• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Supreme court ruling (mcdonald vs. Chicago)

B

Bikenut

The people should not need to rely upon the courts and the ballots to handle an oppressive government. The government should always keep in mind that their job is not to oppress the people but to ensure freedom, rights and defense for the people.

If I were an oppressor, I would pass a plethora of laws and let them wind their way through the courts and let people think they could change things through the ballot. If one or two things got through, you pass another set of laws. At some point, people give up, or the people who remember "how things were" pass away and the new generation accepts the new laws as status quo, thereby not challenging them.

What would stop me? An insurrection every now and then. If there's a chance of me getting shot, I'd be disinclined to mess around with fundamental rights.

In my opinion the part in blue sounds exactly like what has been going on in our Nation for quite a while now!

And, in my opinion, the part in red is what this Nation has been skating very close to for a somewhat short while now.

In fact, it is my opinion that the only thing that has kept the part in red from already happening is the vain hope that November's elections will keep the part in red from being necessary.

simmonsjoe

You're OK then with your mind enslaved and evil. The drive to the lowest most common denominator, ignorance, is evil. And that isn't the government's business either.
What are you even talking about here Doug? I agree with many of your posts that I understand. Unfortunately 75% of the time your posts seem 'out of place' for lack of a better term. Its like your in the middle of a conversation with someone else, and some random part is overheard. Unfortunately its usually some insult or derogatory comment that isn't even relevant. Its as if your insulting one person for what someone else did or thought. There is no apparent correlation.

I feel as if the members of this board are often like placeholders, or dolls, to you. We're just representatives of people and ideas you disliked and for whatever reason didn't confront when you had the chance. So while we are having a discussion on a subject, your responding to people from your past. The triggers that draw up these memories are tangential and have no substantive relevance. Therefor your posts are out of time and context. If you had said these things when you wish you had, its possible they would be witty, biting and valuable.

This is not meant as a challenge or insult.

Last edited:

simmonsjoe

Teddy bears at a tea party with Doug.

You're OK then with your mind enslaved and evil. The drive to the lowest most common denominator, ignorance, is evil. And that isn't the government's business either.
What are you even talking about here Doug? I agree with some of your posts that I understand. Unfortunately 75% of the time your posts seem 'out of place' for lack of a better term. Its like your in the middle of a conversation with someone else, and some random part is overheard. Unfortunately its usually some insult or derogatory comment that isn't even relevant. Its as if your insulting one person for what someone else did or thought. There is no apparent correlation.

I feel as if the members of this board are like placeholders to you. We're just representatives of people and ideas you disliked and for whatever reason didn't confront when you had the chance. So while we are having a discussion on a subject, your responding to people from your past. The triggers that draw up these memories are tangential and have no substantive relevance. Therefor your posts are out of time and context. If you had said these things when you wish you had, its possible they would be witty, biting and valuable.

This is not an insult or challenge.

We-the-People

Please read again the level of oppressiveness about which I was talking: so oppressive that the built-in means of slapping it down (courts, ballots, etc.) fail. Once again, we aren't there yet.

If and when we get there, we 1776 their butts. Until then, we use the institutions or forefathers put in place following that last general 1776ing.

If you think the election process works simply google search for youtube videos about Obama polling violations and start watching. Hint: Campaign materials and workers INSIDE polling places, some actually handing out Obama campaign materials to voters requestion help...... "how to vote" pamphlets INSIDE POLLING PLACES with big arrows dawn to Obama's name and instructions on how to vote for the demorat party in full (all demorat candidates) with a single pull of the lever....... and the most aggregious case in my opinion, two black panthers, one with a baton (that's a CLUB) standing in front of the entrance to the polling place intimidating people. One was charged but Eric Holder (Obama's guy) told DOJ to drop all charges after they had decided to prosecute the guy.

WE ARE OPPRESSED.

Todays oppression of me included:
Mandated wearing of seat belt while driving.
Mandated not to use my cell phone while driving.
Mandatory drivers license to exercise my Constitutional right to pursuit of happiness and freedom of travel
Mandatory state permit to carry my Constitutionall guaranteed firearm.
Mandatory registration fees on my vehicle, trailer, and boat in order to exercise my right to pursuit of happiness.
Mandatory "certified" thow cushion, mandatory life vests, mandatory placard limiting my boats HP, number of persons, and total weight, again infringing upon my right to pursue happiness.
Mandatory (and worthless) "boater safety" certificate in order to operate my boat "safely".
Mandated limit of 5 fish
Mandatory insurance on my truck, government making me buy a product from a private business in order to exercise my RIGHTS to pursuit of happiness and freedom of travel.
I have no idea how much I paid today in taxes fbut let's consider a few of the things I did or used today that are taxed.: My home, my electricity, my phone, my internet, my truck, my boat, the tires they use, their fuel, my cigarettes, earned some interest on my investments (probably, I haven't checked today), my pistol, my ammunition, fishing license, boaters safety card (it's "fee").

Every damn moment of my life today the US and State government were taking a little piece of the action. THAT IS OPPRESSION.

eye95

If you think the election process works simply google search for youtube videos about Obama polling violations and start watching. Hint: Campaign materials and workers INSIDE polling places, some actually handing out Obama campaign materials to voters requestion help...... "how to vote" pamphlets INSIDE POLLING PLACES with big arrows dawn to Obama's name and instructions on how to vote for the demorat party in full (all demorat candidates) with a single pull of the lever....... and the most aggregious case in my opinion, two black panthers, one with a baton (that's a CLUB) standing in front of the entrance to the polling place intimidating people. One was charged but Eric Holder (Obama's guy) told DOJ to drop all charges after they had decided to prosecute the guy.

WE ARE OPPRESSED.

Mandatory drivers license to exercise my Constitutional right to pursuit of happiness and freedom of travel
Mandatory registration fees on my vehicle, trailer, and boat in order to exercise my right to pursuit of happiness.
Mandatory "certified" thow cushion, mandatory life vests, mandatory placard limiting my boats HP, number of persons, and total weight, again infringing upon my right to pursue happiness.
Mandatory (and worthless) "boater safety" certificate in order to operate my boat "safely".
Mandated limit of 5 fish
Mandatory insurance on my truck, government making me buy a product from a private business in order to exercise my RIGHTS to pursuit of happiness and freedom of travel.
I have no idea how much I paid today in taxes fbut let's consider a few of the things I did or used today that are taxed.: My home, my electricity, my phone, my internet, my truck, my boat, the tires they use, their fuel, my cigarettes, earned some interest on my investments (probably, I haven't checked today), my pistol, my ammunition, fishing license, boaters safety card (it's "fee").

Every damn moment of my life today the US and State government were taking a little piece of the action. THAT IS OPPRESSION.

To all of that, I would simply reply:

Please read again the level of oppressiveness about which I was talking: so oppressive that the built-in means of slapping it down (courts, ballots, etc.) fail. Once again, we aren't there yet.

If and when we get there, we 1776 their butts. Until then, we use the institutions or forefathers put in place following that last general 1776ing.

From a practical POV, you essentially have three choices:

1. Take up arms. (As I said, IMO, we are not there yet.)

2. Move to a country with more Liberty. (Oh, wait, there isn't one.)

3. Use the institutions put in place by our Founders to put the government in check. (They work better here than any place else.)

If you select #1, I won't be joining you. Heck, I'd fight you. Furthermore, such should not be advocated here. The owners of the site have made it abundantly clear that they believe our institutions are still functioning and should be used to fix the oppressions that exist.

Anyway, I don't see this discussion as being productive any more. So, I'll move on. Feel free to take the last word.

simmonsjoe

Don't Hasten The Day

I don't agree with eye95 all the time, but he is correct here.

I would add anyone who disagrees with him should watch this video by Nutnfancy.

Nutnfancy - Don't hasten the day.

If you don't know who he is, check out his youtube page.
He is a hard-core preparation for WROL (without rule of law) guy.
He's totally legit and has more cred. than anyone on this board.

since9

Campaign Veteran
WE ARE OPPRESSED.

Mandated limit of 5 fish

No it's not. Not even close. You want to see oppression? Visit one of half a dozen countries around the world where genocide is currently a work in progress.

In the meantime:

Mandated wearing of seat belt while driving - keeps mine and others' uninsured and underinsured motorists portions of our insurance rates down because about one fifth of the public do not carry insurance or carry less than adequate levels, and medical payouts to idiots who refuse to buckle up are far greater than medical payouts to those who do buckle up.

Mandated not to use my cell phone while driving - keeps mine and others' uninsured and underinsured motorists portions of our insurance rates down because about one fifth of the public do not carry insurance or carry less than adequate levels, and it's a proven statistic that cell phone use, whether texting or even just talking, increases the risk of accident. It also keeps me safer, as fewer people using their cell phone means more people paying attention while driving.

Mandatory drivers license to exercise my Constitutional right to pursuit of happiness and freedom of travel - helps keep those who repeatedly violate that right by crashing into others or pursing their happiness and freedom of drinking and driving remain off the road and if they don't it helps keep them behind bars. But if you'd like to exercise your right without a license, by all means, buy a good pair of walking shoes or a bicycle and have at it. A vehicle is a deadly weapon. Sneakers are not.

Mandatory state permit to carry my Constitutionall guaranteed firearm. I agree with you here. If it's a Constitutional right, the Constitution and something showing your status as a U.S. citizen should be your permit.

Mandatory registration fees on my vehicle, trailer, and boat in order to exercise my right to pursuit of happiness - keeps mine and others' uninsured and underinsured motorists portions of our insurance rates down because about one fifth of the public do not carry insurance or carry less than adequate levels, and registration helps ensure your vehicle, trailer, and boat are both in proper working order (at least in some states), while also curbing black market sales.

Mandatory "certified" thow cushion, mandatory life vests, mandatory placard limiting my boats HP, number of persons, and total weight, again infringing upon my right to pursue happiness - helps to ensure your passengers' right to pursue happiness, particularly as they trust you, their boat captain, to keep them safe, and you, their boat captain, bear a civic responsibility to do so, the same as you do by ensuring your brakes and tires are in good working order before you accept the responsibilty of safely transporting someone in your car.

Mandatory (and worthless) "boater safety" certificate in order to operate my boat "safely" - helps ensure those who fall more towards the clueless end are brought up a notch or two so they pose less of a threat to myself and my family while we're out boating. I would propose people be allowed to take a test without having to go through the class, but those who fail the test would claim it's not fair, so I just chalk it up to one of those civic pains, like stopping at a red light even though there's no traffic within half a mile of the intersection.

Mandated limit of 5 fish - and this somehow qualifies as "oppression" how?

Mandatory insurance on my truck, government making me buy a product from a private business in order to exercise my RIGHTS to pursuit of happiness and freedom of travel - helps keep my underinsured/uninsured rates down. Why in the world should I be forced to pay higher premiums because you choose not to carry an appropriate level of insurance?

My point in writing the above is to remind you, and all of us, that rights do not exist in a vacuum. They come tied at the neck with responsibilities. If everyone were appropriately and equally responsible, or if we all lived on tiny, separate islands, we would have not have laws on the books which require us to accomplish certain tasks of minimal civic responsibility.

Our laws exist because all too often, someone wants to enjoy their rights while shirking their responsibilities, or abuses their rights (as in drinking and driving) after having shirked their responsibilities. Thus, if you refuse to register your vehicle, it's a fine, possible confiscation, and even jail time if you persist. Plus, some of those registration fees are use fees - the roads don't pay for themselves. Neither does snow removal equipment, etc.

Other such responsibilities closer to our hearts on this forum include properly holstering and securing your firearm to prevent unauthorized grabs, thefts, and access in general.

If you refuse to shoulder the responsibilities of living among other humans, I welcome you to work hard so you can afford to buy that tiny island and live somewhere the only laws to which you must answer are those you make yourself.

If you do, however, I'll not be visiting such a lawless island.

We-the-People

I typed out a big long reply addressing each issue but decided it wouldn't matter. Insurance seems to be the main driving force. Just insure your stuff, if I want to insure mine I will. Simple. It's how ObamaCare is going to be killed in the courts.

Are you aware the Chicago's Mayor now wants to mandate liability insurance for gun owners? No difference right?

The Donkey

I typed out a big long reply addressing each issue but decided it wouldn't matter. Insurance seems to be the main driving force. Just insure your stuff, if I want to insure mine I will. Simple. It's how ObamaCare is going to be killed in the courts.

Are you aware the Chicago's Mayor now wants to mandate liability insurance for gun owners? No difference right?

"Optional" automobile insurance would work only if you allowed it only for those wealthy enough to pay for the potential damage they do when they drive.

Chances are the Health Care law will survive the Commerce Clause challenge.

The problem with mandatory firearm insurance: keeping and bearing is a FUNDAMENTAL right.

Driving and sponging off the health care system are not.