• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stopped at GUNPOINT

erps

imported post

Section 1. Any police officer or other public official who illegally arrests, detains, intimidates, or otherwise harasses a person for lawfully carrying or possessing a firearm,
aren'tillegal arrests, detentions, intimidation or harassment already illegal?

sudden valley gunner

imported post

erps wrote:
Section 1. Any police officer or other public official who illegally arrests, detains, intimidates, or otherwise harasses a person for lawfully carrying or possessing a firearm,
aren'tillegal arrests, detentions, intimidation or harassment already illegal?
Yes they are but we have no real recourse except to sue and there are no definitive penalties for the illegal actions of officers. And no prosecutors willing to bring action against officers when the "public" files a complaint.

kschmadeka

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Yes they are but we have no real recourse except to sue and there are no definitive penalties for the illegal actions of officers. And no prosecutors willing to bring action against officers when the "public" files a complaint.

That's exactly it, prosecutors won't actually prosecute someone else from within the "system" unless there's no way out of it, which typically means something extreme has to happenon the level of the Everett shooting of an unarmedman in the back, and even then the system will always find a way to get them off. That only leaves the lawsuit route, and while that's having some effect, these incidents still keep happening. There's no excuse for that either,OC islegal, and everyone knows it, but they don't like gun owners coming out of the closet, and that's what this harassment is about.

Even if this bill went nowhere, if we got some legislative support behind the idea I guarantee we'd have their attention. A lot of departments have gotten on the right side of the issue, but the ones that haven't need their cages rattled.

olypendrew

Settlement

I am pleased to announce that sudden valley gunner settled his claim against the city of Bellingham for $1500 and the city's agreement to issue an appropriate open carry training bulletin.

sudden valley gunner

Thanks for the support guys.

I do have a feeling this isn't quite over with BPD though, they don't like me at all.

Any victory we can get for our inalienable rights is a good victory.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Thanks for the support guys.

I do have a feeling this isn't quite over with BPD though, they don't like me at all.

That's ok, SVG. They'll soon have far more people not to like as the number of us who choose to openly exercise our 2nd Amendment rights in an open, rather than secretive fashion, continues to grow.

Dear Bellingham PD: I have friends on Whidbey Island, and will soon be visiting them. I will also soon be spending some time in your neck of the woods, as well. I am letting you know this so that you never get the impression I'm "sneaking up on you." I am a friend of law enforcement, and have many friends therein, including members of the local police department, the county sheriff's office, several lawyers, two judges, and three members of the Colorado Mounted Rangers. In addition, I spent 20 years in international law "enforcement" (i.e. the U.S. Military). In short, I am both friend to, and no stranger of law enforcement. I took the same oath as you to protect and defend our Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic, and with the Supreme Court's recent rulings in support of our Constitutional right to keep (own) and bear (carry) arms, I am proud to carry out my oath by exercising my Constitutional rights as much as both practical and allowed by law. See you soon! - Since9

amlevin

That's ok, SVG. They'll soon have far more people not to like as the number of us who choose to openly exercise our 2nd Amendment rights in an open, rather than secretive fashion, continues to grow.

Dear Bellingham PD: I have friends on Whidbey Island, and will soon be visiting them. I will also soon be spending some time in your neck of the woods, as well. I am letting you know this so that you never get the impression I'm "sneaking up on you." I am a friend of law enforcement, and have many friends therein, including members of the local police department, the county sheriff's office, several lawyers, two judges, and three members of the Colorado Mounted Rangers. In addition, I spent 20 years in international law "enforcement" (i.e. the U.S. Military). In short, I am both friend to, and no stranger of law enforcement. I took the same oath as you to protect and defend our Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic, and with the Supreme Court's recent rulings in support of our Constitutional right to keep (own) and bear (carry) arms, I am proud to carry out my oath by exercising my Constitutional rights as much as both practical and allowed by law. See you soon! - Since9

Why not send them a picture and the license number of your vehicle too. If you're going to call attention to yourself, why not go all the way.

On the other hand, why do you feel it's necessary to "rattle the cage"? Why not just go about your business in a lawful manner and see what happens. Who knows, may it will be nothing at all.

xxx.jakk.xxx

Why not send them a picture and the license number of your vehicle too. If you're going to call attention to yourself, why not go all the way.

On the other hand, why do you feel it's necessary to "rattle the cage"? Why not just go about your business in a lawful manner and see what happens. Who knows, may it will be nothing at all.

So far for me going about my daily routine has turned up absolutely no confrontations and just little questions from people. I would suggest not trying to catch attention and just act as you would before you carried openly. We're trying to normalize it, not parade around chanting, "We're here and armed! Notice me so that I can b***h about it!".

Just my opinion. Please take it as such. =]