• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Should blind people be able to carry concealed firearms?

PFC Helms

imported post

OkI saw this and decided that my 2 cents would be appreciated here. I am Legally blind and have taken a lot of crap over it. I may not have the best vision in the would butI am able to distinguish between a good and bad tactical situation. (i.e. a situation where it would be acceptable to draw and fire and when not to). my visual acuity is 20/200 but still qualified sharpshooterduring BCT @ Ft. Knox, KY. I feel that it is not only my right to carry, but is my responsibility defend against my life, limb, or personal property. I may not be able to see in as great detail as the majority of people, butI can tell an active threat to myself or others, and IFF in an urban situation. As someone who has a visual disadvantageI believe thatI have more situational awareness than someone because I stand out more in the gen pop. I am new to the whole OC and thats allI can do at this point in my life because Ian too young to obtain my CCDW. The wayI look at it is ifI am going to stand and defend my country thenI am going to definately defend myself. I was shocked with the majority of the people in this forum who agrees that it is the right of anyone with a visual disability to still carry, but also they have to have common sense and be responsible for their actions just as any sighted person is. I got to this a couple of days late butI hopeI get some responses on whateveryone else'sopinions on this is.

Helms, Thomas S

PFC

149th Brigade Combat Team

U.S. Army

P.S. BCT = Basic Combat Training, IFF = Identify Friend or Foe

almost forgot for those who dont know sharpshooter qualification is hitting 30-36 targets out of 40 at distances from 50-300yds with M4A3 with ironsights

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Welcome to OCDO, Tom! It's very nice to get the opinion and thoughtsfrom someone who is actually dealing with being blind and still wants their 2nd amendment right.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Welcome Tom Helms and thank you for using your name. I get so tired of Anony Mouse prating "eXtreme no fear."

Maybe we should have a forum rule that requires every member to use their real name as their user ID here. Some people already do that so if everyone did it, it would be consistent, wouldn't it?

Would that ease your tiredness, Doug?
scratchchin.gif

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

dngreer wrote:
CA_Libertarian wrote:
LoveMyCountry wrote:
*Bonus points for anyone who can guess how we met.
Blind date?

*dngreer wipes up Coca Cola he just spewed out off his nose and mouth all over the computer monitor and keyboard from laughing so hard at that stupid cheap shot...*

Hilarious; well, as long as LoveMyCountry isn't offended.
Offended? Heck no, he's correct! Got me a blind wife from a blind date. :lol:

For some reason people alwasy seem to say "Oh she's blind. No wonder she married you." ;)

LoveMyCountry

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Does the wife comment on here at all? It would be interesting to hear her thoughts on the topic.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

dngreer wrote:
Does the wife comment on here at all? It would be interesting to hear her thoughts on the topic.
We're in north Idaho, we don't let our women talk.

:lol: Just kidding. I'll ask her and see what she wants to do.

LoveMyCountry