• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So my condo association took over 1 month ago....

jsanchez

So here is how it went down the other nite at the meeting.....

I got there early and the board was just setting up. The board likes me because they say when I speak at the meetings I bring alot of common sense, and bridge building. I talked to the board and they were unaware that the flier had been distributed and were very concerned about that. They had talked about park rules privately amongst themselves and were planning to intruduce the topic at the meeting, sort of to float the idea and get input from everybody. It seems that one of the younger members of the board got a little to energetic. He thought because the community watch commitee had put out a flier asking for input from residents about their safety needs and having the Sheriff dept. hold a meeting, that it was ok to circulate a flier on park rules. He is young, and some young people make mistakes. This gentlemans mistake was that he didn't get the boards approval for the flier, the way the community watch commitee had.

So we had a very large turn out. 40 to 50 people. The board president sensed that people were coming with a war mindset and shelved the whole park rule topic untill the next meeting maybe. He publically admonished the board member for his actions, and explained to the residents that park rules topic had just been an idea that they were in the beginning idea phase and that when they had it more spelled out, they would present it to the residents and have long discussions aka many meetings, before putting up for a vote.

I went out for drinks with the board president and some of the other board members and residents. The board president told me he owns a gun and alot of other people he knows own guns in the community. I feel he may have been just telling me what I wanted to here or he could be honest. We will see.

There seems to be a small group of anti gunners in the community but I don't know exactly who they are yet. I have a good idea on who a couple of them are, but as of yet have not gotten their side of the story. In this situration and these anti's, I remember what FMCDH once told me. Anti's are victims and they want everyone else to be victims too. It is my intention, that in furture meetings to let the anti's go first and tell why they want these no gun rules. I will try to find out their victim stories and then so how their victimness could have been mitigated.

Some of the angles I am working on are, what are the public park rules in the area. I was just at Gold park, which is a Lynnwood city park, their sign had no mention of banning firearms. I will also be talking to local law enforcement ie. Snohomish Sheriff and Lynnwood police about any child related gun accidents in the parks. I will also be looking into liability issue of if a gun owner has a accidental discharge that hurts a child or adult, vs our liability if a resident or visitor is the victim of crime in our park and us being liable.

Thank you everyone for helping me with this problem.

Last edited:

Difdi

Have you ever heard of a private party being sued for violations of our state constitution's DECLARATION OF RIGHTS? No? Why do you suppose that is?[/COLOR]

Because they can't. The state has the authority to impose on you and I, as private citizens, but our fellow citizens do not. This is why it is so important to have constitutions that impose limits on state authority. There's no need for such a limit on our fellow citizens, because they lack that authority.

rapgood

The answer to your question turns on incorporation. I don't think the 2nd Amendment has been incorporated against the states yet, so the answer is yes.

Yes, it has.
Article I, section 24 of the Washington State Constitution (“The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired…”) and Amendment II to the Constitution of the United States of America (“… the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed”) made applicable to the states via the Due Process clause of U.S. Const. Amend. XIV. State v. Sieyes, 168 Wn.2d 276, 282 (2010); District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570, 128 S. Ct. 2783, 171 L. Ed. 2d 637 (2008); McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U.S. 3025, 130 S. Ct. 3020, 177 L. Ed. 2d 894 (2010).

rapgood

by the tenants, and tonite at our board meeting they are going to ban guns in our little park. They will probably say it reduces our liability or something like that. Does anyone have any arguments I can use in my defense.

How long have you OC'd in the park? (Sounds like a Gershwin tune...)
You may have a prescriptive easement...

--R