• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stopped for OC in Clarksville

Jon the Cop

imported post

Unmarked vehicle/plain clothes. He was not allowed to make the stop.
IC 9-30-2-2
Uniform and badge; marked police vehicle
Sec. 2. A law enforcement officer may not arrest or issue a traffic information and summons to a person for a violation of an Indiana law regulating the use and operation of a motor vehicle on an Indiana highway or an ordinance of a city or town regulating the use and operation of a motor vehicle on an Indiana highway unless at the time of the arrest the officer is:
(1) wearing a distinctive uniform and a badge of authority; or
(2) operating a motor vehicle that is clearly marked as a police vehicle;
that will clearly show the officer or the officer's vehicle to casual observations to be an officer or a police vehicle. This section does not apply to an officer making an arrest when there is a uniformed officer present at the time of the arrest.
http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title9/ar30/ch2.html
I was yelling at my screen when I read the story. Yelling because of the ABOVE law. I've been a cop for over 8 years. 5 here in Indiana. This is exactly correct. For what exact reason did he stop you? If only an infraction I would suggest the following:
Hire an attorney who is familiar with this type of work
Go with said attorney to the agency involved and file a formal complaint with the Sheriff. If they are not receptive to your wishes I would then go to the state police post for that district (with your attorney) and speak to them about it.
Good luck to you!