• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Story on Open Carry on ABCs "Nightline"

Eeyore

Could be a lot worse

Seemed mostly balanced. The sentence that caught my eye was: "Starbucks was the target of a pressure campaign to allow customers to openly carry their weapons in states where it's legal to do so -- that's 43 of the 50 states."

Au contraire. Starbucks was the target of a pressure campaign to stop allowing customers to openly carry their weapons in states where it's legal to do so. They did not buckle to that pressure, to their credit.

zack991

*facepalm*

Yep
funny-gifs-kitteh-has-bad-case-of-mondays.gif

OldCurlyWolf

Its seems to me that Nightline is on the fence about gun ownership. This video didn't really give off any indicators that they are for or against. They interviewed people from both sides.

I remember watching a Nightline special on open carry in Virginia. They seemed to lean towards gun-owners on the matter. It would seem to me that nightline is just like a majority of people out there that are unsure about it all. Let's make sure we're continuing what we're doing and let's educate the public on what guns really mean.

I recommend you guys read a book called "More Guns, Less Crime" by John R lott Jr. It will give you some great arguments backed by years and years of statistics that should help educate those who don't know about what guns actually do, when placed in the hands of law-abiding citizens.

Night line is NOT on the fence when they misreport the facts.

They said Starbucks was on the wrong end of a pressure campaign to ALLOW open carry where it is legal.

This is what I commented about that:

"Starbucks was the target of a pressure campaign to allow customers to openly carry their weapons in states where it's legal to do so -- that's 43 of the 50 states."

The above is not true, actually it is a lie. If you read the other stories on the subject, they all agree that the pressure campaign still is to get Starbucks to DISALLOW customers to open carry where it it legal. This is but one example of the way the so called major networks work at misinforming and spreading propaganda to the public.

The only reason I ever watch the network news is to watch the local channels news.

DWCook

Activist Member
Some of the information stated in this video with the reporter was just a bit off. Yes people have there right to say "I hate guns" or "I dont want open carry" well considering the fact that alot of crimes happen because of NO PROTECTION. Maybe increasing testing for us open carry people might strike them down or maybe they can just stop being children. I honestly dont see ANY harm with people in open carry. Considering the state laws and the already background checks that we all go through. The fact that people have been killed by guns does not justify a reason to banish open carry or even to own a firearm. If thats the reasoning then we should ban automobiles considering how many deaths there with drunk driving and DUMB drivers. Sorry for the rant but just lost my cap and blew pressure.