• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State Police encounter in VA Beach

InsuredByGlock

imported post

SicSemperTyrannis wrote:
Three Cheers for the Virginia State Police!!

No organization is perfect, and with hundreds of employees, it would be unreasonable to expect perfection ofevery employeein every situation. The Virginia State Police does have a history of responding promptly and appropriately to gun owners legitimate concerns, and the call you received from the Lt is another example of this....

Yes, the state police seem to be easier to work with in general, not just in this case. The city kitties tend to be condescending and rude during traffic stops, at least the ones from chesapeake, Norfolk, and Portsmouth that I have been stopped by.

My favorite is when I got stopped for speeding when I was 22. I was pacing a Chesapeake police officer going 70 in a 55, with no lights and siren on. Hesays, "do you know what the speed limit is, son?" in a VERY condescending tone.

I said, "First things first, I am not your son, you are not my father. The sooner you figure that out, the better off you'll be. Second, I was following you with no lights or siren. Do you know the speed limit?"

It was at this point I was daring him to say, "I'm a cop, I can go as fast as I want." No such statement.

After I put him in his place, he said, "you need to slow down" and walked back to his cruiser and drove off, without even running my driver's license or registration.

I have never had an encounter with the state police where they were less than professional. I am always polite to them and they return the favor.

Bubba Ron

imported post

InsuredByGlock wrote:
My favorite is when I got stopped for speeding when I was 22. I was pacing a Chesapeake police officer going 70 in a 55, with no lights and siren on. Hesays, "do you know what the speed limit is, son?" in a VERY condescending tone.

I said, "First things first, I am not your son, you are not my father. The sooner you figure that out, the better off you'll be. Second, I was following you with no lights or siren. Do you know the speed limit?"
Where's that durn yellow flag?????? Or should the BS flag be thrown???????

InsuredByGlock

imported post

Just B/C I am a twenty-something punk in their eyes and they are twice my age does not mean I am obligated to listen to them preach. Not sure what his attitude problem was all about, but I wanted no part of it. I had my license and registration in hand when he showed up, but he never accepted them after my "choice words". Remember, the police are supposed to set an example and are not immune from any traffic laws until they activate their lights and/or siren. Had this officer declared he was immune from the speed limit on routine patrol, I would gladly have taken the penalty flag down to internal affairs.

The 3 separate times I have been stopped by the state police, they were professional and immediately informed me what I was being detained for. I was handed mysummons and sent about my way. No BS mind games or attitude.

mercutio545

imported post

VCDL President wrote:
18.2-94. Possession of burglarious tools, etc. If any person have in his possession any tools, implements or outfit, with intent to commit burglary, robbery or larceny, upon conviction thereof he shall be guilty of a Class 5 felony. The possession of such burglarious tools, implements or outfit by any person other than a licensed dealer, shall be prima facie evidence of an intent to commit burglary, robbery or larceny.

Outfit? So if I have a ski mask and gloves in my trunk, then I'm a felon? I keep a cold weather/emergency box in my trunk (blanket, balaclava, pants, gloves, flashlights, etc) in case my car breaks down and I'm in the middle of nowhere. That's pretty ridiculous.

sccrref

imported post

<snip> Outfit? So if I have a ski mask and gloves in my trunk, then I'm a felon? I keep a cold weather/emergency box in my trunk (blanket, balaclava, pants, gloves, flashlights, etc) in case my car breaks down and I'm in the middle of nowhere. That's pretty ridiculous. <snip>
Just make sure that it is not in basic black. Order the set that is in bright floral/pastel colors. :lol: Damn, that real bick beer can just fell on me. "Men should act like men!"

LEO 229

imported post

VCDL President wrote:
TEX1N wrote:
VCDL President wrote:
I have several horror stories from members who did so and got into all kinds of unintended trouble. It would be all so easy to have something in your car that you are unaware being illegal - like a pair of bolt cutters (felonly possession of a burglary tool) just for a simple example.
I don't mean to stray from the subject...but are bolt cutters really illegal, or does it have to be proven that you intended to use them for illegal purposes?!?
Yes, apparently they are considered such and then they get you under this law:

18.2-94. Possession of burglarious tools, etc. If any person have in his possession any tools, implements or outfit, with intent to commit burglary, robbery or larceny, upon conviction thereof he shall be guilty of a Class 5 felony. The possession of such burglarious tools, implements or outfit by any person other than a licensed dealer, shall be prima facie evidence of an intent to commit burglary, robbery or larceny.

Not really..

You still have to have some real intent. It is highly unlikely you will ever be charged unless you tell me.. "Well Officer/Trooper/Deputy... I have them in the car tonight because I was going to cut the lock on thatshed over there so I could steal the contents."

The prima facie evidence most common is the tin foil bags used to bypass the anti theft sensors in stores.

LEO 229

imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
VCDL President wrote:

Outfit? So if I have a ski mask and gloves in my trunk, then I'm a felon? I keep a cold weather/emergency box in my trunk (blanket, balaclava, pants, gloves, flashlights, etc) in case my car breaks down and I'm in the middle of nowhere. That's pretty ridiculous.
The outfit would be something like a coat with special pockets that you can conceal items while you are shoplifting. It is not a maskand gloves.

paramedic70002

imported post

I'll have to look for a specific code section, but I believe that a police vehicle is immune from the speed limit in certain circumstances, even when not having the emergency equipment engaged. Ah, here we go:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-920

InsuredByGlock wrote:
...Remember, the police are supposed to set an example and are not immune from any traffic laws until they activate their lights and/or siren. Had this officer declared he was immune from the speed limit on routine patrol, I would gladly have taken the penalty flag down to internal affairs...

paramedic70002

imported post

Dang it for some reason my post isn't coming through correctly, so here we go again:

46.2-920. Certain vehicles exempt from regulations in certain situations; exceptions and additional requirements.

D. Any law-enforcement vehicle operated by or under the direction of a federal, state, or local law-enforcement officer may disregard speed limits, while having due regard for safety of persons and property, (i) in testing the accuracy of speedometers of such vehicles, (ii) in testing the accuracy of speed measuring devices specified in § 46.2-882, or (iii) in following another vehicle for the purpose of determining its speed.

Bulldog1967

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
WVCDL wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
It's perfectly legal to carry an unloaded firearm in the trunk of your car in Virginia and any other state or city for that matter, if it is locked up and separate from any ammunition. Virginia just happens to be a bit more lenient.
Carrying an unloaded firearm in the trunk of your car may be legal in Virginia and most other states, but some states (e.g., the People's Republic of Maryland, seeMd. Code §4-203(a)(1)(ii)) require a license for the mere possession of a handgun in a vehicle, to which your only defense is 18 U.S.C. § 926A.

That's most interesting. Especially when viewed in the light of the 1986 Firearm Owner's Protection Act which isa federal law. This gives an owner the right to travel through any place in the country to a destination as long as he is legally allowed to own the weapon. It must be unloaded and in a case in the trunk separate from the ammunition. This would allow a Virginia resident to carry his hunting handgun from his state, up the east coast to Maine to hunt moose. That means going through states such as Maryland, Massachusetts, and New Jersey, and cities such as Washington D.C. and New York.

As I understand this law, you cannot be touched (as in detained or arrested) on your journey.

Maybe, but the Chief of Police of DC disagrees with you. Guess who wins THAT one?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Bulldog1967 wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
WVCDL wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
It's perfectly legal to carry an unloaded firearm in the trunk of your car in Virginia and any other state or city for that matter, if it is locked up and separate from any ammunition. Virginia just happens to be a bit more lenient.
Carrying an unloaded firearm in the trunk of your car may be legal in Virginia and most other states, but some states (e.g., the People's Republic of Maryland, seeMd. Code §4-203(a)(1)(ii)) require a license for the mere possession of a handgun in a vehicle, to which your only defense is 18 U.S.C. § 926A.

That's most interesting. Especially when viewed in the light of the 1986 Firearm Owner's Protection Act which isa federal law. This gives an owner the right to travel through any place in the country to a destination as long as he is legally allowed to own the weapon. It must be unloaded and in a case in the trunk separate from the ammunition. This would allow a Virginia resident to carry his hunting handgun from his state, up the east coast to Maine to hunt moose. That means going through states such as Maryland, Massachusetts, and New Jersey, and cities such as Washington D.C. and New York.

As I understand this law, you cannot be touched (as in detained or arrested) on your journey.

Maybe, but the Chief of Police of DC disagrees with you. Guess who wins THAT one?

We do. It's a federal law.

The thing with DC or some similar dump is you must continue your journey. Obviously you can stop for fuel or such, but you must be passing through to your destination. You may not delay your trip by visiting friends, enjoying the sights, or just hanging around. Then you would open the door to DC's draconian laws.

So something like a current Maine hunting license, with reciept, a lodging confirmation, or other items of this nature would help immensely were you to be stopped. And even if you were stopped, the weapons are in your trunk. How would the DC goons know unless they managed an illegal search?

hinch

imported post

I assume the cop was wrong about having a loaded gun OC, but where exactly can I point a person to or officer to say 'this is why you are wrong about loaded OC guns'?

Tomahawk

imported post

hinch wrote:
I assume the cop was wrong about having a loaded gun OC, but where exactly can I point a person to or officer to say 'this is why you are wrong about loaded OC guns'?
The burden is upon the officer to say why you are wrong about open-carry.

nova

imported post

About the trunk deal. I have a pickup, which obviously doesn't have a trunk. I have a locking tonneau cover on the bed but I know that it's not secure (I've gotten into it without using the key before :) ) But when I go to the range I usually have several handguns and ammunition in a bag I just put on the back seat. Anything illegal with that? I don't think I'm going to open carry 3-4 handguns on my front seat :D

armedinrichmond

imported post

This thread reminds me of a joke.

A guy is speeding down the highway, and goes over a bridge. Little does he know, there's a cop waiting at the end of the bridge with a radar gun. He gets pulled over, and is issued a ticket. The cop asks to search his car, and he gives permission. Upon searching the trunk, the cop finds a pair of bolt cutters and a box of gloves.

The cop asks, "What are you doing with these gloves and bolt cutters? Are you a locksmith or something?"

Guy says, "No, sir. Actually, I'm an asshole stretcher."

"A what? What the heck is that?"

"Well, sir, I put on the gloves, and my two index fingers in. I stretch and stretch, until I can get two fingers from each hand. I then work it so that I can finally get all ten fingers in, and eventually, after several hours of work, I'm sitting in front of a six-foot asshole."

"That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. What possible use could you have for a six-foot asshole?"

"Put it at the end of a bridge with a radar gun."

dude

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
mercutio545 wrote:
VCDL President wrote:

The outfit would be something like a coat with special pockets that you can conceal items while you are shoplifting. It is not a maskand gloves.

What good is it to keep a mask in your trunk if you cant wear it w/o breaking a seriously stupid law???

§ 18.2-422. Prohibition of wearing of masks in certain places; exceptions.

It shall be unlawful for any person over sixteen years of age while wearing any mask, hood or other device whereby a substantial portion of the face is hidden or covered so as to conceal the identity of the wearer, to be or appear in any public place, or upon any private property in this Commonwealth without first having obtained from the owner or tenant thereof consent to do so in writing. However, the provisions of this section shall not apply to persons (i) wearing traditional holiday costumes; (ii) engaged in professions, trades, employment or other activities and wearing protective masks which are deemed necessary for the physical safety of the wearer or other persons; (iii) engaged in any bona fide theatrical production or masquerade ball; or (iv) wearing a mask, hood or other device for bona fide medical reasons upon the advice of a licensed physician or osteopath and carrying on his person an affidavit from the physician or osteopath specifying the medical necessity for wearing the device and the date on which the wearing of the device will no longer be necessary and providing a brief description of the device. The violation of any provisions of this section shall constitute a Class 6 felony.

unrequited

imported post

armedinrichmond wrote:
This thread reminds me of a joke.

A guy is speeding down the highway, and goes over a bridge.  Little does he know, there's a cop waiting at the end of the bridge with a radar gun.  He gets pulled over, and is issued a ticket.  The cop asks to search his car, and he gives permission.  Upon searching the trunk, the cop finds a pair of bolt cutters and a box of gloves.

The cop asks, "What are you doing with these gloves and bolt cutters?  Are you a locksmith or something?"

Guy says, "No, sir.  Actually, I'm an asshole stretcher."

"A what?  What the heck is that?"

"Well, sir, I put on the gloves, and my two index fingers in.  I stretch and stretch, until I can get two fingers from each hand.  I then work it so that I can finally get all ten fingers in, and eventually, after several hours of work, I'm sitting in front of a six-foot asshole."

"That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.  What possible use could you have for a six-foot asshole?"

"Put it at the end of a bridge with a radar gun."
Hah, I just got a flash of goatse and a looooong shudder.

As for the mask law, that's knida ridiculous that it's a felony... and even on private property!

or upon any private property in this Commonwealth without first having obtained from the owner or tenant thereof consent to do so in writing

ChinChin

imported post

InsuredByGlock wrote:
the officer requested permission to search my vehicle, which was granted. Nothing was found, and this is where the traffic stop ended and I departed.

Any thoughts?

No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No!

You NEVER allow the police to search your vechicle! EVER! The police are not your friends. They are not your pals. Ever notice how the maranda rights read "Anything you say CAN and WILL be used against you in a court of law." Not MIGHT be used against you. . .CAN and WILL.

Never consent to search. They'll threaten you will all sorts of BS, but deep down they know that without your approval, they can't do bubkis.