• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Springfield Armory XDM .40 in California?

jrwalker

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
AlanR wrote:
I believe it needs to be permanently altered...
It does, per 12020(b)(25). I don't know of any case law or anything to define "permanent" alteration. I think welding/epoxying is a good way to CYA, though.

12020(b)(25):
Code:
As used in this section, "large-capacity magazine" means any
ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10
rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following:

(A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it
cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.
Well that's a very good thing to see. I was over on XDtalk and they were all unsure if one could permanently modify it (i.e. epoxy, weld, etc) to make it legal... Looks like I might be buying another mag to modify for california use...

KS_to_CA

imported post

brad9point0 wrote:
There is no firearm registration requirement in California except for assault weapon owners and personal handgun importers.
I was asked to complete a registration form for the 2 pistols I brought in from KS when I moved to CA.

Confused. :shock:

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

KS_to_CA wrote:
brad9point0 wrote:
There is no firearm registration requirement in California except for assault weapon owners and personal handgun importers.
I was asked to complete a registration form for the 2 pistols I brought in from KS when I moved to CA.

Don't feel bad; I don't get it either... I'm just at the point I don't care. I don't plan to buy any more guns in CA.

nomidlname

imported post

Isn't there a magazine disconnect requirement in california for all semi-auto handguns? Or does that vary depending on the county/city your in? XDM40 does not have a magazine disconnect.

Decoligny

imported post

nomidlname wrote:
Isn't there a magazine disconnect requirement in california for all semi-auto handguns? Or does that vary depending on the county/city your in? XDM40 does not have a magazine disconnect.
That is for any handguns SOLD in California. You can bring them in with you, no problem.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Decoligny wrote:
nomidlname wrote:
That is for any handguns SOLD in California. You can bring them in with you, no problem.
And only applies to sales of NEW handguns by FFLs. If you import it you can still sell it to a private party without worrying about the list.

nomidlname

imported post

That's awesome! I have 6 XDM 40 mags and 6 XDM 9mm mags. I think I can modify one of each and tack weld the mag after I insure it functions properly. I have always wanted to UOC my XDm into California on my weekly Lotta Ticket trip. I fell in love with that gun the first time I held it. Awesome piece of equipment.

Well.. not always. But sinceI have ownedthem :)

mjones

imported post

KS_to_CA wrote:
brad9point0 wrote:

That's because you were a 'personal handgun importer' when you moved into CA.

mjones

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
nomidlname wrote:

Slight correction - magazine disconnect is only required on handguns that are added to the 'safe' roster - and weren't already on it. Ditto for 'loaded chamber indicator'

And AFAIK, there is no prohibition on removing said features after the pistol is purchased.

inbox485

imported post

mjones wrote:
Decoligny wrote:
nomidlname wrote:
Isn't there a magazine disconnect requirement in california for all semi-auto handguns?  Or does that vary depending on the county/city your in?  XDM40 does not have a magazine disconnect.
That is for any handguns SOLD in California.  You can bring them in with you, no problem.

Slight correction - magazine disconnect is only required on handguns that are added to the 'safe' roster - and weren't already on it. Ditto for 'loaded chamber indicator'

And AFAIK, there is no prohibition on removing said features after the pistol is purchased.

All this with the confusion over CA law is not necessary. If you move into CA you are a personal handgun importer and you have 60 days to register your handguns. Visitors have no registration requirement.

Safe list requirements only apply to guns that are being added to the list, and that list only applies to new handguns sold to non LEO CA residents. The only other use for the safe handgun roster I know of is in DC where you can only register a CA listed handgun and pray it never gets de-listed, but that is not relevant here. Once a handgun has been legally possessed in CA by anybody, it is only subject to restrictions in the PC.

brad9point0

imported post

inbox485 wrote:
mjones wrote:
Decoligny wrote:
nomidlname wrote:
Isn't there a magazine disconnect requirement in california for all semi-auto handguns?  Or does that vary depending on the county/city your in?  XDM40 does not have a magazine disconnect.
That is for any handguns SOLD in California.  You can bring them in with you, no problem.

All this with the confusion over CA law is not necessary. If you move into CA you are a personal handgun importer and you have 60 days to register your handguns. Visitors have no registration requirement.

Safe list requirements only apply to guns that are being added to the list, and that list only applies to new handguns sold to non LEO CA residents. The only other use for the safe handgun roster I know of is in DC where you can only register a CA listed handgun and pray it never gets de-listed, but that is not relevant here. Once a handgun has been legally possessed in CA by anybody, it is only subject to restrictions in the PC.

The issue with the XDM is the magazines, as far as I know no 10 rds are made so the pistol is legal only without the magazines.

inbox485

imported post

brad9point0 wrote:
inbox485 wrote:
mjones wrote:
Decoligny wrote:
nomidlname wrote:

The issue with the XDM is the magazines, as far as I know no 10 rds are made so the pistol is legal only without the magazines.

While it is debated and there is no case law, IMO you can modify the base plate that follows the spring by gluing a spacer block to it and be good to go. Having a clearly and permanently modified magazine that would require a separate part to restore it to high capacity should cover you under the wording and the intent of the law.