• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

South Sound OC Report........

tony d tiger

Just a walk around the block

Stopped in the Lowes on Martin Way and Sleater-Kinney in Lacey. It's getting darker earlier, gonna' have to start carrying a flashlight that's just a little bigger than my usual EDC.

What a nice evening for a walk though - cool dry air, stars out... Yeah.

TechnoWeenie

Was just getting into the checkout line @ winco in Lacey..

A rather...shall we say.... flamboyant.. character (think:Deputy Dangle) stormed past me on my strong side, muttering loud enough to make it obvious that he wanted me to hear ... 'Oh my god, I do NOT feel safe with that gun right there'.

Normally I'd just ignore the comments, or if it seemed appropriate, respond with something along the lines of 'it doesn't jump out of the holster by itself' or 'You're safer here with me than you were over there with no one to protect you'.... but his comment was made with such passion, and such... pizazz (?) that I couldn't help but laughing out loud, just a wee bit too loud... The guy in front of me, oblivious to what just happened, was just looking at me like I was a mad man... and I didn't want to explain the whole thing to him, so I just let it go..

It still cracks me up.

sudden valley gunner

Was just getting into the checkout line @ winco in Lacey..

A rather...shall we say.... flamboyant.. character (think:Deputy Dangle) stormed past me on my strong side, muttering loud enough to make it obvious that he wanted me to hear ... 'Oh my god, I do NOT feel safe with that gun right there'.

Normally I'd just ignore the comments, or if it seemed appropriate, respond with something along the lines of 'it doesn't jump out of the holster by itself' or 'You're safer here with me than you were over there with no one to protect you'.... but his comment was made with such passion, and such... pizazz (?) that I couldn't help but laughing out loud, just a wee bit too loud... The guy in front of me, oblivious to what just happened, was just looking at me like I was a mad man... and I didn't want to explain the whole thing to him, so I just let it go..

It still cracks me up.

Hilarious.
I never understand people like this. They claim how afraid of guns they are by trying to provoke the man with the gun.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Federal Way Starbucks

Had a small impromptu meet up this morning at the Starbucks in Federal Way. In attendance were BigDave, M1Gunr, Deros, Goose, Squeak and gogodawgs...

Great conversation and a pleasure to finally be able to meet BigDave in person.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Had a small impromptu meet up this morning at the Starbucks in Federal Way. In attendance were BigDave, M1Gunr, Deros, Goose, Squeak and gogodawgs...

Thanks for letting the rest of us know. I would have gone. How about a get together at Normas?

tombrewster421

Wish I could have been there also.

Squeak

No worries boys. They tried to have this meet with out me! Security! Heh,heh! I found them! As I said, 'You can run and hide, but I will find you'! Thanks to Goose for buying me coffee!:banana:

Difdi

I never understand people like this. They claim how afraid of guns they are by trying to provoke the man with the gun.

I've met a few. I once wound up in a fistfight, because something about my appearance (I have no clue what, I was dressed nicely, clean, not visibly armed and well-groomed) made this one guy so nervous, he tried to clobber me from behind. After the cops were called, I overheard him explaining to an officer that he was so scared I would attack him and kick his ass, that he picked a fight with me...and got his ass kicked.

It's like there's this mental disconnect, that they don't see their actions as counter-productive to avoiding the situation they're afraid of. If it were a case of them picking a particularly irrational method of confronting their fears, I could sortof understand it. But that's not what they're doing.

decklin

Positive experience at Walmart

Saturday night I was at the Walmart in Auburn with my wife doing some grocery shopping when a young man in a hockey jersey walked up to me and asked if WA was an open carry state. When I told him yes he had all kinds of questions about store policies and if I ever got harassed by anyone. We talked for a couple of minutes about all that and the benefits of CPLs. Apparently he has been wanting to start carrying but was unsure about the laws and where to find info. All in all a good experience.

Drazhar Rakarth

Taco Bell 84th / South Tacoma Way - I was with another Open Carrier and walked to the counter. The packer from drive thru waited for the other OCer to leave counter before approaching me. I will paraphrase as best as I can remember:

Guy: Why do you carry a gun?
Me: Because a cop is too big to fit in my holster.
Guy: I see no reason for you to have to carry a gun. I mean this isn't a rough area. Were you attacked, were you a victim, what reason do you have to feel you need to carry a gun?
Me: It is for all the reasons you didn't mention and can't think of that I carry this gun.

The employees present all nodded and smiled at that. I was given parting words of be safe. The young man asking the question walked directly away after my retort so no chance to speak further. I simply let it go at that. I'm not used to being approached still to be honest but I was simply myself and responded as best I could without seeming confrontational.

I don't call it a bad encounter as members of the public were educated and no one's feelings were hurt. I call this one a win and will revisit this establishment in the future with a pamphlet at least. I had left them in the car. Darn me...

golddigger14s

Activist Member
The people at the IHOP in NV didn't think they needed a gun either. The chance of needing a gun is about a small as winning the lottery. But just like the lottery if you don't buy a ticket you can't win. Better to have it and not need it. If a situation arises that requires me to draw, then do you think I will be able to dial 911? Oh, and I OC'ed at Mr. Postman in Lacey the other day. They aren't anti, but they are charging $.57 per stamp so I'm boycotting them.

tombrewster421

Here's my fist couple of targets from champion arms. The first is from my Glock at about 7 yards and the second is from the Ruger mk1 all the way back at I would guess 30 yards or so.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318093068.785990.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318093068.785990.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 139
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318093085.853969.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318093085.853969.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 137

MAndrew

It has been some time since my last post here, but I have been OC all this time. Always pleasant and a great way to meet good people that I otherwise would not.

Since I relocated to Kent this month, I was stocking up in the local Fred Meyer's. Out of the blue I hear a call out, "opencarry dot org." I turn around and there is another open carrier with his lady companion. SpyderTatto and I exchange pleasantries for a bit and go about our business.

Hey Spyder, sorry for being brief. I have a house warming party in a few hours, hence my rush. I hope to see you around again!

sudden valley gunner

It has been some time since my last post here, but I have been OC all this time. Always pleasant and a great way to meet good people that I otherwise would not.

Since I relocated to Kent this month, I was stocking up in the local Fred Meyer's. Out of the blue I hear a call out, "opencarry dot org." I turn around and there is another open carrier with his lady companion. SpyderTatto and I exchange pleasantries for a bit and go about our business.

Hey Spyder, sorry for being brief. I have a house warming party in a few hours, hence my rush. I hope to see you around again!

Great to have you on again!

SpyderTattoo

Rgr that. Good to see you. You're actually the first person I've randomly come across open carrying. What I mean to say is, the only other OC people I've come across were at some kind of OC get-together. Or at the gunshow, (where I work) but I don't count the gunshow...

My wife saw your spare mags on your left hip about two seconds before me.

decklin

This is something that actually happened almost 2 weeks ago but I forgot to post it. I went to the Costco in Federal Way and had heard about their firearm issues so like always I just conceal when I go in there. Anyway on the way out I decided to stop by the service desk and ask about the corporate policy and if they could show it to me. I have searched for it in my member agreement but like everyone else could not find it. They told me what we have all heard before, "Costco does not allow firearms on it's property and it is stated in the member agreement". And of course they were unable to find it. They actually spent several minutes trying to locate it.
Now this is where it got interesting. The two guys helping me said they wished Costco would change their policy but probably never would. They also said that they are both CPL holders and carry regularly outside of work. Then they told me I should just conceal because how would they know. They said, "if we can't see it then it is not happening".
I have read so many accounts of dealing with Costco and I haven't seen anything on here even remotely like that. It's good to know that even if Costco is against 2A that it's employees are for it.

tombrewster421

This is something that actually happened almost 2 weeks ago but I forgot to post it. I went to the Costco in Federal Way and had heard about their firearm issues so like always I just conceal when I go in there. Anyway on the way out I decided to stop by the service desk and ask about the corporate policy and if they could show it to me. I have searched for it in my member agreement but like everyone else could not find it. They told me what we have all heard before, "Costco does not allow firearms on it's property and it is stated in the member agreement". And of course they were unable to find it. They actually spent several minutes trying to locate it.
Now this is where it got interesting. The two guys helping me said they wished Costco would change their policy but probably never would. They also said that they are both CPL holders and carry regularly outside of work. Then they told me I should just conceal because how would they know. They said, "if we can't see it then it is not happening".
I have read so many accounts of dealing with Costco and I haven't seen anything on here even remotely like that. It's good to know that even if Costco is against 2A that it's employees are for it.

The only Costco location I have had issue with is Lacey(as have many others). I've OC'd no problem at Federal Way, Tacoma, and Puyallup. I'll say the same thing others say. DON'T ASK. I find it very interesting that even after not finding it, they still believe that there is a policy in the member agreement. How stupid are these people? If it's not there, IT'S NOT THERE!