• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Should released felons be banned from owning guns?

Should released felons be barred from owning guns?

• Yes

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • No

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • I have no opinion on this topic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's a natural right once released you should have all your rights recongized.

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • They should not have any rights at all once convicted.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rscottie

I voted "No" because if they cannot be trusted with a gun, they should not be released.

If they complete their probation without getting in to trouble, their rights should be restored, all of them.

Otherwise, don't let them out.

Rusty Young Man

If someone is dangerous with a gun, they are dangerous without it.

In any case, it would be the person, not the tool, that constitutes a threat.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Well, resurrections certainly are an appropriate part of the season, even if they are not germane to the discussion.

(insert chain yanking smiley here)

stay safe.

utbagpiper

Banned
My position is simple:

Any man who can walk the streets unsupervised must have his rights respected...ALL of them including RKBA.

If a man has been duly convicted or committed and cannot (yet) be trusted to exercise all of his rights, he shouldn't be released to walk the streets unsupervised.

I am supportive of a modest period of supervised parole when someone is released from prison, or supervised probation in lieu of incarceration. Some restrictions on RKBA or other rights may be appropriate during these periods so long as they are not so long as to become de facto lifetime or long term bans on the exercise of rights. I should think that fundamental rights like RKBA should not be impaired for longer than one year under such terms.

Charles

Logan 5

Well, once a crime is committed, make sure the person does the time and pays restitution. Once they're out, give them their guns back. If the person is enough of a threat to not have the RKBA returned, then they should not be out on the streets to begin with. If they want a weapon they will find a weapon. Simple.

Let us pretend that your wife is raped and the man is caught & prosecuted. He serves for however long he was sentenced, and is released. What then? Well, give him his guns back. Is he more of a threat to her armed or unarmed? Hell, cover your bases instead- get her a gun and teach her to use it. Arming felons only makes it more important for others to be armed. If they don't feel comfortable OC'ing, then CC. If they still feel uncomfortable with it, then I suppose the criminal won't know...right?

Listen, all of these stupid gun control laws are based on lies and BS. HOLLYWOOD BS, BTW. So do we want people in office that believe Hollywood and pass gun laws so America won't be like the "Old West"? Yes the old west was an "eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth" culture. You slander me and I might punch you or I might sue you. Or as was done a few times, show what the truth is, and the slanderers credibility just got shot. But if you shoot my horse, I'll shoot you! Kill my dog, and I'm a coming for you! Pick off my mother-in-law and you're the man of the year! (had add that one for ya Since9...just had to!) But it was more of a respectful society than what we have now. And they didn't hold back on hanging someone that needed it. IIRC there was a prosecutor or two that also got strung up for wrongfully prosecuting people (I do not recall the case info on that).

But the old west was nothing like Hollywood depicts. An armed society IS a polite society. Proven fact. I have nothing to reference to, but there are sociology studies on this as well as a few psychology papers too. Yes it was rough and tumble. Yes there was violence. Did you know they had school shootings back then as well? Not just students going off the deep end, either. One instance a handful of drunk cowboys went across Kansas (and I think Missouri) forcing school marms to get drunk. I forget the details on that. Or the indians in the NY area in the 1700s that slaughtered a teacher and his pupils. Come on, the violence is there. It will always be there.

We need to let people have all of their rights back when they get out. How can America profess to be a Land of the "Free Home of the Brave" when we strip people of their rights? Like I said, they did the crime, they did their time. Let it go. If that man that raped your wife comes back, kill him. He had his chance to change.

mikeyb

Most debts have interest on them.

Violent offenders need stricter punishments. Violent repeat offenders need to be dealt with harshly.

The Madoffs of the world need to pay restitution.

When the debt + interest is satisfied, then rights are restored.

solus

here is a prime example...during an armed home invasion, access to the firearm prob saved his life. but as LE was picking up the wounded invaders, they were hauling the shooter off to jail cuz he is a convicted felon.

noticed w/interest WRAL posted a bigger foto of the shooter than the armed home invaders in their article...geez

http://www.wral.com/homeowner-shoots-intruder-in-fayetteville-break-in/14514875/

ipse

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

It is a shame that Williams didn't know, or guessing he didn't know, that he could have legally kept a cap and ball revolver. Then the state would not been able to charge him, or if they did it would not hold up.