• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State Forest Meeting - Open Carry - Mar 4th

45acpForMe

imported post

I want to add my thanks to the people that took time out of their life to make comments and attend the meetings.

One of these days I am going to have to make a sacrifice and attend something like this. I understand each of you also have the usual excuses (work, kids, distance) but overcome them.

When I heard of the death-star-sub-committee I was so angry I started trying to figure out how to attend that meeting but wound up working at a customer site in VA Beach instead.

Thanks and I look forward to the day I can contribute my time.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

riverrat10k wrote:
Bump

Any news on this front yet? It's time to go fishing.
Good question?

The Governors Press people aren't returning calls.
The people in his office that normally gossip, aren't talking.
The Secretary of Agriculture isn't returning calls.

McDonnell has already crawfished on one of his AG opinions.

Take a guess where it looks like it's going.

It really won't hurt him much to sit this one out. Everyone knows that all responsible gun people have CHP's.

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

peter nap wrote:
riverrat10k wrote:
Bump

Any news on this front yet? It's time to go fishing.
Good question?

The Governors Press people aren't returning calls.
The people in his office that normally gossip, aren't talking.
The Secretary of Agriculture isn't returning calls.

McDonnell has already crawfished on one of his AG opinions.

Take a guess where it looks like it's going.

It really won't hurt him much to sit this one out. Everyone knows that all responsible gun people have CHP's.
I am working this and have been, even for the "irresponsible" people, Peter. :p

riverrat10k

imported post

Thank your for your work Phillip.

Seems a no-brainer. No agency can create rules more restrictive than state law, correct? Similar to Ken C's unpopular opinion about protected classes.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

riverrat10k wrote:
Thank your for your work Phillip.

Seems a no-brainer. No agency can create rules more restrictive than state law, correct? Similar to Ken C's unpopular opinion about protected classes.
I'll second that Philip. You've had a difficult year and kept running like watch.

Thank you!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Public comment has closed. There were 3,680 individual comments posted to the Dept. of Forestry either through the "town Hall" web site or at their own web site. They were all aggregated at the "Town Hall" page http://townhall.virginia.gov/L/ViewComments.cfm?stageid=5277.

Although it was a quick scan, I did not see one single comment in opposition to amending the VAC to permit concealed carry in state forests, and while I did not count them my impression is that at least 90% requested that open carry be permitted via an editing of the proposed regulation.

The only negatives I saw were those who did not understand the difference between state FORESTS and state parks, and those who seemed to believe this regulatory amendment applied to national parks. Even if those "confused" comments are thrown out the record seems to be clear that there is massive support for regulatory change and for the inclusion of open carry in that change.

Now all we have to do is wait to see how they are going to approach the issue of including open carry. The uninitiated are urged to read the previous posts regarding the possibilities - it will be an education.

Way to go, people! Well done!

stay safe.

skidmark

t33j

imported post

skidmark wrote:
...those who did not understand the difference between state FORESTS and state parks
I'm still somewhat confused on the difference (in rules) myself.

Now we wait some more...

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

By best do you mean:

a) politically expedient; b) that which best serves "our interests"; or c) something else?

Without question what would please me the most would be d) a recodification of 15.2-915 such that the same limitations on local governments are imposed on state agencies/departments, wiping out the various Va. Administrative Code end-runs andleaving us with one law on the matter.

I will not be holding my breath waiting for that one to happen.

stay safe.

skidmark

TFred

imported post

skidmark wrote:
Without question what would please me the most would be d) a recodification of 15.2-915 such that the same limitations on local governments are imposed on state agencies/departments, wiping out the various Va. Administrative Code end-runs andleaving us with one law on the matter.

I will not be holding my breath waiting for that one to happen.

stay safe.

skidmark
But boy would that be fun to watch... a seemingly innocuous and ever so slight change in wording, just a couple added here and there... then waiting for all the anti-gunners to process in their wee little brains what the impact would be... You could sell tickets to that.

They they would have to mount a huge publicity campaign to fight against what most of the public would see as just a very slight change to a well established, and fairly non-controversial law.

:p

TFred