• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Something from 1948 to think about

Ken56

I'm sorry but...

if you don't vote you may as well piss on the graves of every soldier that fought for you to have the right to. Many on this forum speak of personal honor and being a law abiding citizen that respects the rights of others and wishes theirs to be respected too. That very integrity amoung us here is the impetus that makes me vote in EVERY election, be it a primary or local or the national election. I feel that by voting I am honoring the sacrifice of those that fought for our freedom. With that said yes, you are also free to NOT vote, and you are free to voluntarily give up your rights during a trafic stop or other LEO contact. Whats the point of having rights if we don't exercise them? Just get out and vote.

Beretta92FSLady

I wonder where you think a person is responsible for anything to do with another person.

No person has a duty or responsibility to another person, meaning, there is no fundamental responsibility or fundamental duty. Are there instances where an individual should have a sense of duty, and/or a mandate of responsibility to another person? Damn right!

Daylen

No person has a duty or responsibility to another person, meaning, there is no fundamental responsibility or fundamental duty. Are there instances where an individual should have a sense of duty, and/or a mandate of responsibility to another person? Damn right!

Nice question dodge.

BaconMan

If we (citizens) do not vote, our right to remained armed will be lost, period.....:cuss:

The procees is confusing and sometimes down right horrible, but we must continue to work within the system we have....:banghead:

For as bad as our voting process is, in communist countries and those ruled by dictators, our process is head and shoulders above all other processes on God's green earth.....:D

Daylen

If we (citizens) do not vote, our right to remained armed will be lost, period.....:cuss:

The procees is confusing and sometimes down right horrible, but we must continue to work within the system we have....:banghead:

For as bad as our voting process is, in communist countries and those ruled by dictators, our process is head and shoulders above all other processes on God's green earth.....:D

Its not better than God's blue earth though. Nor the white earth. It is just difficult to live upon them. Anyone care to start up a rogue mining operation in Antarctica?

Beretta92FSLady

Nice question dodge.

Did I miss something - did you ask me a question?

Pistol,

A parent has no responsibility, no duty, to their children other than what concept of responsibility, and duty they hold, or have mandated upon them by the State. Yea, it is somewhat circular.

PistolPackingMomma

Did I miss something - did you ask me a question?

Pistol,

A parent has no responsibility, no duty, to their children other than what concept of responsibility, and duty they hold, or have mandated upon them by the State. Yea, it is somewhat circular.

Beretta,

So I have no duty to protect or care for my infant son? The "concept" I hold has nothing to do with instinct, or bonds deeper than "government mandation"? I'm just trying to grasp the idea that you believe a parent is not responsible for the life they bring in to this world; they just do it because of social programming.

I suspect these "deep" musings of yours comfort you when you justify the life choices you have made. Abdicate all personal choice, free will, responsibility and morals, then tell yourself it's okay, because those things aren't real anyways; we just made them up, so they have no bearing on an "enlightened" individual such as yourself.

Daylen

Beretta,

So I have no duty to protect or care for my infant son? The "concept" I hold has nothing to do with instinct, or bonds deeper than "government mandation"? I'm just trying to grasp the idea that you believe a parent is not responsible for the life they bring in to this world; they just do it because of social programming.

I suspect these "deep" musings of yours comfort you when you justify the life choices you have made. Abdicate all personal choice, free will, responsibility and morals, then tell yourself it's okay, because those things aren't real anyways; we just made them up, so they have no bearing on an "enlightened" individual such as yourself.

A mother caring for their child is not from duty, its from DNA. DNA that fails to build a brain that will protect its offpsring or trick someone else into protecting them, has failed and doesn't get to live on in that next generation.

Beretta92FSLady

Beretta,

You have not duty to protect your son. The concept you hold may have to do with instinct - unless you are one of those "nurture" dogmatists who think that we are all blank slates. Is "responsibility," and/or "Duty" a social programming - it depends. If "responsibility-duty" is a concept that is a priori (innate), then you do have "responsibility," definitely not of the "personal choice," "free will," "morality" sort.

Yes, I have made life choices, such as: Shooting a perp that was attacking my partner, children, and myself. I have made my life choices, I have taken my stand - or did I? Or did I merely instinctively react to what I perceived as a threat?

"Personal choice" is not absolute. "Free will" is not absolute. "Morals" are a construct. Take for instance me shooting a person in self-defense (actually happened), was it moral for me to do so? What if I felt it was morally right, and the law determined it was morally wrong, then what? What if later I felt that it was morally wrong to shoot another human being (or the seconds that followed my shooting him?), but the law determined that it was morally right?

All of those loose concepts things have just as much bearing on me, as they do any other person, including sociopaths. All that I am stating is that those concepts are constructs that are molded by nature, and by nurture. There is nothing Divine about any of those concepts.

PistolPackingMomma

I don't think you caught the inflection in my last post, so I'll put it in such a way as to not be misconstrued.

I disagree with you. Vehemently.

since9

Campaign Veteran
A mother caring for their child is not from duty, its from DNA. DNA that fails to build a brain that will protect its offpsring or trick someone else into protecting them, has failed and doesn't get to live on in that next generation.

In my understanding, protecting one's offspring is both the highest as well as a penultimate duty.

There is nothing Divine about any of those concepts.

Except their origin.

Last edited:

Daylen

In my understanding, protecting one's offspring is both the highest as well as a penultimate duty.

Except their origin.

Your understanding is wrong. Duty != (Desire .OR. good idea) they are unrelated.