• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Skidmark speaks out. Exclusive interview.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
IANAL, but I believe most of the "expectation of privacy" provisions have come from court cases. If that is the case, then it's kind of hard to track down the actual current state of the law.

There are plenty of "well duh" examples one can think of to show why this is fairly important, otherwise you'd have a law similar to the GFSZA, which makes almost literally every non-permitted gun carrier a felon.

An easy one: mom video taping kids birthday party at McDonalds... happens to catch a conversation of a nearby party not participating. FELON for life!!

Do you think that is good law?

TFred

P.S. Embedded links and a little spacing and indenting go a long way toward readability! :)

You're right Tfred.

This law was tested when Doug Wilder's cell phone conversations were recorded.

Going from memory it was determined that listening to calls like cellphone or landline was OK but could not be repeated but non electronic communication in public was OK and could be repeated.

I don't have the cases handy though.

The states that are now charging people under their wiretap laws for videoing police, are now finding the courts reluctant to go along with it.

Another easy one. The evening news getting a police officer verbally abusing a jaywalker.

Last edited:

FreeRoy

Wiretapping law

Do you think that is good law?

P.S. Embedded links and a little spacing and indenting go a long way toward readability! :)

Nope, to the first question -- though I will say that it one heluva lot better than the legislation originally proposed.

Second issue has been addressed through a private message, but I will say here that you're absolutely right.