• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

South Sound OC Report........

xxx.jakk.xxx

I have also read that national parks in other states have taken license on the interpretation of "federal building" but generally I think it is interpreted to be the places where federal employee's work.

The question I have at the park then goes to:

Sunrise: The reasturant above the climbing office on the lower floor of the building is leased to an outside vendor - OK? not OK?

Paradise: The Hotel - same deal...no park employee's, but the rangers climbing office and the new visitors center - out of bounds

Longmire: the Hotel and resturant ...leased, no park employees

Narada Falls: public restrooms - no park employee's unless being cleaned....then cones are up.

18 USC § 930 - POSSESSION OF FIREARMS AND DANGEROUS WEAPONS IN FEDERAL FACILITIES

(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.
(b) Whoever, with intent that a firearm or other dangerous weapon be used in the commission of a crime, knowingly possesses or causes to be present such firearm or dangerous weapon in a Federal facility, or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.
(c) A person who kills any person in the course of a violation of subsection (a) or (b), or in the course of an attack on a Federal facility involving the use of a firearm or other dangerous weapon, or attempts or conspires to do such an act, shall be punished as provided in sections 1111, 1112, 1113, and 1117.
(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to—
(1) the lawful performance of official duties by an officer, agent, or employee of the United States, a State, or a political subdivision thereof, who is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of any violation of law;
(2) the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon by a Federal official or a member of the Armed Forces if such possession is authorized by law; or
(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.
(e)
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal court facility, or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 2 years, or both.
(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to conduct which is described in paragraph (1) or (2) of subsection (d).
(f) Nothing in this section limits the power of a court of the United States to punish for contempt or to promulgate rules or orders regulating, restricting, or prohibiting the possession of weapons within any building housing such court or any of its proceedings, or upon any grounds appurtenant to such building.
(g) As used in this section:
(1) The term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.
(2) The term “dangerous weapon” means a weapon, device, instrument, material, or substance, animate or inanimate, that is used for, or is readily capable of, causing death or serious bodily injury, except that such term does not include a pocket knife with a blade of less than 21/2 inches in length.
(3) The term “Federal court facility” means the courtroom, judges’ chambers, witness rooms, jury deliberation rooms, attorney conference rooms, prisoner holding cells, offices of the court clerks, the United States attorney, and the United States marshal, probation and parole offices, and adjoining corridors of any court of the United States.
(h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be.

The building would have to be one that federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties and only if owned or leased by the government. On top of that, they'd have to have the "No firearms" (victim zone) sign posted. Even after that, as long as you're doing another lawful activity, you're technically following the law. You'd probably wind up having to argue it in front of a full room of people, including one in a black robe, though.

decklin

Today I went to Sam's Club in Auburn. When I walked in through the front door the greeter asked me if I had a permit for my firearm. I told her you don't need a permit to OC in Washington State.
The woman at the exit came over and asked about the mall. I said, "The Supermall does not want firearms in their facility so I spend my money elsewhere."
The woman at the exit said that the police told them that because they are attached to the Supermall they are an entity of the mall and could not allow firearms.
WTF?
I said, "Ok, show me the public entrance to the mall."
Of course they couldn't because they are a separate entity and have their own private entrance. I explained some of the private property laws and force of law concerning policies. I told them I have a Sam's Club membership specifically because of the policy for firearms.
The two women looked at eachother and said, "maybe we should call a manager."
I told them to go ahead and if the manager wanted me he could find me shopping in the store. (I wasn't going to wait)
After I paid I went by the woman at the exit (she never called for a manager) and spoke with her some more about private property and criminal trespass, etc.
She had a fake smile plastered across her face and I started to get the feeling she was fully aware of the law, store policy, etc and was just trying to interject her personal feelings on me.

decklin

Was at a pet store (won't say which one for reasons of privacy) and one of the women working there asked if I was on the OC forums. It turns out it was thedavid's girlfriend.
We spoke for a couple minutes and one of the other women asked what I was carrying.
Very friendly staff. Thedavids girlfriend is a very lovely young lady.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Federal Way Court

Went to contest a speeding ticket today with Deros.

After some banter with the Judge about IRLJ 2.6 and also with the prosecuting attorney they agreed with my interpretation of the rule and the infraction was dismissed.

A brief conversation with the PA, as he noticed my holster, about open carry. He asked if I ever got hassled and I stated no.

DCKilla

Some lady at the Puyallup Walmart asked me if I was taking my cart back. You know, as if I was an employee there. I can see how she was confused. I was wearing the standard uniform: blue shirt, tan khakis, and a Glock.:cool:

Last edited:

acmariner99

OC Ivars FW

I have OCed here several times and never a passing glance. Until yesterday. I was enjoying a nice bowl of clam chowder (they discontinued the salmon chowder ) and I got a common question when people are curious:

Him: are you an officer?
Me: no, I'm just a citizen.
Him: Oh, then why do you have a gun? (while pointing to my side)
Me: Just to protect myself. I just want to go about my day and do what I do without any trouble.
Him: We all want that. You know how crime has gone up in recent months?
Me: I am aware. There isn't anything I can really do about that except make sure I don't become a victim.
He nodded in agreement, I thanked him for his questions and went back to my chowder.

tombrewster421

OCd into Yelm for dinner tonight. Then went to Wally world to pick up a couple things. The whole time my little girl was OC with her cap gun.
47d94e58-430a-0e1c.jpg

Vitaeus

Love the idea of the kiddo Open Carrying, but we don't allow "toy" guns in the house. My 7 year old will likely be going to the range with us in the near future, once school is out.

tombrewster421

Love the idea of the kiddo Open Carrying, but we don't allow "toy" guns in the house. My 7 year old will likely be going to the range with us in the near future, once school is out.

She's been to the range with me. She actually treats her cap gun just like a real gun. Never pointing it at people. It just sits in the holster when she's wearing it. Just following daddy's example. She's a great kid. :)

jt59

Out running around Tacoma and area

Starting on East 72nd street Tacoma

Safeway - shopping

Wells Fargo (in the store)

Fred Meyer - more shopping

Chase Bank (long lines in the bank- forgot it was Friday and near the first)

Cappy's Produce- Gun friendly

Pierce County Annex - taxes

Larry's Barber Shop - 56th and S Tacoma Way (nice guy- $11.00), talked politics - old style barber shop, guys sittin around talking about life.

Starbucks - 56th and STW - got called over by a young guy and answered some questions about 1911, not one about open carry

Bank of America 58th and STW

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
QFC NE Tacoma

Last week Deros and I stopped in the local QFC to buy our camping groceries. Just in the door a kid asked me if my gun was real, I responded in the affirmative. At the time I was focused on my list and getting our shopping done so we could get on the road and set up before dark. So I responded in a pleasant manner but without any follow up. We continued on our shopping.

A couple of aisles over while I was shopping for some spices for my POP up, I received so extra fantastic service from one of the employees there. Better and more customer service than I had ever had at QFC. Mind you my cart was filling up with several camping type items (i.e. firewood, condiments, paper plates, etc). I explained that I was doing fine and just looking for spices in sizes for my trailer. (That was expertly modified by Squeak). The clerk 'hung' around a bit, then left.

We finished our shopping with no other incidents. Just two guys buying camping supplies.

decklin

Yesterday the Wife and I went shooting up above Wilkeson off the logging roads. Found a nice private area to start teaching her some alternative shooting methods.
Ready ups, turn and shoot, walk and shoot, run stop and shoot, etc. Starting to get into the fun stuff.
I did all the same stuff and practiced my transitions, controlled pairs, alternate shooting positions, reactive shooting, and some dynamics.
Meant to take some pictures but never got around to it. Next time I guess.

Schlepnier

Apparently only i can prevent forest fires(at 1 am)

I was out for my usual after work exercise/walk and smelled wood smoke. well it was like 72' today so i was like who the heck is burning their wood stove on a day like today.

As i got closer i notice smoke and the crimson glow of a fire with the occasional licking flame. it appeared sombody moved a bunch of pine needles and small branches into a pile and lit it off.

So here it is 1am, no people around to monitor the fire, no firebreak, in a generally poor location for a fire(it was on the edge of a driveway near some brush), i called 911 let the fire dept know and went on my way. noticed a car watching me that turned and drove away as i approached.........

Of course other than the oddity your wondering how this relates to OC, well after a mile or so the light jacket was getting warm so i took it off. when i swung back around to check back up on the fire dept who had arrived i was OC. stopped briefly to let them know i had called it in and confirmed the home owners had no idea they had a fire. went on my way with nothing else said.

Odd night, first time that has happened to me in all the years i have been out on my walk.

Schlepnier

Busy busy day today had lots of running around to do, fortunately the weather was nice fro OC

the start-
.key bank-yelm
.auto licensing spanaway
.westons auto shop-spanaway
.best buy-tacoma
.walmart-yelm
.liquor store-yelm
.pappa murpheys-yelm
That was a good 5+ hours

Not a word said to me about my OC the entire time, just another typical day for me.

Last edited: