• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Something is wrong with this sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Purple text denotes sarcasm. For example:

OMG! If you open carry you will be the first one shot and any five year-old girl can disarm you!

More examples...

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=191485

Use of colored fonts is strongly discouraged on OCDO for any routine use and is not recognized here as defining sarcasm. Such brings unfair/unwarranted attention to one poster over another - yes there has been a problem with that in the past. Such postings will be edited/deleted.

Insofar as duct tape to cover part of a sign - I have seen municipalities do that as a temporary measure, so no I didn't conclusion jump when I saw such reference on this thread.

stainless1911

Banned
Use of colored fonts is strongly discouraged on OCDO for any routine use and is not recognized here as defining sarcasm. Such brings unfair/unwarranted attention to one poster over another - yes there has been a problem with that in the past. Such postings will be edited/deleted.

Insofar as duct tape to cover part of a sign - I have seen municipalities do that as a temporary measure, so no I didn't conclusion jump when I saw such reference on this thread.

I have highlighted certain words, phrases, and sentences on occasion, I didn't know this was a problem.

That said, the colored highlight is typically used to point out a specific in a law, typically on a copy/paste, for example:

A newb wants to know where he or she cannot carry, one of us would highlight the word premises in 234d, so they don't make the mistake of thinking that it is a prohibition in the building only, (as common sense would dictate).

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
Sec. 234d.
(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have highlighted certain words, phrases, and sentences on occasion, I didn't know this was a problem.

That said, the colored highlight is typically used to point out a specific in a law, typically on a copy/paste, for example:

A newb wants to know where he or she cannot carry, one of us would highlight the word premises in 234d, so they don't make the mistake of thinking that it is a prohibition in the building only, (as common sense would dictate).

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
Sec. 234d.
(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:

Exactly and no problem with that.

A while back a few posters started posting in their particular chosen color: bright blue, purple, red and even pink. The common defense was either it's my right (wrong) or others are doing it, so I should be allowed. IMO in some cases it was a "notice me" effort. Other posters objected saying it made the forum harder to read.

The decision was made that regular/routine posts would not be permitted to utilize color fonts and that they would be reserved for special purposes only. Seems to be a simple solution and equally fair to all.

stainless1911

Banned
Exactly and no problem with that.

A while back a few posters started posting in their particular chosen color: bright blue, purple, red and even pink. The common defense was either it's my right (wrong) or others are doing it, so I should be allowed. IMO in some cases it was a "notice me" effort. Other posters objected saying it made the forum harder to read.

The decision was made that regular/routine posts would not be permitted to utilize color fonts and that they would be reserved for special purposes only. Seems to be a simple solution and equally fair to all.

I agree on all points. I think it's a good decision, as there have been forums where certain individuals selected a color, and it was indeed annoying, and distracting.

TheQ

In the Michigan circles on different forms, purple is used as a color to denote sarcasm.

Could you show me the rule that says you can't use colors routinely in posts?

It'd be helpful to follow all these rules if they were documented.

Oh wait, they are documented:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

Nothing there about colors. Maybe you could suggest John keep the rules updated with the ones you're telling us?

I'm just trying to help make it so people are notified of these rules so we can follow them.

TheQ

Different people have different ways of getting attention. Some paint the tip of the Draco AK-47 orange and wear camo as they stroll through a state park. Others talk about how they open carry a handgun, not in a holster (as this Forum advocates), but in their bare hand. It seems that nothing is done about this sort of "notice me" effort here. :(

TheQ

added to bucket list.

Good for you. The person in this case had a felony take down performed on him at gun point. He was detailed for 150 minutes while police investigated the situation. The sixth circuit federal court of appeals recently ruled the dismissal of his case was proper.

http://www.ca6.uscourts.gov/opinions.pdf/12a0293p-06.pdf

Main reasons cited:

* LGOC
* Tip Painted Orange
* Camo wear.
* The fact it seemed he was seeking attention and he got what he was seeking.

I wish you luck in whatever goal you hope to accomplish by doing this. For those needing a reference on "bucket list":

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0825232/

Two terminally ill men escape from a cancer ward and head off on a road trip with a wish list of to-dos before they die.

Do us all a favor and don't post about it when you do it. Don't forget, LGOC is against forum rules.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
In the Michigan circles on different forms, purple is used as a color to denote sarcasm.

Could you show me the rule that says you can't use colors routinely in posts?

It'd be helpful to follow all these rules if they were documented.

Oh wait, they are documented:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

Nothing there about colors. Maybe you could suggest John keep the rules updated with the ones you're telling us?

I'm just trying to help make it so people are notified of these rules so we can follow them.

I understand different forums different rules.

Not wishing to see OCDO's rules approach anything similar to Robert's Rules of Parliamentary Procedure, it was decided that a simple response on an "as needed" basis would handle a majority of such problems. That approach has worked well to date.

TheQ

By whose standards? Mine?

I see you didn't answer the question as to what your goal is with anything other than "success". I won't bother begging you for details. Enjoy life. I hope you have "success" in whatever your goal is....so long as it isn't taking things from me and others by force (with the government's help or otherwise).

TheQ

I understand different forums different rules.

Not wishing to see OCDO's rules approach anything similar to Robert's Rules of Parliamentary Procedure, it was decided that a simple response on an "as needed" basis would handle a majority of such problems. That approach has worked well to date.

Right...so moderators enforce unwritten rules as they see fit. Got it.

SIG HEIL!

It's good to know how things operate. Now I know...

Is there a "standard" we should follow here to denote sarcasm?

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Right...so moderators enforce unwritten rules as they see fit. Got it.

SIG HEIL!

It's good to know how things operate. Now I know...

Is there a "standard" we should follow here to denote sarcasm?

No - it's an attempt to moderate with a light hand, rather than with a mallet.

The reference to IIIR is not appreciated either; however, there is a rule that formally covers such judgement calls by the administration: "We reserve the right to edit or remove posts for any reason, at any time, at our sole discretion." The big difference here is that we try to explain why when such a decision has been made.

Insofar as denoting sarcasm, most use emoticons or simply add <sarcasm> to end of their post, but frankly I think most people already know that.

Last edited:

TheQ

Insofar as denoting sarcasm, most use emoticons or simply add <sarcasm> to end of their post, but frankly I think most people already know that.

And many people know that purple is sarcasm too *shrugs*.

I wish you luck enforcing unwritten rules and repeatedly educating different ppl about them.

I will do my best to remember and follow them. Let me see what I have so far:

1. No more than 5 emotes in a post (even though the forum is configured to let you use 10 -- why not just change the forum configuration? This must be a configurable item?)
2. No constant use of any color.

Are there any others we should know about now or will we discover them as we go along?

On point #2, most people aren't sarcastic with every post, so I doubt they'd use purple constantly.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Gentlemen - the personal differences and perceived animosity that I have seen expressed on this thread and others as well ill becomes the individual poster as well as this forum - it needs to stop.

This thread has already strayed so far beyond the OP as to be beyond redemption, mostly from the unnecessary personal remarks. Therefore locking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.