• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

show CHP as ID to vote this year?

polarbeargarden

Ok, so from someone who's served as an officer of election for every election since the 2008 November general, you are absolutely allowed to carry a firearm into the polling place so long as the polling place does not happen to be a location in which you would normally not be allowed to carry a firearm (school, government building, etc.) This has been confirmed several times at training sessions by people who seem incredulous at that fact. If you are told you are not allowed to carry it in the polling place solely because it is a polling place, call the registrar for your area and discuss it with them. They will inform the workers in your precinct of the legality of carrying.

EDIT: I've seen some posters saying there have been signs at their polling places. I'll mention that we have never been issued these signs, and have never been advised that carrying a firearm is in any way unacceptable.

Last edited:

sccrref

I voted early as I will be out of town on business. Voted at the government building in Virginia Beach. Open carried, used my CHP as identification and all without any problems. It was refreshing as my normal polling place is an elementary school. I hate to give up exercising a constitutional right to perform a civic duty. Even if it is just for a short time, it still bothers me.

Last edited:

va_tazdad

Ok, so from someone who's served as an officer of election for every election since the 2008 November general, you are absolutely allowed to carry a firearm into the polling place so long as the polling place does not happen to be a location in which you would normally not be allowed to carry a firearm (school, government building, etc.) This has been confirmed several times at training sessions by people who seem incredulous at that fact. If you are told you are not allowed to carry it in the polling place solely because it is a polling place, call the registrar for your area and discuss it with them. They will inform the workers in your precinct of the legality of carrying.

EDIT: I've seen some posters saying there have been signs at their polling places. I'll mention that we have never been issued these signs, and have never been advised that carrying a firearm is in any way unacceptable.

Already did that and he advised me I could cc but not open carry. Chesterfield registrar says the SBE is backing his recommendation to disallow open carry except for those special LEO folks.

I also called the SBE and they agreed with my registrar.

1911 Enthusiast

Already did that and he advised me I could cc but not open carry. Chesterfield registrar says the SBE is backing his recommendation to disallow open carry except for those special LEO folks.

I also called the SBE and they agreed with my registrar.

Exactly why I wrote in another thread that the VCDL opinion is just a lawyer's interpretation which won't hold any water on voting day at the local level if SBE has put out guidance to the contrary. In fact, VCDL seems to be cold mic on the question of late. The news alerts have devoted plenty of space to reprinting nice-to-know stories but published nothing clarifying exactly what the Commonwealth stand is on CC and OC carry at the polling places (outside GFZs). Maybe someone at the Annandale meeting on the 8th can query Phil on the latest thinking.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Exactly why I wrote in another thread that the VCDL opinion is just a lawyer's interpretation which won't hold any water on voting day at the local level if SBE has put out guidance to the contrary. In fact, VCDL seems to be cold mic on the question of late. The news alerts have devoted plenty of space to reprinting nice-to-know stories but published nothing clarifying exactly what the Commonwealth stand is on CC and OC carry at the polling places (outside GFZs). Maybe someone at the Annandale meeting on the 8th can query Phil on the latest thinking.

That's an opinion that shouldn't have been expressed IMO. It may be correct....but unless someone wants to spend a couple of thousand dollars defending themselves against a trespassing or disruption charge or not vote, I'd recommend against paying any attention to it in places like Chesterfield.

t11spanner

Used mine at Holmes Middle School.

Nice lady (Mid 70's) had no clue what CHP was or whether it was allowed.

I picked up the piece of paper with all of the ID requirements on it in front of her laptop, and showed her. She was EMBARRASSED!

I told her it was okay, I would be willing to bet that the boss' ignored it and I told her she learned something at school today!

Carl

Last edited:

HardChrome

I used mine yesterday in Newport News and the guy never gave it a second thought. I did notice that a guy in line was told he could not use his cell phone. Hmmm. I'm wondering how legal that is.