• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sneak Government

range rat

In a major victory for the Second Amendment, a group called the Gun Owners of America has just defeated a gun control provision that was hidden deep within the pages of the latest military funding bill.
Because you see, anti-gun politicians (as per usual) attempted to sneak some secret legislation into this year’s military spending bill. Specifically, they were trying to sneak in a permanent reauthorization of the Undetectable Firearms Act.
And I really do mean “sneak in.”
Because if you go through the bill, you’ll find that hidden between the part about veterans’ housing budget, and a plan to rebuild a hospital over in Puerto Rico, there is a small single paragraph that reads:

“Section 2(f) of the Undetectable Firearms Act of 1988 is amended— (1) by striking ‘‘EFFECTIVE DATE AND SUNSET PROVISION’’ and all that follows through ‘‘This Act and the amendments’’ and inserting the following: ‘‘EFFECTIVE DATE.—This Act and the amendments’’; and (2) by striking paragraph (2).”
Now, in and of itself, that paragraph looks just like harmless legal jargon on a page. However, in reality, this was actually a serious limit to the Second Amendment (especially in the age of 3D printing).

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Even if it remained in the bill it would not have had any legal effect. Section(p) expired November 11, 2023. You cannot amend a section of law that had already expired. In other words, there was no section (p) to amend. The appropriation bill passed Dec, 14, 2023.

range rat

Even if it remained in the bill it would not have had any legal effect. Section(p) expired November 11, 2023. You cannot amend a section of law that had already expired. In other words, there was no section (p) to amend. The appropriation bill passed Dec, 14, 2023.
This is a new one to me. It just does not feel right..

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
This is a new one to me. It just does not feel right..
Congress pulls this crap all the time. Read the link below and you will understand.