also protect our citizens from being harmed?

Hi there. I'm the mayor of Silly Idea Land. I think your idea is great, and I've taken it to heart!

Tomorrow morning:

Bacon, eggs, cheese, McDonalds, and red meat are banned.
Fish are banned (might contain mercury)
Heat and things that get hot are banned (might burn yourself or get burned by someone else)
Cold and things that get cold are banned (might burn yourself)
Pointy things and sharp objects are banned. No knives, scissors, or fingernails.
Screw it... Since most metal is pointy or sharp, and can easily be fashioned into something pointy and sharp... metal is banned.
Wood too. How splintery. The fire department will be coming through town making sure that all wood structures are turned into Safe Ash. (The fire department being the only people with hot things, since government agents can be trusted with things too dangerous for the ordinary citizen, like firearms... Incidentally...)
No guns! They hurt too many people.
Oh, and criminals are banned. They hurt people too.
Cars, trucks, SUVs... all automobiles, poof.
And bicycles too.
And cameras..

And... oh, hell. You should get the point by now.

If we only punish actions that harm others then there would be no need for such laws as attempted murder or assault.

In both of those cases, there is still a victim who's been harmed. And intent to do same.

If you were to shoot at someone and miss then that would be OK, only if you hit them would there be a problem.
You're absolutely right. I'm sending by the police to arrest this guy tomorrow for so blatantly and clearly attempting to murder his friends. 'tis only by the grace of non-denominational god that they survived the savage attack.

I'm sure you will really enjoy living in my society.

Sincerely,

Mr. Knuckles, Mayor and Chief Safety Inspector.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Our justice system can't "protect" anyone, being a purely reactionary device.  The only thing that can protect you is you.  Usually by being armed and willing to defend  yourself.  This is the flaw in many people's thinking nowadays.  Thinking that government should protect the people.  The government can't protect the people, and usually ends up overstepping their bounds in the attempt to do so.  Hence our current state of affairs regarding governmental use of power.
Quite right.

holepoker

imported post

If you are not responsible enough to carry at any BAC, you should not carry with zero BAC. We carry to protect ourself and others, correct? Just because someone is drunk, doesn't mean threats just go away.

compmanio365

imported post

holepoker wrote:
If you are not responsible enough to carry at any BAC, you should not carry with zero BAC. We carry to protect ourself and others, correct? Just because someone is drunk, doesn't mean threats just go away.
+1000, my thoughts exactly. If it's a good shoot, it's a good shoot. If it's a bad shoot, then treat it as such. Drugs or alcohol shouldn't factor into it.

Let me throw this out there, just to put another thought on the table for discussion. How many people reading this thread are on medication, of any kind? Why is it OK to carry while on medication, many of which ARE mind altering to at least some degree, but not while you have any kind of alcohol in your system? A drug is a drug is a drug.

My personal thought is that kind of thinking is somewhat hypocritical, even if people don't realize they think that way. Discuss (civilly, please).

PT111

imported post

marshaul wrote:
PT111 wrote:
compmanio365 wrote:
Our justice system is supposed to punish ACTIONS that HARM others, not arbitrary numbers that you have happened to cross. A society where you constantly have to measure everything to make sure you are in compliance with arbitrary regulations is not a free society. A society where you are free to do as you will, so long as you cause no harm to others, IS.
Shouldn't our justice system also protect our citizens from being harmed? If we only punish actions that harm others then there would be no need for such laws as attempted murder or assault. If you were to shoot at someone and miss then that would be OK, only if you hit them would there be a problem.
Not true. Attempted murder (and assault) is an act of aggression, an act of violence, and thus inherently "harmful".

And that's forgetting emotinal distress such an act causes.

Edit: Sorry, two posts in a row. HankT, see the last post on the previos page.
You say forgetting the emtional distress of attempted murder, thenwhat harm is there. Your wife hires someoneto kill you,they fire a shot in your direction but miss. You see who fired shotcall the police and have them arrested. What harm other than emotional have they caused? If we leave out emotional harm then they should be free to try again.

compmanio365

imported post

You are taking a direct display of violence against another person, an actual attempt to harm/kill another, and trying to equate it to an action that could harm another if a person is not responsible with it. One side you have intent, the other you do not. The two do not relate to each other in the slightest.

Tawnos

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Let me throw this out there, just to put another thought on the table for discussion. How many people reading this thread are on medication, of any kind? Why is it OK to carry while on medication, many of which ARE mind altering to at least some degree, but not while you have any kind of alcohol in your system? A drug is a drug is a drug.
I'moncaffeineyesIamisn'titgreat?! Ilovetohavethreecupsofcoffeeinthemorningtostartmydaythenacoupledietsodas. Workgivesusfreesodaandcoffeesoit'sobviouslyokay. Isitjustmeoristheworldshakingabitnothat'sjustmylegnevermindIthinkIneedtopeenowohgeezI'mtiredzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

While I happen to agree with what you're saying, I think the law tries (well, used to try, pre MADD) to draw a line between reasonably prudent and unsafe/harmful behavior. In the case of vehicles, this used to be .1-.12 BAC, which is around the point reactions become slow enough that operating high speed machinery is dangerous. I'd say about the same (maybe even .15) is a good limit for in public and armed.

We talk about harm or attempted harm being the basis for punishment, but there are other important considerations. Negligence and gross negligence don't require a person acts with the intention of being harmful, simply that they blatantly disregard the safety of others in how they act, putting them at extreme peril for life and limb. While firing randomly into the air, driving smashed while swerving around the road, or carrying a firearm while too drunk to walk straight might not harm anyone, and even if you have no intent on harming anyone while doing so, they are still acts that have a distinct chance of causing harm. When evaluated to a "reasonable person" standard, undertaking such actions is tantamount to assault on every person you encounter or could reasonably affect while doing such.

What I would prefer, here in WA, is that the law established a line as such... Taking HankT's offer of .15BAC, if a person is walking home from a restaurant, gets mugged, and shoots the attacker and is found to have a BAC of .18, no charges should be filed against them, as there is no evidence that their BAC was an issue in the self defense. However, say that same person is walking home, and sees someone who owed them money. They approach, get into a fight, et cetera, and end up shooting the other person. In this case, the BAC of .18 would be strong evidence that the person was acting negligently in their carrying of firearms. In a similar fashion, if a person is making a ton of noise, stumbling around, et cetera (Drunk in public/disturbing the peace) and a cop pulls them over, finding they are .18 and carrying, those actions coupled with their BAC indicate a level of negligence.

Flipping to the other side, say the person is below the limit (.12) and ends up in the second scenario (person owes them money, they approach, fight starts, shoot). In this case, the BAC should still be considered as a contributing factor, but should not on its own stand up as evidence without additional evidence support (e.g. previous incidences involving low quantities of alcohol) that alcohol played a large part. The punishment should, in my opinion, be lower (no alcohol rider) as the person was below the legal "likely unsafe" limit.

Law often comes down to probability of harm. While I don't see a problem for someone who is walking home to have a drink or three with dinner (depending on the person's size, obviously - this is based on my size, where to even reach .08 requires consuming 6 servings of alcohol within an hour); I don't think a person who spends the night drinking at a club then heads home should be carrying. At that point, the probability of doing something dumb (this thread's OP) increases beyond what is probabilistically safe. That person's friend, though, should be able to come with them armed and serve as protection. That friend may have a drink or two, but they must stay within a reasonable boundary and keep their wits about them.

PT111

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
You are taking a direct display of violence against another person, an actual attempt to harm/kill another, and trying to equate it to an action that could harm another if a person is not responsible with it. One side you have intent, the other you do not. The two do not relate to each other in the slightest.

So you mean that we only punish those that intend to harm someone?

The original quote was:
Our justice system is supposed to punish ACTIONS that HARM others,

I am completely confused now. Do you mean that we only punish those actions:

1. That harm someone and intended to harm them

2. Actually harmed them but whether intended to or not

3. Did not harm them but intended to

FunkTrooper

imported post

1. If you harm someone and you did not intend to do so, that is either an accident or a result of negligence which may or may not result in charges or a civil suit.

2. If you intend on harming someone but did not (by way of a missed bullet) than that falls under attempted murder or what not.

3. Intending to harm and actually harming them (in this case lets say killing them) then that falls under murder.

All three are different and are punished differently. The law can/should only punish you for a crime you committed, hence the man with the CPL violation was charged with the violation and the man who discharged the gun while not charged yet could be charged with discharge of a firearm. Could be worse but only time will tell.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tawnos wrote:
What I would prefer, here in WA, is that the law established a line as such... Taking HankT's offer of .15BAC, if a person is walking home from a restaurant, gets mugged, and shoots the attacker and is found to have a BAC of .18, no charges should be filed against them, as there is no evidence that their BAC was an issue in the self defense. However, say that same person is walking home, and sees someone who owed them money. They approach, get into a fight, et cetera, and end up shooting the other person. In this case, the BAC of .18 would be strong evidence that the person was acting negligently in their carrying of firearms. In a similar fashion, if a person is making a ton of noise, stumbling around, et cetera (Drunk in public/disturbing the peace) and a cop pulls them over, finding they are .18 and carrying, those actions coupled with their BAC indicate a level of negligence.
This is reasonable. I have nothing against BAC being used as evidence to prove reckless endangerment, or example, where such exists. My problem lies with the BAC being a crime in an of itself.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PT111 wrote:
compmanio365 wrote:
You are taking a direct display of violence against another person, an actual attempt to harm/kill another, and trying to equate it to an action that could harm another if a person is not responsible with it.  One side you have intent, the other you do not.  The two do not relate to each other in the slightest.

So you mean that we only punish those that intend to harm someone?

The original quote was:
Our justice system is supposed to punish ACTIONS that HARM others,

I am completely confused now.  Do you mean that we only punish those actions:

1. That harm someone and intended to harm them

2. Actually harmed them but whether intended to or not

3. Did not harm them but intended to
You seem to think harm is limited to specific criminal injury. I view an act which, committed with the intent to commit hard, and possessing the ability to commit harm, as inherently harmful. This seems like a reasonable extension of the philosophy of nonaggression.

Or, to be more precise, the law isn't actually concerned with "harm" per se, but rather with the initiation of force and the degree of that force. Attempted murder is certainly an initiation of force.

Incidentally, I must say I don't understand the need to conflate aggressive acts with accidents, whatever the relative potential for harm.