• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Some are associating huge influx of CHL applications to open carry passing

nonameisgood

There are quite a few pro-2a people in Texas. There are also a lot of pro-gun people that don't really support the 2a, in the truest sense of it. There are several house reps and senators that are true respecters of the 2a, but they're a minority and our laws reflect that. There are likely, also, a great number of people that own guns and even carry a handgun in their vehicle that don't even quality as pro-gun, much less really pro-2a people. There are a lot of guns in Texas, for sure. I think it's safe to say that Texas has a "gun culture" so to speak, just meaning that guns are integrated into our culture, or quite a few of our cultures at least, but having guns integrated into the culture isn't the same as being "pro-2a". And you can vehemently defend the culture without even really understanding the gravity of the second amendment - I think we have quite a bit of that here.

We need to turn all of these pro-gun people into pro-2a people.

Truth.

It is common to have people who think of themselves as "gun people" say things like "but you don't need to carry". And even more common to hear people who have a license to carry say "I would never open carry, that's stupid." Texas was the first state to prohibit carry and one of the last to allow it. Texas is NOT a carry state. People have guns in their homes and cars but not on their person.
Just guessing, but I'd say that fewer than half of license holders carry anywhere close to daily. I expect the open carry portion will be 10% or less next year. It will take time for people to change their outlook about becoming a target, having a gun grabbed or being seen as a show off. Let's give it a bit and see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk