• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So I live in a anti 2nd ammend. apt....

elixin77

Update:

I have just signed a lease at the Reedy Branch apartments, and the landlord is very pro-gun. I even edumacated him a bit when he asked if you need a permit to OC. I move in on the 15th of July, so I'm happy to be leaving this crap hole :banana::banana::banana:

Dreamer

I just found a Federal case from TX that was ruled on this year in support of empty holster protests on college campuses, saying that such demonstrations are PROTECTED under the 1A...

http://cbs11tv.com/local/Tarrant.County.College.2.1567232.html

The next OC Protest sponsored by SCCC is scheduled for April 2011. We now have precedent in Federal Court to support this action.

ECU administration can pound sand...

elixin77

Does a ruling in the Texas Supreme court hold weight in North Carolina? I've always thought that a state court decided stuff for that specific state, not necessarily the nation.

farkles

Elixin77,

Have no fear. I'll be exercising my 1st amendment rights with ANNOYING FREQUENCY and BRUTAL HONESTY this fall. I've currently got the letterpresses rolling on a fly-poster project with the theme of Free Speech.

And I'll be doing handouts and posters for the 2A as well.

Either I will be thrown out of school this semester, or we'll get things changed...

I've got the full support of an instructor for this project. I think I may be able to get him to sign on as a sponsor for a campus group of SCCC. I f I can, I'm going to volunteer for the "leadership" position.

And if I can't get a sponsor, or we can't get official recognition, then we'll just have a "rogue" group that meets off-campus, and passes out flyers across the street from school property during big events like football games.

Voice like Lion--Movement like Panther...

Think outside the box. Liberty-minded people need to study the tactics and operations of successful social change movements from recent history, and adopt some of their tactics. And I've been doing EXACTLY that all summer. I've been delving DEEP into all sorts of protest movements, studying propaganda, and delving into Public Relations.

I've got a University Library card and I'm not afraid to use it...:celebrate

Do not worry, dear friend. I have a plan... ;)

Dreamer,
I am the North Carolina Director for Students for Concealed Carry on Campus. Please do apply to be a campus leader for your college here http://concealedcampus.org/volunteer.php ....Kurt Mueler, our Regional Director will pass on your application to me. We lost a few campus directors this year and are trying to "re-up" our efforts across the state. Please also let others know to apply for leadership or simply to volunteer other time and efforts.

Please DO push the issue, especially since you have support from a faculty member. SCCC, GRNC, as well as FIRE will do all we can to help watch your back and support you in the mean time. Not sure how many of you are aware of FIRE and what they did to help defend a student that did get in trouble for forming SCCC chapter as well as hosting an empty holster protest. Watch here http://www.thefire.org/article/12009.html

elixin77

Update:

Finally moved into the apt. I'm at my old apt right now cleaning, and getting the last of my belongings into the new one. So glad im out of this place. I'm tired of other kids doing 30 through the parking lot (i've almost been clipped 3 or 4 times now), the rules they have, and just the general attitude of the place.

I'll be picking up Sasha (my 91/30) and my Marlin 60 later today from my friends house :banana:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
May be late to the party, but...

In many States, one cannot have their Constitutionally protected Rights contracted away from them. It doesn't matter what you sign, or what the Lease Agreement is. Does the Lease say that Rape is perfectly acceptable? That you have to be a Democrat? You get the idea. A civil Agreement, which is what a contract is, cannot eliminate your Rights in most cases/places.

I had a similar incident with a Shared apartment concept similar to yours about a year ago. I'm in a different state mind you, but their claim against me for the year lease was null by their inclusion of a 'no guns' clause. The entire lease was invalid. If you ever need to break a lease on short notice, look for stuff like that. ;-) They usually let you off without a fight, cuz you can tell every other tenant they have and they don't want a whole complex full of people realizing they can just up and leave whenever they want because of an over-reaching lease contract.

I'm not well versed in how NC handles it, but it should be looked into.

Phoenix David

When you need to hide it, place the handgun in ..

A- locked safe, you can get one that does not scream gun.
B- Flat rate shipping box from the USPS. Just tape it up when you leave. It's cheap and a federal offense to tamper with it. :cool:

And move ASAP.

Yeah it's not a federal offense until the custody has been transfered to the USPS.

elixin77

Yeah it's not a federal offense until the custody has been transfered to the USPS.

How is that not a federal offense? If they were to open a clearly closed, taped, and addressed box that has *not* been opened, that does *not* have their name on it, then it is a violation of federal law, because they are technically opening mail that is *not* theirs.

Phoenix David

How is that not a federal offense? If they were to open a clearly closed, taped, and addressed box that has *not* been opened, that does *not* have their name on it, then it is a violation of federal law, because they are technically opening mail that is *not* theirs.

18 USC 1702 - Sec. 1702. Obstruction of correspondence
Whoever takes any letter, postal card, or package out of any post office or any authorized depository for mail matter, or from any letter or mail carrier, or which has been in any post office or authorized depository, or in the custody of any letter or mail carrier, before it has been delivered to the person to whom it was directed, with design to obstruct the correspondence, or to pry into the business or secrets of another, or opens, secretes, embezzles, or destroys the same, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

kootsoup

I was reading this post and it made me think of the recent SCOTUS ruling.

IMHO, It is clear to me that the wording in the McD vs Chi ruling clearly provides that law abiding citizens have the unalienable right to protect ones home and person with firearms. Any "rules" or "regulations" that attempt to infringe on those rights are unenforceable. Especially when it comes to ones domicile. Even though it is "owned" by the landlord, most states provide that a renter has the same rights as a home owner. That is why it takes so much effort to evict someone and you have the right to deny access to anyone, including the landlord.

Of course, this would take lawyer fees and court dates to be ruled in ones favor and anyone renting an apartment wont have the cash to do it, effectively making it a right only for the "wealthy" but I wont get started on that :)