• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"stupid" oc move in missouri!!!!

DocWalker

I've OC'd in WI, a lot different than Missouri. I am all for awareness and a lot of us promote that. However, with the current theater events both in CO and recently here in MO. we ar enot winning the battle of public/legislative approval with bad press. Public awareness is not going to change our law in Misouri. I say "YES" OC all over the place but the theater thing where Batman is showing is not good PR for any body. Politically correct... Not what I'm saying. Good OC relations are good, BAD OC relations are BAD! If some body ca't tel the difference they probably don't have the smarts to be carrying a firearm. If you want to just raise the OC issue in bad light in public... YEP OC TO A BATMAN MOVIE....You have all the public opinion and awareness you want.

It's not going to help accomplish the long range goal in Missouri! Real change here in Missouri "Show me", is in the legislature or the courts, not in a theater, the evening news or here on this forum.

YES OC....It's Ok, ,press can be OK, bad press is not a good thing..... THINK!

Let's just hope being PC doesn't get someone killed. I would rather bad press while doing something legal than being listed in the Obituaries due to being in the wrong place and the wrong time unprepared. But to each their own I guess.

Back to the quote by Thomas Jefferson..."Those that would give up Liberty for Security (or in this case Political Correctness) deserve neither liberty nor security."

Festus_Hagen

I OC'ed everywhere where legal when I was down in St Charles County and had zero issues. Mid-Rivers Mall, Waffle House (several), Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's (I know, not St. Charles County), Buffalo Wild Wings (they are all posted in WI).

No freaking out, no cops were called.
And I carry in Jeff City, Columbia, California and surrounding areas in Mo. without trouble either . Some of my fellow OC'ers in the Lou and KC areas have been infringed upon by our government. For the greater good of the cause and to try and forward our progress in the Capitol , I will happily refrain from OC'ing at such places that a stroke of a pen can end it, as well as our chances at preemptive legislation . There are a lot of scenarios people have thrown out in this thread . I think deep in your minds you understand what is at stake . Is it right ? No . But as was said by OCFM above :

Keeping a low profile IS self imposed infringement on our RTKBA, but we sometimes must do a little self infringing now to gain the no infringement by the state later.

Festus_Hagen

Let's just hope being PC doesn't get someone killed. I would rather bad press while doing something legal than being listed in the Obituaries due to being in the wrong place and the wrong time unprepared. But to each their own I guess.

Back to the quote by Thomas Jefferson..."Those that would give up Liberty for Security (or in this case Political Correctness) deserve neither liberty nor security."

Why not CCW when it's prudent ? It's not like you can't be armed . I'm willing to take one for the team . I think that is a lot of the problem , some look at it as " ME" or " I " when it's really " WE " , and WE have to play the game in Mo. right now if we want OC legal everywhere .

If everyone is happy with the way it is , so be it . I can carry NP in my area . I would just like my brothers and sisters to be able to do the same .

mspgunner

Why not CCW when it's prudent ? It's not like you can't be armed . I'm willing to take one for the team . I think that is a lot of the problem , some look at it as " ME" or " I " when it's really " WE " , and WE have to play the game in Mo. right now if we want OC legal everywhere .

If everyone is happy with the way it is , so be it . I can carry NP in my area . I would just like my brothers and sisters to be able to do the same .

Amen!

Boba Fett

We all work in our own fashion to gain the prize, it takes time and sometimes a little timing to gain the prize.

I must ask a very stupid question, but what exactly is "the prize"? State preemption? You realize that normalizing firearms in our communities is kind of a moot point, IMO.

BTW I'm not an OC activist. I'm the end user. I'm the person who OC's because I want to and I like to, not just because it's a right. I'm the one you guys are fighting for.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
I must ask a very stupid question, but what exactly is "the prize"? State preemption? You realize that normalizing firearms in our communities is kind of a moot point, IMO.

BTW I'm not an OC activist. I'm the end user. I'm the person who OC's because I want to and I like to, not just because it's a right. I'm the one you guys are fighting for.

Liberty and freedom are the prizes. The day each person once again is able to make their own choices is issues surrounding firearms the effort is won. It is not about everyone open carrying, it is not about everyone owning firearms, it is simply about everyone having the rights guaranteed by the constitution to make the choices they see fit for themselves without that choice being infringed upon by the governmental bodies of this country.

As it sits, the MO legislature allowed municipal governments to infringe above and beyond the state level, something that never should have happened and something that is much harder to reverse because making a law never has to have merit or make sense. Unfortunately, a lot of folks fail to understand that the removal process does not have to make sense either as in too many ways you are dealing with the same BS that got it put into place.

OC for ME

Well, that is a very good point.....you have the right to do, or not do, as you choose. Unfortunaetly the state currently permits political subdivisions to limit your choices.

DocWalker

Why not CCW when it's prudent ?

1. If someone doesn't have a CCW they can't carry concealed, this could be due to the age of the person or waiting for one.

2. As in the theater the cops came in and asked who was armeded and made all three people (all carrying concealed) put their weapons in their cars. The movie theater was not posted but due to irrational fears and being PC the Law Abiding citizens were disarmed and did so as the good sheep they are.

My point is you can CC or OC but the world of the PC is the bigest road block to our liberty and freedom.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
My point is you can CC or OC but the world of the PC is the bigest road block to our liberty and freedom.

Please take VERY special note, the PC portion of your thoughts are EXACTLY what is in discussion. POLITICAL EFFORTS for OC preemption across this state are ongoing and if one is not PC during POLITICAL CAMPAIGNS they lose the audience, the end, it is just that simple.

I remain a very candid person at all times, I believe PC efforts are an absolute scientifically proven block to productivity, absolutely nothing about politics involves productivity.

I find it almost hard to function at times because of PC bs. i can not stand the things like "Do these pants make me look fat because my response is,
No, that would be your extra large ass that does that"

science over emotion any given day, but if you can't recognize that emotion runs politics, then you can't play the game and if you love science and are goping to play the game, then you can only look at how emotion may be manipulated and being PC is a huge part of manipulating emotion.

DocWalker

Please take VERY special note, the PC portion of your thoughts are EXACTLY what is in discussion. POLITICAL EFFORTS for OC preemption across this state are ongoing and if one is not PC during POLITICAL CAMPAIGNS they lose the audience, the end, it is just that simple.

I remain a very candid person at all times, I believe PC efforts are an absolute scientifically proven block to productivity, absolutely nothing about politics involves productivity.

I find it almost hard to function at times because of PC bs. i can not stand the things like "Do these pants make me look fat because my response is,
No, that would be your extra large ass that does that"

science over emotion any given day, but if you can't recognize that emotion runs politics, then you can't play the game and if you love science and are goping to play the game, then you can only look at how emotion may be manipulated and being PC is a huge part of manipulating emotion.

You can also PC yourself right out of your rights and freedoms, even your life.

To my my rights, freedoms, and liberty is not a game.

Redbaron007

Unfortunately, it is a very fine line.....however, it is sometimes not seen...and it isn't the same in every circumstance. :cry:

DocWalker

Unfortunately, it is a very fine line.....however, it is sometimes not seen...and it isn't the same in every circumstance. :cry:

I agree to a point.

Someone shoots up a theater and everyone now says it is not PC to carry in a theater anymore so nobody does; it becomes standard and nobody will ever be allowed to carry in a theater again.

Someone shoots up a mall and everyone says you should't carry in a mall and it would be incensitive to do so; everyone stops carrying in the mall just to be PC. Now everyone is used to thinking malls are off limits to carry so you can't carry in a mall.

Someone shoots up a park and they want to ban people from carrying in the park......

I could go on and on and on but the line has been drawn and they keep moving it away from our rights and people keep stepping back just to be PC. At least one lawyer didn't step back just to be PC recently. But like good sheep most people do, we just have to look behind us and see we are close to backing up over a cliff.

I'm done backing up!

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate

Excuse me?

I tried to be clear, but let me help. WE ARE TRYING TO GET RIGHTS ALREADY INFRINGED BACK!

You can blame some morons back in 1983 or 4 for the infringement, trying to get a law REVERSED in MO is no easy task.

Rich

Redbaron007

I agree to a point.

....snip....

I could go on and on and on but the line has been drawn and they keep moving it away from our rights and people keep stepping back just to be PC. At least one lawyer didn't step back just to be PC recently. But like good sheep most people do, we just have to look behind us and see we are close to backing up over a cliff.

I'm done backing up!

Correct...the line has been drawn...did this guy cross it?

However, I guess my question would be, did the person who was patronizing this theater help or hurt the cause to obtain preempt OC in MO? I say he didn't help; IMHO, he stepped across the line from ideological to PC damage. We will prolly not know the final answer to this question until the end of our next general assembly, regarding the damage he did. On the flip, he very well could be the straw that broke the camel's back and causes the bureaucrats to pass preemptive OC. Only time will tell.

Cody1820

Maybe if someone had been packing at the theater in Colorado their wouldn't have been as many lives lost. However if this guy had a ccw I think he should've opted to cc. But he doesn't have to. Either way though im not going anywhere without it.
Think about copycat killers.....